· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Saltwater Fish For A 55 Gallon / Flame Angel!

0 Not allowed!
    Alrighty so i posted a while ago on a different forum about a ton of saltwater questions and so far this is what i got (this referring to the picture attached) i still have a bit of aquascaping to do but this is my 55 gallon tank so far it's cycling now and i want to start seriously considering fish/invertebrates to add =). the picture doesn't do it justice and there is still lots of swimming room. eventually the goal is to make this a reef tank and upgrade in maybe a little over year or so to something twice the size. just gonna list some fish i really like and i've read a bit about and i'm more than open to any recommendations/advice/telling me what is and isn't compatible and how many!!!

(also future plans to add corals, mostly basic like mushrooms and polyps and whatnot =)

-black ice clownfish (they sell them at my lfs and i love them)

-damselfish (though i've heard they're the devil and if that's true then they are out!)

-chromis (i love the colors of most of the blue green ones)

-anthias (i love the sorbet like colors of the randall's anthias, as well as any other anthias with similar colors)

-tangs (beautiful but as far as i'm aware my tank is too small for any tangs until the day i upgrade)

-orchid dotty back (just in general love it and purple is my favorite color)

-butterfly fish (again tanks too small, and as far as i'm aware they aren't reef safe)

AND last but definitely not least the FLAME ANGEL!!! it is by far my favorite fish and one day i dream to own this beauty, i have done sooooooooo much research into the flame angel for a million different things (this is my number one fish and i want one more than anything else i've mentioned!!!) i've read everywhere about if they are reef safe and some people say NONONO definitely not but i've actually heard many more success stories about if you keep up with regular feeding they won't constantly nip and kill the corals (any personal opinions?) also might not do corals for quite a while till i can get some stronger lighting (not too strong of course but strong enough) but I WANT THIS FISH!!!

please help me come up with a good mix of fish and suggest any cleaners or invertebrates or anything that can get along with some combination of these fish (preferably a combination including the flame angel)

thanks for any input =)

IMG_2074.jpg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    also forgot -flasher wrasses (don't know much about them but they are pretty)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Is that actual marine rock in your tank or just tank decorations ?

What are you planning to use for biological filtration ?

How are you cycling the tank ?

Do you have any powerheads for water movement?

And getting to your fish list, the reason why you get conflicting info on flame angels is that some of them will nip at corals and some will not. You have about a 70% of getting one that will be completely reef safe, and a 30% chance of getting one that nips at corals. I have had mine for well over 5 years now and he has not bothered any corals at all. I would say it is worth a try, but make sure you can take the fish back if he starts nipping at corals.

Damsels will get territorial when they get a little older and settle into a tank. That is not a matter of if but a matter of how bad. This will become a problem for you down the road

Anthias may not be a good fit until you upgrade you tank. Generally speaking, many of them need to be in groups (1 male to 4 females) and they will get a little too big for your tank based on their activity level and need for hiding spots in the rock. They also very very very good and stable water conditions making them better suited for a very mature set-up

Chormis will work, along with the dottyback. You will just have to be careful with both a dotty back and a flame angel in the same tank. Sometimes that combination will not work, while other times it will.

I would also thing your tank would be too small for most tangs. If you are going to up-grade, then I would suggest to wait until then to get a tang.

If you want a reef, then butterflys are out. Practically all of them will pick at corals at some point. You may be able to keep a copperband butterfly, but those are very hard to keep.

Before you start to thing about stocking anything in your tank, you will need to add more marine rock to the tank. You will need to create more a of natural environment for the fish you want to keep, such as natural looking hiding spots in the tank. I would suggest getting some live rock, placing it on the bottom of the tank and getting the big flat pc of rock laying flat on the new rock
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Is that actual marine rock in your tank or just tank decorations ?

What are you planning to use for biological filtration ?

How are you cycling the tank ?

Do you have any powerheads for water movement?

And getting to your fish list, the reason why you get conflicting info on flame angels is that some of them will nip at corals and some will not. You have about a 70% of getting one that will be completely reef safe, and a 30% chance of getting one that nips at corals. I have had mine for well over 5 years now and he has not bothered any corals at all. I would say it is worth a try, but make sure you can take the fish back if he starts nipping at corals.

Damsels will get territorial when they get a little older and settle into a tank. That is not a matter of if but a matter of how bad. This will become a problem for you down the road

Anthias may not be a good fit until you upgrade you tank. Generally speaking, many of them need to be in groups (1 male to 4 females) and they will get a little too big for your tank based on their activity level and need for hiding spots in the rock. They also very very very good and stable water conditions making them better suited for a very mature set-up

Chormis will work, along with the dottyback. You will just have to be careful with both a dotty back and a flame angel in the same tank. Sometimes that combination will not work, while other times it will.

I would also thing your tank would be too small for most tangs. If you are going to up-grade, then I would suggest to wait until then to get a tang.

If you want a reef, then butterflys are out. Practically all of them will pick at corals at some point. You may be able to keep a copperband butterfly, but those are very hard to keep.

Before you start to thing about stocking anything in your tank, you will need to add more marine rock to the tank. You will need to create more a of natural environment for the fish you want to keep, such as natural looking hiding spots in the tank. I would suggest getting some live rock, placing it on the bottom of the tank and getting the big flat pc of rock laying flat on the new rock

THANKS SO MUCH =) for all the advice, all the rocks in my tank are live rocks and the centerpiece is a large coral that I believe is live, (it was in the tank with live rocks at my LFS for about a month. and i am also adding more natural looking live rocks and making a couple little caves today.
    if by biological filtration you mean filters (sorry i am still pretty new to saltwater, but have about 2 years of successful freshwater) then i currently have a marineland penguin bio-wheel model 350 and ordered a really good protein skimmer online a few days ago. I am also planning on getting in a few days a Hydor Koralia with 1550 GPH. I was at my lfs today and so far I know i want an orchid dotty back, a pair of black ice ocellaris clownfish, and i would love a flasher wrasse but still want to do looooooots more research before putting anything together. thanks for all the advice so far and if you have anymore be sure to share it I'm open minded =) and can't forget but the last thing i want to put into the tank is the flame angel =) i say last because i've heard it's less aggressive if introduced last

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    If you have live rock, then you do not need a filter. In a properly set up saltwater tank, you do not need a filter at all as the live rock will process the ammonia in the fish wast, just like the filter media in a freshwater set-up. The below links might be of help for you.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/com...ine-aquariums/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/the...nd-movement-2/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks so much i'll check out the links now =)