· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

Default Cycling New Tank with 1 Filter & Media From Old Tank

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a 20 Gallon that's been cycled & running since Oct 2014. I just got a new 29 Gallon Tank.
    I was told I could automatically Cycle It, using one of the old Filter from the Old Tank.
    I have 2 HOB Filters in the Old Tank, both with Media, Bio Rings.
    I'm replacing the Old filter in the old tank with a new Aqua Clear 50.
    Will this plan work? And how long will the New 29 Gallon Tank take, to completely Cycle, using the old Media (Filter)?
    Also, am I doing any harm to the Fish in the old Tank, by taking some of their established Media away?
    Thanks in advance.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    (Angel Fish, Gold Severum, Black Neons, Cory Cats, Cherry Barbs)
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I haven't had success with using seeded media to hasten a cycle on a new tank.

I'd recommend leaving your established tank/filters alone, and starting a fishless cycle with ammonia on the new tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

1 Not allowed!
    How did I know you were going to say that? ;-)
    Well, I really want to replace the old Top Fin HOB Filter in the Old Tank with an Aqua Clear 50.
    So, Would it really be harmful to change the Filters to my existing Fish in the Old Tank? The media in the old Tank has been established since last October.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Slaphappy7, Please Read My Other Post. So U get an idea of my game plan.
    Go Here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=120833
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You're pyschic?

Should be fine to use the media from the Top Fin in the new AC50, along with as much ceramic media as you can fill it with, on the existing tank.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe I did not explain myself right. It's confusing because we are talking many Filters here. Sorry. It is confusing.
    I'm not just moving the Media, I'm moving the entire Top Fin Filter to the new talk, unwashed. Then I'm putting an Aqua Clear 50 on the old Tank. There is still an old Tetra 20 Filter with Media in the Old Tank that has been there always..
    I already have a Bio Wheel 200B running in the New Tank. I'm keeping that in the new tank with the addition of the Top Fin 20 Filter from the old Tank with all of it's Media.
    So this way both Tanks will have beneficial Bacteria. The new tank is almost 10 more gallons so we shall see if it's enough media to cycle it.
    How long do you think it would take the new Tank to Cycle?
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    You will be moving BB from your old tank to the new....a significant amount, enough to harm the fish in the original tank?....that's anybody's guess...you could have a mini-cycle, you'll just have to keep an eye on params and do WC's as necessary

Everyone's cycle is different, and different for each tank...I can't "guess" how long your's will take, but all 3 of mine took at least 3 weeks, seeded media or not

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    OK. That first line just scared the heck out of me. I did not think it would cause my old tank problems.
    So I guess I'm gonna' do this the Hard Way. Complete Cycle without Fish.
    So here I go again. About how much Ammonia do I need to put in the New Tank for the 1st Part of the long & painful cycle. ;-)
    It's a 29 Gallon Tank & I want it to get to 4ppm Ammonia, correct?
    So about 3cc's of Ammonia? A Capful? It's been a while. And I will reread the Cycle Without Fish Sticky.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I aimed for 3 ppm to begin my 29G:

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I just did the same. Thanks for The Calculator. ;-)
    I'll do an Ammonia Test in an Hour to see where I am.
    Thanks for the help. As you can tell, I follow your lead!
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)