· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Anytime!....good luck with the cycle....

Don't forget to up the temp to 82F and throw in a bubbler if you have one
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

1 Not allowed!
    That part I remembered. Did that already. I'll let you know what the Ammonia was, when I Test.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    (Angel Fish, Gold Severum, Black Neons, Cory Cats, Cherry Barbs)
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Good luck with your new fishless cycle, Dino! You are doing the right thing, this way. Good for you (and your fish)!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Keep at it, you'll get there! - Slaphppy7   Patience, friend.  You WILL get there - fishmommie   Finally cycled! - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say it's between 1 & 2 ppm. Should be OK. Sorry for the BIG photo.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]40161[/ATTACH]IMG_0690.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I haven't had success with using seeded media to hasten a cycle on a new tank.

I'd recommend leaving your established tank/filters alone, and starting a fishless cycle with ammonia on the new tank.
    I agree with Matt.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino1956 View Post
    I'd say it's between 1 & 2 ppm. Should be OK. Sorry for the BIG photo.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]40161[/ATTACH]IMG_0690.jpg
    Is this your initial dose - I'd say it's 1 ppm.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, Initial Dose. You Think I need more Ammonia? I did it according to the Calculator. It said add to add 3.45 ml. according to my Tank Size (29 Gallons).
    The other picture it looks darker in. Thanks for looking. Let me know what you guys think. I have enough Ammonia in my house to clean 2 School Buildings. ;-)
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    With a small tank such as a 29 gallon, you don't need much ammonia. You will only be needing a cycle to sustain the stock you will have in there. Since you won't be stocking with a great deal of fish, you don't need to have a bacteria bed that would support loads of fish.........or big fish. It will cycle just fine bringing the ammonia to 1-2.

You could also move that filter over to that tank that you wanted to put there. I would have to disagree with earlier posts that adding seeded material does not help a cycle. Rather than waiting on bacteria to grow, of course it will help if you have bacteria right from the get-go. Had it been me, I would have moved that filter over as you wanted to do and stocked slowly until the second filter had seeded, as well. Sometimes a tank breaks or leaks and we need to move fish into a new tank immediately. We slap on a seeded filter and call it done.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    With a small tank such as a 29 gallon, you don't need much ammonia. You will only be needing a cycle to sustain the stock you will have in there. Since you won't be stocking with a great deal of fish, you don't need to have a bacteria bed that would support loads of fish.........or big fish. It will cycle just fine bringing the ammonia to 1-2.

You could also move that filter over to that tank that you wanted to put there. I would have to disagree with earlier posts that adding seeded material does not help a cycle. Rather than waiting on bacteria to grow, of course it will help if you have bacteria right from the get-go. Had it been me, I would have moved that filter over as you wanted to do and stocked slowly until the second filter had seeded, as well. Sometimes a tank breaks or leaks and we need to move fish into a new tank immediately. We slap on a seeded filter and call it done.
    I have to agree with this. When I bought some fish unexpectedly (5 Hastatus cories that I had never seen available before) and they would not work in one of my existing tanks, I set up a small 2.5g tank, small filter and brought over media (piece of sponge and some biomedia) I took from 2 other tanks along with a few plants. They stayed in that tank for 4 months. I subsequently set up a larger 5g tank and moved them over, adding the media from the smaller tank to the media from the larger tank in one filter. 7 months later they are still going strong.

Same thing if you upgrade from one tank to another larger one. Bring over the original seeded filter, maybe add a 2nd new filter if needed, and add all original fish immediately. The original seeded filter takes care of things while the new one catches up. I've done this too and did not go through a new cycle. I did wait more than a month to add any new fish however.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Lady Hobbs & Sue D for your input & knowledge.

My biggest concern is the Fish in the old Tank that I'd be taking the Filter or just filter media from.
    There are 2 HOB filters in that Tank with Media.
    If I take one filter out or just it's media & replace it with a new filter (or New Media), will there still be enough media left to sustain the existing cycle in the Tank, and not harm my fish?
    My fish are my main concern here.

I could just take the filter media out of the one filter & put it in the new tank. And then just put new media back in the old tanks filter.
    That would be easier and this way that filter stays where it is.

I would think after 6 months, there would be enough Media in the old Tank, where taking half of it away, would not do any damage to my fish.
    But I don't know. That's why I'm asking.
    75 Gallon Freshwater
    29 Gallon Freshwater
    (Gold Severum, Corys)