· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

Default Hippie the 3-toed Box Turtle

2 Not allowed!
    Yes his name is Hippie. He was my younger brother's turtle which he simply left behind when he moved out years ago and I adopted him and have taken care of him for the past 14 years or so. He has gone from my brother's 10 gallon tank, to a improved 40B glass tank, but was so distracted with the see through glass (he would try to dig through it almost 80% of his day) that I bought him a wooden tortoise house and he feels a lot more secure in it. He has been in the family for about 25 years now and enjoys long baths in his wading pool, moist sphagnum moss to hide in and climbing his 1/2 log hide-hole and playing "King of the Mountain!" He also loves fresh vegetables and fruits (the bitter the better), giant meal worms and used to love cicada larva in our old house which we would catch for him in the summer. Lake county doesn't have the cicada problems like Cook county did, so he hasn't had Cicada since we moved here. He also gets some pelleted box turtle food as well as some freeze dried krill (which, surprisingly he loves).

I just cleaned up his home, re-hydrated his moss and re-arranged his "climbing" rocks (gives him a little exercise in the winter). I also gave him some fresh water in his wading pool. Though he has a dish full of water, his favorite way to drink is in his pool. Then when he is done he soaks himself, does his business and leaves. However he had already done his business earlier, so all he needed was another drink before snuggling up in his 1/2 log hide and going to bed.

Picture3.jpg
    Perusing his newly cleaned/hydrated home after eating a couple meal worms while the cleaning crew was working...
    Picture4.jpg
    ...and running directly to his pool for a nice drink. Gotta really stretch to reach the water.
    Picture5.jpg
    He loves it when I call him and tell him, "Hippie is a handsome man!"
    Picture6.jpg
    He had had his fill of water and cameras and is running to bed.

When the weather is better (and we have not fertilized the grass) he goes outside for some exercise. We just have to be on the lookout for the red-tailed hawks as they have been known to take small dogs and cats. So he is never outside unsupervised.

This guy is awesome, lets me pick him up, clean him off when he gets into mud, trim his nails (grudgingly) and never-ever bites. My mellow man, Hippie is a very good name for him!
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    He's a handsome boy, with a cool setup!...thanks for sharing
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    He is very handsome! Great pics! I love tortoises
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rue. Hippie is actually a 3-toed box turtle. He has 3-toes on his hind legs and unlike tortoises, he likes more bugs in his diet than veggies.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    he likes more bugs in his diet than veggies.
    He and I have that in common!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Thanks Rue. Hippie is actually a 3-toed box turtle. He has 3-toes on his hind legs and unlike tortoises, he likes more bugs in his diet than veggies.
    Thanks! I need to pay more attention when I read!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's okay, I have glossed over stuff too, mostly cause I am at work and half paying attention sometimes. No worries
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    Hippie my 3-toed box turtle (and the room he resides in) got a new look this weekend (well mainly Saturday-all day). His wooden box was warping and just not fairing too well and for the longest time I have wanted to build him a bigger enclosure. However with all of the work going on for putting the house on the market I don't have the time or space to put something together for him. Looking for alternatives that would not break the bank (Waterland tubs are awesome in design and price) I stumbled across using small animal (sheep-goats) stock tubs as enclosures. I was original going to go with a 110 gallon enclosure from Tuff Stuff, but it was almost 24" tall. While I was at the store (Tractor Supply Co. store) I saw a Rubbermaid foam tub that was 50 gallons-a bit bigger footprint than the Tuff Stuff tub without the ridiculous height to it, it was about $20 more but perfect in every other way. (Sis saw a 300 gallon version and we may have a pod in our future, lol)

Well this weekend was when I had penciled in time to re do the TV/Bird/Hippie/Fish-spare room. I had a bulky L shaped computer desk that was home to 2 of my cycads and one large Jade plant as well as my Sister's 10 gallon betta-Strika's tank. There also was Hippie's box on top of a coffee table taking up the rest of the space under the window. The combo of the desk and coffee table and hippie box and plants made the room a bit cluttered and claustrophobic. So we put a very angry betta into a betta cup and floated her in the 20L with some curious chillis (who soothed the raging beast that Strika had become), moved the 90% empty tank (there are some amano shrimp in the tank) to the floor, removed the old turtle enclosure, removed the coffee table, I took down the desk and did a deep cleaning to remove all of the bird feathers from the vicinity. Anyone with birds knows what I am talking about-if you don't then just for fun take a down pillow, open it and throw feathers around your 10'x9' room-then repeat with another pillow and you will get the idea.

After emptying the 1/2 of the room I brought the 50 gallon tub upstairs, along with two 40 pound bags of topsoil, some sphagnum moss (powdered-peat and the actual dried moss kind, a slate tile and clay pot. Filled the tub with the top soil with the peat moss and mixed it up as well as I could (peat moss is for humidity and as anti fungal properties. Also make the dirt less dense so he can dig in it. I soaked 3 bags of the other sphagnum moss (the decorative-moss kind) which is also for humidity and for him to dig in/burrow in, and placed a clay pot which I half buried in the dirt as a "den" for him. I knew he may take advantage of this to climb and try his routine of "king of the mountain" and he obliged me so I had to go and remove the pot. All of this took me almost all Saturday, the rest of the day I could not move from taking a coffee table down, a desk and a turtle cage, a coffee table up, a 50 gallon tub, 80 pounds of top soil and partridge in a pear tree down or up a flight or 2 of stairs. Well here is the trouble maker in his new digs. I have plans to add some plants for him to graze and hide in, add some earthworms for enrichment for him, and a water pool with filter to spoil him.

Last edited by Boundava; 05-16-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I just noticed the similarities between Hippie's trough and Goosefoot's trough...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    You ladies are making me want a turtle/tortoise so bad! So lets see, fish, birds and now turtles and possibly frogs!