· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Well Hippie is getting some new digs this weekend. When I was at the Expo I walked by the Zoo Med booth and saw this and it hit me like a ton of bricks...that would be the perfect turtle tank!

BFT-50F_Low_Boy_Frag_Tank.jpg

Was talking to the guy there and he said they actually made this design originally for box turtles and tortoise babies, then someone looked at it and thought what a great frag tank, and someone else thought a good breeding tank-so they have the same tanks manufactured with 3 labels.
    This is so much nicer than the stock tub that is also 50 gallons and this one gives him so much more floor space as it is a rectangle vs. the rubbermaid stock tub oval-that he doesn't seem to really like and is kinda difficult to work with due to its sloping sides. Wish I would have know about it prior to setting up the stock tank, but this will look a lot better for the room and for the turtle and now I can put a heating pad back on the tank for him.

So since it was almost $50 difference getting it at the expo versus at the store I bought it there and they are holding it at the local Aquarium Expo.

I will be making a background for the back corner of the tank with a tree hide for him. I will add a small layer of dirt mixed with coco bark-no sphagnum moss other than in his hide.

HP2.jpg
    VS.
    HP3.jpg

Left my drawings for the hide and background at home but the design is similar to this for the background:
    images.jpg

And the tree stump will be this shape but more (like a lightening stuck broken stump) tree like.

trunkmix.jpg

If I make it flat on top he will climb it and flip himself over because he is like that. The back of it will be corner shaped and then rounded in the front. It will be about 8-10" big on the inside and will be the only place that has sphagnum moss for him to hide in. I say that because he drags that stuff into his food and water dishes and it makes a huge mess. He only digs in it to sleep and when he had a hide (and before he became suicidal and would climb the hide and jump off of it often flipping over or wedging himself to the side of his box) he would sleep in there exclusively.
    Last edited by Boundava; 11-09-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    Cool! :D What are the dimensions?

About the heating pad? I thought that was a no-no?
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    48" x 24" x 10" and this is the heating pad-its ok for glass tanks.

RH-4_ReptiTherm_UTH.jpg

I know its for a tank a lot smaller than 50 gallons-but the light on the other side is UVA/B and a basking light for heat and will cover the 1/3 of the tank while its on which is 12 hours.
    Last edited by Boundava; 11-09-2016 at 08:00 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Okay...so that is bigger than the one I have...which will still do us for this winter, but then I'll have to design Goosefoot a bigger indoor enclosure...

I know the under-tank heating pad is fine on glass, I have been using them for my roaches and I used one for the snake, , but I thought ANY heating pad was considered a no-no for tortoises/turtles. Overhead heat source only?
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He has always had an under tank heat pad when he was in a glass terrarium. Brother had him in a 10 gallon with one. I bumped him to a 40 breeder with one, but when I changed to that wooden tortoise box I couldn't place one so switched to overhead heat. I think as long as they can move away from the heat that is ok. I know in tank basking rocks are a no-no for turtles and tortoises as they can burn themselves on them.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Well left work and went to get the tank, then to home depot to get the insulation foam, drylok and some other misc supplies, then Michaels for paint as my paint and concrete pigment from my background build are (somewhere) in the basement. Finally got home and got to work cutting and gluing the foam around 2, was just able to get done cutting the corner background and the frame for his hide and gluing his hide together and spraying it with great stuff when 5 came around and it got so darn cold that I am currently wrapped in 2 fleece throws. I seem to be radiating cold instead of heat, lol. Photos are on the phone, too comfy now to get up and have to unwrap myself.

Plans for tomorrow are to carve the great foam to look like trunk and dirt, and glue the top on the hide, then glue the background corner together and put the paint on; supposed to be 32 degrees at 6am so I am going to try and be up by then so I can get the texture and sanding done by the time it warms up so I can get a couple coats on tomorrow. While the paint dries-and in between coats, I have the 75 WC and filters to do-along with cleaning, cooking and laundry. Then Sunday I will move him into his new digs hopefully.
    Last edited by Boundava; 11-12-2016 at 02:24 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Do you ever sleep?...just wondering

How cold is it getting there tonight?...humidity?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Lol Matt, I like to stay busy-nothing on TV and a girl can only play so much Fallout 4, Dragon Age, Skyrim or Banished in a week; for some reason I cannot get Steam to tell me why my Sims 3 collection refuses to play-would love to get back into that.

It says 40 right now with 68% humidity and expected 31 low tonight. Sorry I miss read the forecast tomorrow, its will be a high of 58-but only 32 at 6am so I will try to do a lot of texturing and sanding to prep for when I can paint. Wish my Dad hadn't hid all of the heaters he used to have in the garage when he cleaned up the garage last month. He had 2 electric and one propane (which was dumb as the fumes were as good as using a car running in a closed garage to heat it)-but who am I to logic with my Father when his motto is " I may not always be right, but I am never wrong", explain to me how that works?"

Oh well the hot knife, glue gun and spot light will have to keep me warm, along with socks (which I haven't worn yet), fingerless gloves, warm pants and a 3/4 sleeve top. I don't have any long sleeves I want to sacrifice to my tendency to get paint on myself whenever I paint, lol. I am an ar-tist that is why my Father makes a huge mess when he starts projects-and I am my Dad's girl in that respect-though I try to be more organized and planned than he does as I learned from watching him work He can improvise and build anything custom to work when you need it; but when you spend more time running to the hardware store than you do working on the project-you have a problem .
    Last edited by Boundava; 11-12-2016 at 02:46 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    LOL

Well alright then, TGIF, try to stop in here tomorrow, the long week I just had is finally over, and I'm ready for bed...

Before 9 PM, on a Friday night

Because this stupid standard daylight time has my mind and body thinking that it is midnight
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Well if you aren't in bed yet, I warmed up enough to un cocoon myself and get the phone for some rough shots of the little I did in the time I had.

Or not...I don't usualy have a problem uploading photos from my phone

20161111_174135.jpg
    20161111_174141.jpg

Well 2 of 5 uploaded.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room