· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

2 Not allowed!
    It's an addiction.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes it is!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I live in south florida and we have a screened in lanai i was thinking of getting a couple of those wooden tortoise houses that can be connected and putting it on the lanai, Im sure i could keep it out there year round.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    Actually, I don't think that will work. They really need a yard with foraging and digging opportunities, and plants, etc. The boxes are important for night, but even in Florida you'd need an insulated box with a heater for those cool nights. You might have to bring them in for part of the year as well.

Space requirements, indoor - for the smallest species - is a 4 X 8' enclosure, and bigger is recommended. Outside you'd want to go as big as possible. Seeing how active they are, I agree.

Of course the details also will vary depending on what species you have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post
    I just noticed the similarities between Hippie's trough and Goosefoot's trough...
    Yup, when looking up information on an indoor enclosure I found a lot more info on tortoise enclosures than box turtles-so I mixed a bit of both. Got some seeds started and when they grow a bit more i am planning on putting them in the tub too. Also got a shipment of red earthworms (they were about 1" long and almost angel hair pasta wide) as well as some wax and phoenix (black solder fly larva) worms. I put the worms in his tub to grow and as a source of future foraging food. We gave one to the biggest betta girl-Strika, and she succked it up like an extra long bloodworm, lol. I have been waiting for him to come out so I can grab him and give him his other worms-but he has been going from his new "den" to water/food when the coast is clear, and I don't really want to disturb him if he is sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwfish13 View Post
    You ladies are making me want a turtle/tortoise so bad! So lets see, fish, birds and now turtles and possibly frogs!
    It's an addiction.
    Its a life time commitment since many turtles and tortoises can live to be well over 70-so depending on when you get them they could well outlive you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwfish13 View Post
    I live in south florida and we have a screened in lanai i was thinking of getting a couple of those wooden tortoise houses that can be connected and putting it on the lanai, I'm sure i could keep it out there year round.
    One of those connectable wooden boxes is what Hippie had and I had wanted to get him another because in all reality it wasn't much bigger than the 40B he was in prior to the box, unfortunately since he loves water so much the box didn't wind up lasting as long as I had hoped it would, bottom was molding and the whole this was warping even with monthly tank cleanings. He's a wild man in water

Actually, I don't think that will work. They really need a yard with foraging and digging opportunities, and plants, etc. The boxes are important for night, but even in Florida you'd need an insulated box with a heater for those cool nights. You might have to bring them in for part of the year as well.

Space requirements, indoor - for the smallest species - is a 4 X 8' enclosure, and bigger is recommended. Outside you'd want to go as big as possible. Seeing how active they are, I agree.

Of course the details also will vary depending on what species you have.

I agree 100%-the tub I got him is a huge upgrade-but in all honesty I would have loves something about 2' longer and wider. Problem with the stock tub is the bigger it gets the deeper it gets, and he doesn't need a pool. Also bigger ones i saw were galvanized steel coated with nickle-which is not good to be living in.

For a good laugh Google the Rubbermaid stock tubs and you will see what interesting things people so with them, like this:

cb3b8032b1380d1eea0e0ebfb8aaec1b.jpg
    Family pool on the cheap

images (1).jpg
    $350 hot tub!

images (2).jpg
    oooohhhh ideas!
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of one of those huge troughs too. LOL. I don't want a pool, but on those rare 40 C days we get in the summer, it sure would be nice!

I'm even considering an outdoor shower...just the kind you take camping, but making a cute little spot for it. We wouldn't use it a lot, but I think it would feel great on a hot day - and saves us having a hose fight...

Wouldn't have to worry about people accidentally drowning in it...or attracting ducks...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I think it would still attract ducks, when we had a pool cover on our pool it would collect 18" of water on either side of the float and the ducks would still try to swim in it-silly ducks!

I agree it would make a nice cool off tank on those warm summer days. The best part of the pool was getting into the 60 degree water on a 90 degree day-oh was that refreshingly cold!
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

6 Not allowed!
    Took Hippie out for "Walkies" yesterday after work. Yup those are the late season cicadas you here...we couldn't find any, though we both were looking for them.

...excuse the mess by the swing-it's my Father's scrap lumber and will be going into a bagster as soon as he goes through "his" garage and basement tools and books. That area used to be a vegetable garden along with the section along the fence.
    Last edited by Boundava; 08-03-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

because you are going to need it with the new baby - Hockey nut   Thanks for the rep! Sorry about your losses :( - Silbar   I love your new butterfly garden1 - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   

4 Not allowed!
    What a great space Hippie has for his exercise.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    What a wonderful back yard you and Hippie have. I hope your new home will be just as much room to roam. BTW~ I love your garden/flower area, too.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie