· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Ammonia is Taking Forever...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all :)

I have been out of the scene for a long time! My husband transferred and we took our aquarium down to take a break. We recently got back into the hobby and put up a brand new 60 gallon tank. We put 9 platies and 4 black shirt tetras in it to cycle.

My question is: We've had fish in it since Feb. 19th but the ammonia levels have not budged at all- they are staying at zero. All tests are zero straight across the board. I have the temp set at 78 degrees. The pH is 7.6. Our filtration is a Fluval G3 series. Is there a reason why its taking so long to acquire an ammonia reading? Is this normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    What are you using to test the ammonia? And have you read this to refresh your memory.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   a betta for your tank ;) - genocidex   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   good for you for saving the goldfish - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    if you have a test kit how long have you had it. sound like you have an expired one or are using test strips
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My test kit is the API liquid drops kind. We have never used those paper test strips bc they are inaccurate. The kit we have is brand new- got it when we got the fish.

I read up on everything before we put the tank up and several times since. I did realize after I had already posted... we have 9 fish total- 5 platies-4 black skirts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Describe the steps you take to test the ammonia...

What are the nitrIte and nitrAte levels?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    8 drops from Ammonia bottle one, 8 drops from Ammonia bottle two into 5 ml of water. Shake for 5 seconds and set a timer for 5 minutes, just like the directions say.

Nitrites and nitrates are both zero.

My son is picking up a new Master Water Test Kit today, even though the one we have has an expiration date of 2019.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, that's how you do it

Just noticed you are a fellow Texan

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Yep, that's how you do it

Just noticed you are a fellow Texan
    Yep. Texas (Northeast) born and raised for 33 years! We transferred to Baton Rouge in 2012 for my husband's job.

Just tested Ammonia and Nitrites again... Ammonia is .25 and Nitrites are zero. I just wish this would get going; we are ready to add more fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm born and raised, but a tad few more years than that

For the trAte test, did you shake the 2nd bottle like crazy?...like you've never shaken anything before?

I'm most puzzled that you are not showing nitrAtes at all...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I'm born and raised, but a tad few more years than that

For the trAte test, did you shake the 2nd bottle like crazy?...like you've never shaken anything before?

I'm most puzzled that you are not showing nitrAtes at all...
    Shook it as best I could. Did it again a few minutes ago and its 0. The water is yellow as can be with the solution in it.

Are we not feeding the fish enough? Is the tank stocked correctly? Is the temperature ok (78 degrees)? I am beyond stumped as well.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast