· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Darn reality is always a buzzkill. lol
    That's why I avoid it, whenever possible....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    We finally got the hubs' old desk moved out of the dining room yesterday - everything cleared off the top, out of the drawers and all 3 shelves above the desk emptied and taken down. This has been a long, drawn out process which began in June of 2014. Seriously. Too much other stuff going on in the meantime and not enough energy to do it all, so this project kept getting pushed to the side.
    The corner where the salty tanks will sit is now empty. I hope to paint the walls and work on the floors in that corner this weekend. However, I still won't be able to set up the tanks once that's done. Space is limited in our small farmhouse and we are having to move stuff around as space becomes available and work on one section of the room at a time. Once this section is done we'll have to move our large buffet / credenza to that corner so that I can work on the area where it currently sits. Moving that huge, heavy piece (twice) is not something we're looking forward to doing. But progress is progress is progress.
    I am very lucky to have an understanding husband and that he is not only willing to be supportive of me setting up a saltwater tank, even though he thinks I have enough tanks already, but also willing to help me achieve that goal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Margaritas are always a possibility! I wonder if I could use my unmixed marine salt to rim the glasses... lol
    I switched from kosher salt to sea salt, so you should be fine. Lol
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Glad to read that you and husband can really share in this set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I went by our little LFS today and got to talk to one of the employees (who may actually be the new owner). He said they could order macro algae for me when my tank is ready. That was good to find out.

They had a tank with several clownfish. They all appeared healthy and active and cute.

IMG_20150314_112549.jpg

IMG_20150314_112602.jpg

They also had some nice looking base rock for $3.50/lb. I picked out 3 pieces that I liked - total weight a smidge over 5 lbs.

IMG_20150314_132249.jpg

I'm going to move the rocks around in the tank today or tomorrow- take out one of the large pieces of coral that has pretty sharp edges and remove the Florida lace rocks in favor of adding the more porous base rock I bought today. I'll also go ahead and check Nitrates to see if the rocks and corals that are soaking are leaching any of those. And probably do a PWC either way to make it easier to move stuff around with a lower water level.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday afternoon I removed 2 out of the 3 pieces of dad's dry rock from my brackish tank. I left the biggest rock in the tank since it is apparently hollow in the middle. My knight gobies like to hide in that rock and play peek-a-boo out of the holes. The brackish tank will be getting a little remodel, but for now just removed the 2 rocks and tried not to upset the fish too much!

The rocks soaking in the 20g future SW tank tested at 5-10 ppm for Nitrates. I did a 25% PWC, removed the dried coral with the sharp edges and the denser Florida lace rock, and added dad's 2 rocks from the brackish tank plus the 3 new porous base rocks I bought yesterday.
    One of the dried corals wants to float and has to be weighed down - the squiggly looking piece under the dried barnacles in the pic. I'm not sure about leaving it in the tank, but it's one of the pieces that the hubs likes, so I'm going to try to work with it. But it is very annoying to try to arrange things when one of the things keeps floating away! There is no rhyme or reason to the stacks just yet. Just soaking out the nitrates.

SW 3-14-15.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    You could Epoxy the piece to a small piece of dense rock to keep it from floating.

Also from my journal I think you would seek benefit from at least adding some LR to the tank(more so than just rubble used for coral attachment). Reason for this is it would seed your tank with coraline, beneficial bacteria, and other forms of life which do add a lot to the system. A mere 5-10lbs of live would make a big difference.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the epoxy idea! What type of epoxy should I use? Or could I use aquarium silicone?

I may end up adding some LR. I am bad about moving stuff around a lot before settling on a configuration I'm happy with, so I have concerns about killing stuff that's on the LR. But knowing how beneficial LR can be, I'll probably get some in the end and hope I won't be too rough moving it around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I know ZERO about SW setups, but I do know that aquarium silicone has to dry for 48 hours before getting wet...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    The bond between silicon and rock is also not terribly good...you can get aquarium safe epoxy at Petsmart in the SW section.

In all honestly I would suggest you pick a stack and leave it alone it is very dangerous to be moving stuff around in the tank because most of your inverts and even fish live in and around the rock. It is easy to kill or injure them by moving it around. I think you would also get more visual interest from your tank by getting some live...as it would seed your present rock. Tanks which are not heavily coral dominated and do not have live rock are just kind of barren white/tan scapes.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast