· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Check the other cycling stickies in the Beginner Freshwater section.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Slap was up early today!

Metalmaven, this article isn't written as a primer on cycling. At the beginning of the article there are links to the stickies slap mentions on cycling. There is one on cycling with fish in the tank, and one on fishless cycling. The latter is by far the recommended method, so if you don't yet have fish it's the way to go. Follow the links at the start of the article and you'll get the introduction you want.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Excellent Article! with the topics listed in proper sequence.

Understanding How the Nitrogen Cycle works is the first step towards keeping a healthy aquarium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year! - fishmommie   Happy Easter - steeler58   glad you're back - showmebutterfly   Happy new year ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Goldy this is an extremely interesting and eye-opening (at least for me) article! It explained SOOO much! I am going to incorporate the notion of NOT re-dosing as soon as the amm hits 0. But waiting at least 24 hrs. Sooo interesting! Thank you!!!!

And VERY well-written, I might add...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

3 Not allowed!
    Thank you SL! I started doing the research just to educate myself, but I started going more and more in depth, and eventually realized it was worth sharing with everyone :-)

Now that I have my QT set up and cycled I'm going to try doing some quick and dirty tests to see how long bacteria can go without ammonia and how long it takes for them to recover after being starved.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    So if you do not redose for 24-48 hours to prevent AOB population from getting too large, couldn't you also reduce the dosing of ammonia to say 1ppm to allow space for NOB growth?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The reason behind waiting 24 hours to redose ammonia is actually to encourage NOB growth, not to limit AOB growth. Dosing 1ppm ammonia might also work, but the problem is that I couldn't find consensus about the exact level that inhibits NOB growth. Some of the research suggested that even levels below 1ppm could inhibit them, so it sounds we might need ammonia essentially at zero to promote faster NOB growth. I triglyceride a good balance is achieved by the 24 hour waiting period.

The one number I couldn't pin down (yet?) Is the amount of ammonia we should cycle to. In other words, how much ammonia is produced in a tank in 24 hours? I know it depends on the stocking level, but if a fully stocked tank produces, say, only 1ppm ammonia in 24 hrs, then there would be no need to cycle using 2 or 3ppm. It would shorten cycles significantly if we only had to cycle tanks to handle a maximum of 1ppm! Unfortunately this isn't something I can test without putting a lot of fish in an uncycled tank so I'm still trying to find published data on this. For now, based on our own experience here, 2-3ppm seems to be enough and I don't think cycling to levels higher than that would have any benefits.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    I understand the not dosing part. But, if I read it right, media space can also be a limiting factor for NOB growth. Let's look at my supposition in reverse. For instance, which would cycle faster, a filter with 1 fluval biomax or the same filter with 20 biomax, assuming the dosing is 2ppm of ammonia? There's also a no dosing for 24 hour period, and everything else is the same (e.g. tank size, no lighting, etc.)
    Last edited by Rocksor; 01-08-2016 at 03:40 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I see your point, I think: if the AOB colony grows too much, there will be little "uncolonized" space left in the media for the NOB to grow? Hmm... never thought of this. O guess it's similar to asking how much biomedia do we really need for a given size tank or ammonia level.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    With regards to how much ammonia is released by fish, I was reading on another forum that a 12" fish and a 9" fish in a 100 gallon tank had a nitrate reading of 40ppm in 2 days. There was a post somewhere in this forum, I think, about a formula on how much ammonia was needed to produce nitrite, and how much of that nitrite turned to nitrate. If you can get those numbers, then maybe you can estimate how many 1" fish it would take to created a 12" fish.