· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement Tank

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   Good to hear from you again! - Slaphppy7   Happy Independence Day! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Always nice to see someone start a new journal. The pencilfish have such a small bio-load I believe you could double the school and still have as many Cory's as you planned. If you can't find the Dwarf pencils, you could go with the Three lined, Nannostomus trifasciatus they get just a little bigger and are hard to tell apart from the Dwarf's. I agree with you that the Adolfoi might be a little big for the tank to keep in the numbers you want.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    No rinsing of the sand at all. This is packed in liquid similar to Eco Complete. The sand and liquid is added to the tank. I've used Eco Complete, which is much coarser, in 4 of my other tanks and Super Naturals (Tahitian Moon), which is very fine sand, no liquid added, in 2 Spec V's. This Instant Aquarium is also fine sand (Tahitian Moon color also), but is heavier than Super Naturals and much easier to plant in.

Eco Complete is packed with iron, calcium, potassium and other elements for plant growth. This one is packed as follows:

"Instant Aquarium offers a variety of finer grade natural gravels and sands water packed with living, water-purifying bacteria, state of the art clarifier, and a complete water conditioner. Tap water is all you need to get started. Instant Aquarium™ immediately begins the cycling process, eliminating new tank syndrome, and discouraging nuisance algaes. Instant Aquarium™ detoxifies metals, eliminates ammonia, neutralizes chlorine and chloramines, and provides a protective slime coat for stressed fish. Instant Aquarium™ also reduces nitrates and nitrites. Starting a new aquarium has never been easier."

I had often seen people posting about 2 grades of Eco Complete, one fine and one coarse. I had only ever seen the coarse one. What was interesting, however, was when I first looked at this Instant Aquarium substrate on the Caribsea website, the description called it Eco Complete but with the elements described above. So I e-mailed them to find out what the difference was between Eco, Super Naturals, and Instant Aquarium. They never responded to my e-mail, but lo and behold the description for Instant Aquarium has now been changed to remove the reference to Eco Complete. So this may be what people had been talking about when they mentioned the finer grade of Eco Complete. So far, this is my favorite of the three.

I'm not sure how long the "Instant Aquarium" properties will last. But I will be adding seeded sponges and ceramic media from other tanks when I'm ready to add fish so I won't be going through a cycle of weeks. Since these TC cyperus helferi and the swords are small plants with small roots right now, I want them to be better anchored before adding cories - even though it will be the dwarfs. I want any other plants I add to get well anchored also. So I don't want to spend weeks adding ammonia, testing, adding, testing etc. while I wait for the plants to get established. I'm lazy, what can I say.
    Thanks for the info. I am considering changing the sand in my 75 gal to black and will have black sand in my future 40 long. The Petco sand I used in the dual 29s was a PITA to rinse, it took forever.

With the cories as the stars, your new tank will be very cool!
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    So far so good on the Mopani driftwood and no tanins. I boiled it dozens of times over 4-5 days and each time the water was just as dark as the time before. I thought boiling it over and over the water would eventually start to look clearer but that didn't happen. So I took a chance and added it to the tank figuring I'd just deal with the tanins there, but so far no leaching after two days in. Not sure if it might start after several days - we'll see.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    if it does, floss will take care of it pretty quickly, you just have to change it out often....which since you are not cycling should be no big deal.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Carbon removes it too (though I am not sure why you would want to, lol) .
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    So, I spoke too soon on the Mopani and tanins - it did start to leach again after a few days in the tank, weakly compared to when boiling, and I can live with it for now. I've added another piece of driftwood (not mopani) and a few more plants - some crypt undulata and crypt parva (might get more of these). Here's a few pics after a water change today so the tanins aren't really showing. I had carbon in the filter, but changed that out for purigen. Still need some more plants, but not sure what I want. I'm thinking I might try some bucephalandra on the driftwood on the left or a larger anubia, or both. I also want something behind the wood on the right, but it will be directly in front of the filter outflow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good, Sue!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes looks good. Like the Anubias on the Mopani.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    congrats on the retirement and the new tank. Looking good already.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast