· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your barb fry! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Right now in that little tank is live rock/sand and the mini filter that came with the kit. With it being a bigger tank I'm going to get a protein skimmer. What do you recommend?

Also, I picked up a 20 gallon from a friend.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    One other question: if I were to get some live rock from a friend's well established tank would that still cause a cycle harmful to my fish? Didn't know if that would make a difference as opposed to getting it from my LFS.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it would. No matter where you get the live rock from, it will cause some problems. It would just be a matter of how much.

When taking live rock out of the water, all the living stuff on it starts dieing off. If the die off is big enough, you can get a ammonia spike which is not good at all. Unless it is always kept in salt water while being transported (never being exposed to the air for longer than just a moment or two), this will happen, just a matter of how much really

If you get more live rock, I would suggest letting it cure (cycle) again in another large container safe for aquarium use, or transporting it a container of salt water never exposing it to air..

It would be a it easier and safer to add some good quality dry rock. This way you would avoid the risk of a spike and the new rock will become alive in time. They would be a lot easier.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So I would just get the dry rock and add it in with what the live stuff I already have? It would be then become live rock? Does that speed up or slow down the cycling process?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Through out this thread I was goin under the assumption your tank was cycled as you had stated as much in your fist post in this thread

Just because you are moving your live rock between tank doesn't mean it will have to cycle again provided it is kept in salt water

Adding dry (dead) rock will not effect your cycle, or have a negative effect on your current live rock. It is the same thing as adding more new biological filter media to a freash water set-up.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The small tank is completely cycled. I've had it set up since last June and added the clownfish in September. So that one's good to go. The new tank is the one I don't have cycled. I was hoping there was a way to get it set up quickly and cycled faster than more than a month or so. Just don't want to see him in such a cramped tank for much longer. If it's going to take the normal amount of time to cycle then that's just how it'll be and he'll have to wait a little longer.

I really appreciate the help. I've got a 20 gallon that I've got all cleaned up and am starting to put together today. I'll post some pictures this evening. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    With good quality live rock, you should be cycled in a matter of 3 or 4 weeks (likely quicker)

The longest cycle I have ever experianced using a good amount of good quality live rock is 3 weeks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent rockwork! - Rue   Thanks - aquarius56   Closest thing to a frisbee. - Sasquatch   No reason - William   Only fitting you should have this. - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - travie   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Adding dry (dead) rock will not effect your cycle, or have a negative effect on your current live rock. It is the same thing as adding more new biological filter media to a freash water set-up.
    There is some potential for dry (dead) rock to negatively effect the tank. Since we don't know where the dry rock was in the past; it could have potentially soaked up some bad things like phosphate. If you go with dry rock, I would still recommend putting it in a 5 gallon bucket or tub with saltwater, powerhead, and heater. Then perform the usually water tests to see if it is leaching anything into the water. If so, perform water changes till it is not.

Personally, I would setup the new tank with new saltwater and skimmer to start breaking it in. Move all the rock in the current tank over. Acclimate the clown to the new tank water and put it in. If you want to add more rock to the current amount, I would put it in a tub or bucket and let it cure. Then had it to the new tank with the clown already in it.

- 29g FW - Community - Congo Tetras and a mated pair Kribensis
    - 55g SW - Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good point

The key to avioding that is using good quality rock, but it never hurts to play it safe

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by travie View Post
    There is some potential for dry (dead) rock to negatively effect the tank. Since we don't know where the dry rock was in the past; it could have potentially soaked up some bad things like phosphate. If you go with dry rock, I would still recommend putting it in a 5 gallon bucket or tub with saltwater, powerhead, and heater. Then perform the usually water tests to see if it is leaching anything into the water. If so, perform water changes till it is not.

Personally, I would setup the new tank with new saltwater and skimmer to start breaking it in. Move all the rock in the current tank over. Acclimate the clown to the new tank water and put it in. If you want to add more rock to the current amount, I would put it in a tub or bucket and let it cure. Then had it to the new tank with the clown already in it.
    Just to make sure I'm understanding completely, you're saying this can be an immediate switch or are you saying cycle with my current live rock for 3-4 weeks then add clown. All rock curing on the side, of course.

Obviously I just want to make sure it's all perfect. I've grown very attached to this little guy. He's even grown since I got him in September.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast