· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your barb fry! - Slaphppy7   

Default Help with upgrading nano reef please

0 Not allowed!
    I need some advice on upgrading my reef tank to a bigger one.

I set up a 5 gallon nano reef 8 months ago and it's doing pretty well. I've been doing freshwater aquariums for about 5 years so I thought I'd try out saltwater. It's been going surprisingly great for a beginner and it being so little. Parameters are always on point and where they need to be. I will admit I stupidly put an ocellaris clownfish in there. He seems to be happy though. Comes out and says hello whenever I feed him and am near the tank. Anyway, he needs a bigger tank and some friends. How do I take a well established tank and put it into a new one without throwing everything off? Or do I set up the new one and let it cycle while the other is still up and running? I would ideally want to use the live sand and rock I have already and put it in the bigger tank.

Any and all help/advice is appreciated. I expect I'll be getting scolded for subjecting this adorable fish to such a small tank.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Malyssaasaurus; 02-24-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Scolded for the whole thing actually. I should have just put shrimp in it or just gone with something bigger like at least a 10 or 15 gallon. Hindsight is 20/20, right? I'm not feeling so bright on this one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl   T.G.I.F.!  I can't drink alone. - Boundava   I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff   Thanks for the help! - BluewaterBoof   Just 'cause - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff will probably be the one to help you along with this one. He's my go-to guy for SW advice and I don't even have a SW tank. yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    What size of tank are you thinking of up-grading to?

What do you have in the current tank for live rock and all other equipment ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of going up to a 15. I have about 8 lbs of live rock in there.

As far as equipment goes it's just the Marineland 5 gallon hex set up. Nothing special. I am honestly surprised how well this is going. I had the tank set up 3-4 months before I put anything in it to make sure it would work. Things looked good so I moved forward.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyssaasaurus View Post
    I put anything in it to make sure it would work.
    What do you mean by "everything" ?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sure I can give you the best possible options
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    "Anything" meaning whatever fish I was going to put in there. The questions are fine. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    A 15 gallon is a too small of even one clown fish. You would want no less than a stand 20 gallon, but a 29 would be better

As far as setting up the new tank, I would suggest the below process:

1-fill the new tank half full with new water and some water from your existing tank.
    2-make sure the salinity and temp is stable between the two tanks
    3-move the live rock into the new tank making sure it is not exposed to the air when sitting in either tank
    4-move the fish into a bucket of tank water from the old tank
    5-remove some more of the old water and place in the new tank
    6-remove the substrate and clean it very well
    7-place the subtrate in the new tank
    8-breifly accimate the fish to the new tank water and put him in
    9-full the rest of the new tank with new water
    10-leave the lights off for a day so your fish can get used to his new home

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl   T.G.I.F.!  I can't drink alone. - Boundava   I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff   Thanks for the help! - BluewaterBoof   Just 'cause - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Step 3 - how do you move the live rock into the new tank without exposing it to the air? that seems like the most complicated step to me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe in water filled ziploc bags?...that part confuses me, too
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast