· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

Default Black Beard Algae in my low tech planted tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I have had a small issue with black beard algae in my 37 gallon, low tech planted tank. I've not been too worried about it until today, when I realized it might be hindering my plant growth. I've not been very happy with this tank for quite a while. It's just not taken the look I'd like it to. And if the BBA is to blame, I'll really be kicking myself. A little info on the tank, fish stock is 7 Cardinals, 8 Cherry Barbs, 1 Bristlenose, and 5 cherry shrimp I can't find at the moment...
    Plants are a few Anubias Nana that have been doing well, but have quite a bit of BBA on them. 2 Wendtii Crypts, ones doing well the others doing okay, 1 Amazon Sword that sometimes looks good, and other times not so much. Several Cryptocoryne Balansae newly planted, just finished melting and now new growth looks promising. Moneywort that is doing okay, not great. And a java fern and a stem of hornwort that came with the shrimp. I dose with Flourish (just regular Flourish) once a week. No CO2. I want to say low light but not sure. It came with the tank and I've always wanted to change it, but can't afford it on a unstable income like mine. (If I uploaded a pic of the light, would ya'll be able to tell me low, high, whatever level light it is?) I also put root tabs under the rooted plants every few months. I keep my temp at 78ish. I'll have the water parameters for you in an hour or so. Last I checked, they were fine, but I'll give ya'll the latest parameters possible to give the most accurate insight on my situation.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrate- 5ppm
    Nitrite- 0ppm
    Ammonia- 0ppm
    PH- 7.4ish

I always get Nitrate and Nitrite confused. Ones is suppose to be 0ppm, the other is suppose to be low but existent. Can anyone clear this a bit?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

4 Not allowed!
    NitrItes are supposed to be zero. NitrAtes are ok up to about 20 ppm (less if you have sensitive fish). So, your parameters are right where they should be.

The nitrogen cycle is this: fish produce ammonia, which is toxic. Bacteria convert this into nitrItes, which are also toxic, and finally more bacteria turn nitrItes into nitrAtes. NitrAtes can be removed to some extent by plants if you are moderately to heavily planted. Otherwise they are removed through water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need this! - talldutchie   Have another Clown - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    How many do you run the light ? And yes more info on the light would be helpful.

How much flourish are you putting in once a week?

Considered dosing Flourish Excel also?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A christmas gift to myself.... - Anders247   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Have this gift, Merry Christmas! - Faded   Merry Christmas! - DebinWhitmore   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates are actually okay up to 80, but... that's not that great, especially for sensitive fish. Neither is 60. 40 is okay, but 20 or less is best. Nitrites need to be 0.
    Flourish is great at eradicating BBA.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    There are a couple reasons you get algae, inadequate nutrients, too much light (time wise) and poor circulation. Maybe you need some additional circulation, possibly stronger light.

I had algae problems and I added a Fugeray planted + light, as well as powerhead to improve circulation. I have CO2 running on the tank, and also use Excel, Flourish, Flourish Fe and K. Sometimes deficiencies in nutrients potassium and phosphate can cause algae blooms too.

I spot treated the algae (in my case it was Stag with some black on the Anubias) with Hydrogen peroxide. It got rid of the stag and black hair, but some green is coming back. I also had to trim some of the very badly affected leaves.

Best way to treat the Anubias is to pull them out and dip them in peroxide (if you can). If you can't take them out then use a syringe to put the peroxide as close to the problem area as possible. If you did it right the algae will turn red, and then many fish/snails/shrimp will eat it.

You shouldn't over treat the tank at any given time-yes the peroxide (H2O2) breaks down in water to...well water, but still don't want to over do it at any given time because before it breaks down, direct contact causes cell lysis (they break down). Your fish can swim through it accidently in you have too much in the tank-preventing its ability to break down due to the lack of ions in water.

If you want after you have cleaned out as much as possible you can try what many have done-a multiple day blackout of the tank (cover with blankets) to starve the algae to death. Fishmommie just did something like that.
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-20-2015 at 04:39 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by James` View Post
    How many do you run the light ? And yes more info on the light would be helpful.

How much flourish are you putting in once a week?

Considered dosing Flourish Excel also?
    I run the light about 8 to 10 hours a day. I know nothing about the light. It came with the 37 gallon starter kit (starter kits are a huge waste btw...) and I haven't been able to find anything about online. It's a strip of LED's that I made a fixture for and hot glued it in there to catch the excess light that was lighting the rest of the room.

I dose half a cap full of Flourish (not Flourish Excel) once a week. I do half a cap full because the directions on the bottle says a whole cap full for a 60g aquarium, so I just cut it in half to suit my needs.

I'll post a picture of the lights and maybe to can see what I'm working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders247 View Post
    Nitrates are actually okay up to 80, but... that's not that great, especially for sensitive fish. Neither is 60. 40 is okay, but 20 or less is best. Nitrites need to be 0.
    Flourish is great at eradicating BBA.
    Is that just Flourish or Flourish Excel. And to do the Flourish Excel method, would I need to remove all my fish and plants and overdose the tank with Excel, or does the regular dose of Excel kill the BBA?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Flourish actually causes more algae. I think that they meant Excel is good for removing algae. It's organic carbon thst has been known to fix algae problems in the planted aquarium dosed significantly above label. Seachem does not inform users of its Algecide properties due to archaic labeling laws.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes people even put excel directly on the Anubis leaves outside the aquarium. Similar to the peroxide method mentioned above. I've heard good things about both. I've also seen excel dosing above label melt soft plants. Pros and cons. The key is finding balance of nutrients and having plants to take the nutrients in before algae.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry, how does Flourish cause algae?
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore