User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need this! - talldutchie   Have another Clown - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Sorry, how does Flourish cause algae?
    This is straight from Seachem Support. It cannot be dosed daily because of the mix of nutrients. It should only be dosed as labeled, and typically less than labeled for planted aquariums with less plants. They offer dosing Aquavitro Envy, their sister company, product daily if you're having trace elements and fatty acid consumption, and macronutrients
    Last edited by James`; 02-20-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A christmas gift to myself.... - Anders247   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Have this gift, Merry Christmas! - Faded   Merry Christmas! - DebinWhitmore   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, I meant Excel, sorry for the mix-up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    James,
    Yes, however dosing was stated as weekly, so the flourish would not be the cause of algae. Have to be careful when you say
    Flourish actually causes more algae.
    Some can construe that as at any dosage Flourish causes algae. If your nutrients are out of whack in the tank this will cause algae, too much/little light (intensity or photo period) can cause algae, poor circulation can cause algae, new tanks will often have algae until it establishes itself. Lots of factors can be at play here.

Drew's_Fish_99
    From reading on your kit LED light (I agree box kits for aquariums are a waste of money) it may be you have too much ferts in the tank and not enough light. Without light the plants cant use all of the ferts in the tank and this may be leading to the algae problem. You do have some slow growth plants like the Anubias, but also the faster ones like the Amazon, so you may want to invest in a better light while you are treating your tank. Especially since you do have a good amount of ferts in the gravel as well as water column, but your plants are still suffering/not growing.

Like I mentioned I am using the Finnex Fugeray Planted +, and my plants do very well with it if you would like another LED light, T5 are also good, but bulbs should be replaced yearly for best intensity.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Like I mentioned I am using the Finnex Fugeray Planted +, and my plants do very well with it if you would like another LED light, T5 are also good, but bulbs should be replaced yearly for best intensity.
    I've heard good things about Finnex and would love to upgrade, but that may be down the road purchase. It's not as expensive as I would've thought, but still a little above my price range right now...

Edit: I just found a video explaining how to kill BBA a little bit, and my attack plan was to put a timer on my lights, 6 hours a day, start dosing Excel, and up my water changes to 50% twice a week. Should I not shorten my lights time since I already seem to have insignificant lighting? Would that just worsen the issue at hand?
    Last edited by Drew's_Fish_99; 02-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've had planted tanks for long time buddy thanks. I was responding to the user who suggested flourish can end algae out breaks. Thanks for the history lesson

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The Anubis plant won't even use the flourish water fertilizer hardly as it draws most of its nutrients from the root system. Same with swords and other deep rooting plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    There are a couple guides on Algae online and this one states in low light conditions BBA is often due to changing CO2 levels and to keep these levels steady it recommends not doing a water change as tap water can be high in CO2. Alternative for this would be to let your water sit 24 hours, or aerate water by stirring to release CO2 before doing water change to get as much CO2 out of the system and starve the algae. This might help until you can upgrade your light. You might also reduce ferts by half to accommodate the lower lights (less plant growth so they won't use everything as fast as in high light).

http://mininaturecube.blogspot.com/2...gae-guide.html

Algae is frustrating and unfortunately it (in some amounts/form) seems to go hand and hand with this hobby.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Boundava, I think that may be the source of the problem. I'm think maybe by August I could get my hands on the light you mentioned. Looks like I won't be spending more than $100 on it so it looks pretty doable. Hopefully I can keep the BBA at bay until then.