· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good job rehoming the pleco! - Slaphppy7   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I do understand that, they are fine ammonia is less than .5 nitrate is about 20 which is what I expect it to be after the ammonia spike of 1 on Monday after fish had been in tank Few hours, water hardest is 75 to 90 expected as I am in Kansas on well water, chlorine as well is zero, nitrite is still at zero, my ph is slightly alkali a at about 7.5 also expected with well water,

Use api master test kit along with tetra easy strips,
    Use tetra aqua safe monthly maintenance with all water changes more for the conditioning aspect than the dechlorining aspect

Also was going from 20 gal to 39 but did run the double filter for the fourth eight hours before adding fish, basically stuck the filter for 20 gal behind new filter, which as dad said should seed the new filter with the bacteria from the old filter, he always did this, I would say about a 98.99 success rate when( we) upgraded tanks, can only remember a totally of 2or4 fish dying doing it this way but those were the old fish, one was a placo that was about 4 years old.

So I'm not inexperienced in cycling new tank just do not believe in daily water changes, which with my knowledge of science, just seems weird to dilute the whole system, nitrates break down the ammonia , nitrites break down the nitrate, my plates absorb some nitrites When nitrates are high is when I water change, usually weekly unless tank over populated, then every three days according to nitrite levels,
    Last edited by Cubikins; 02-18-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    To fishmommY

Can't take back any fish had them about a year now..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

4 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear that you are running the 2 filters together. It could take a couple-few weeks to get your new filter a healthy population of BB. You can run the 2 filters in tandem, or you can remove the sponge and BB media from you old filter and use it in your new filter if you are able to.

Well the reason we suggest daily changes is because fish cannot tolerate ammonia or nitrites, so if you see those while you are testing (and starting out I would test daily) you want to do a water change to bring this down to 0.

Nitrates do not break down ammonia. Ammonia is broken down by one type of bacteria into nitrites, which are then broken down by another bacteria to nitrates. This bacteria is what is needed in your new filter to process fish wastes and wastes from decaying matter (like plants or dead fish). These nitrates are used by plants, but if they build up can be harmful to your fish too, which is why you need to take them out of the system by preforming water changes, and cleaning the filter media (not the bacterial media) in your filter regularly. Ammonia and Nitrites are toxic to your fish at low levels-which is why we are recommending daily testing since your tank is newly set up.

Plecos live for decades, so 4 years was not old for your pleco...mine is going on 7 years. Many fish have long lifespans, corys can live 11-17 years, gold fish for 50+ and koi can live to 100, so fish are a responsibility.

You should at minimum be doing a weekly water change. Even with the filter running you need to reduce the nitrates that build up. Plants can use only so much of them, and at high levels nitrates are also toxic to your fish.

Also depending on the filter and the number of fish in your tank, you may be okay with monthly maintenance-or you could have a couple months between cleanings.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    The additional info you provided answers lots of questions. :o)
    Sounds like you're basically using the old filter and media to seed the new one. Should work perfectly.
    Your initial post sounded like your were starting from scratch and doing a fish in cycle with new delicate bottom dwellers.
    Very glad you have a handle on it. You'd be surprised how many people pop in here and after we reply their questions is: what's a cycle :o)
    Bondava does have some good points if you haven't had a chance to read them.

Ever thought about using Seachem's Prime for your water conditioner? Nothing wrong with what you're using - Prime, howeve,r is much more economical.
    Good luck with the new set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubikins View Post
    To fishmommY

Can't take back any fish had them about a year now..
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-18-2015 at 10:39 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

2 Not allowed!
    Good advice has been given. If your ammonia is at .50, you need to do a 50% water change to get it to .25. You need to test daily as this tank is not cycled.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Gronlaura, the ammonia not that high, is not even at .3 hard for me to tell the color match, chart is old , had order new test kit, stores does not stock new kits, he said no one buys new kits they usually buy the individual test ( Grr) used to buy from him, now must order online..

Fishmommi I'll look into that, petco or the small pet store in town is usually were I buy my stuff but sadly seems the smaller pet store is slowly going out of business since petco showed up...

I check water twice daily, I work way early in morning so test it when I get up then again when I get home, if any thing spikes I have at least two gallons water ready to replace water if needed, another trick learned from my dad, which is propaly only reason my fish still alive after tank cracked, fish were not happy at all to be in the 2 gallon I had used for Terrarium during high school days..

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Went ahead and did a 10 g water change, while I was conditioning my replacement water my wag sword attacked my pineapple killing it, after a yearish in same tank with the pineapple male being dominate, why the wag deside to be so aggressive? Fished out the dead sword :( all his fins were ripped to shreds ..the wag never been aggressive before, now he's harassing the female pineapple, chasing her from one side of the tank to the other.. The wags red strip belly changed from a dull pink to a vibrant orange in a day ..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    He may be asserting his dominance in the new tank-new pecking order. Sorry for your loss but you probably need to separate them or he may kill the female.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    She seems to have put him in his place, she is already pregnant and he is now Tring to mate with her, wierd thing is he leaves the albino alone..

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I know my first post sounded like I was starting from fresh. I am sorry for that, so I thought I'd give a little history,
    I had a 20g tank heavily planted with 6/7 swords 4 Cories and my last addition of the placo, about 1 to 2 inches long , had this tank for like three years move twice with it, (and small house fire) with no loss of fishes. My stand had broke in the last move so had it on small end table,
    Had my brothers kids over for the weekend, all 3 know the rules about the fish tank, look but don't touch, they ave recently had some rough emotional time, spent about a year in foster care, been home about a month with only their dad, so thought I'd give him break, well to shorten the tale, the middle child, had a fit and threw the something (still don't know what) hitting the fish tank, scared all the kids, thought I was going to kill them ( all I could do not to cry as the five year old begging me not to call the cops and have them taken away for being bad) managed to get him calmed down enough to get spare tank out and a quick set up, but going from a 20 to a 2 gallon had to pick and chose what I could keep, 2 swords died before I could rehome them, my older brother has a 50 g bow front tank so the remaining fish went to him thankfully, was able to talk b/f into a bigger tank. Yeah for me, has taken a week and a half to convince the boys that I'm not mad at them and yes they are still welcome to come over, still have not been able to get them over we live in different towns, but hope next week to have them over for a few hours.

So there's the story of the cracked fish tank, has taken me awhile to figure out best way to say it so I just said it, maybe should have done an introduction from the start lol