· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Aquarium Plumbing Basics

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Cliff,
    Excellent article. Exactly what I was looking for. You mentioned your afterthought to the media reactor and how you added it into your system. If you would please give me a little more detail on exactly how you did this. I have an MTC HSA-250 Protein Skimmer that I need to add to the sump. How exactly should I incorporate it. I see yours goes from right to left, H2O from the tank drains into the sump where it appears you are also curing live rock, from there I can’t tell how you get the water to the other side of the tank where your media reactor is located along with the return pump. Also, does the sump pump both pull the water through the media reactor as well as push it up into the tank. Lastly, my tank is pre-drilled, however, there are two holes on each side. What could the second hole possibly be for? And what do you suggest would be a good way of plugging it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hbarberra View Post
    Hi Cliff,
    Excellent article. Exactly what I was looking for. You mentioned your afterthought to the media reactor and how you added it into your system. If you would please give me a little more detail on exactly how you did this.
    I hooked it into my return pump. On my last set-up, I created a manifold for the water to flow into from the return pump. This way I could add a reactor later on should I need one. You have to plumb your return lin in advance for this. You also have to make sure you have a high enough flow rate into your tank from the return pump after you factor in the loss of flow from the additional reactor

I have an MTC HSA-250 Protein Skimmer that I need to add to the sump. How exactly should I incorporate it.
    You will need a compartment in the sump fro your skimmer to sit in. Make sure the dept of water it sits in is within the manufacturer's recommendations or your skimmer will not work correctly. Also, as a option, try to match the flow rate of the water going through the sump with the GPH of the skimmer motor. That will help you skimmer work at it's best, but this is not required for it to be effective

I see yours goes from right to left, H2O from the tank drains into the sump where it appears you are also curing live rock, from there I can’t tell how you get the water to the other side of the tank where your media reactor is located along with the return pump.
    The below link will help to answer those questions

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/some-sump-basics/

Also, does the sump pump both pull the water through the media reactor as well as push it up into the tank.
    Yes

Lastly, my tank is pre-drilled, however, there are two holes on each side. What could the second hole possibly be for? And what do you suggest would be a good way of plugging it?
    If you only have two holes, one would be for a drain line and one fore a return line. You will need both
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default understanding plumbing

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I hooked it into my return pump. On my last set-up, I created a manifold for the water to flow into from the return pump. This way I could add a reactor later on should I need one. You have to plumb your return lin in advance for this. You also have to make sure you have a high enough flow rate into your tank from the return pump after you factor in the loss of flow from the additional reactor

You will need a compartment in the sump fro your skimmer to sit in. Make sure the dept of water it sits in is within the manufacturer's recommendations or your skimmer will not work correctly. Also, as a option, try to match the flow rate of the water going through the sump with the GPH of the skimmer motor. That will help you skimmer work at it's best, but this is not required for it to be effective

The below link will help to answer those questions

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/some-sump-basics/

Yes

If you only have two holes, one would be for a drain line and one fore a return line. You will need both
    I have a total of four holes, two in each chamber. I was planning on the left side being the drain with a Dursos stand pipe, so that fills one of the holes. Then in the other chamber on the right is to be the return. That fills one of the holes on that side. I still have two holes, one on each side with nothing in them. I don't need two sets of pipes coming out and going in, do I??

Secondly, I'm still confused about how after the water drains into the first sump chamber how it gets pushed into (via a pump/powerhead?) or is it sucked through the skimmer? As I try to think this through, the tank water will not just pour into the sump system without some "motivation" if you will. I understand that once everything is in place, correctly, that as the water level rises in the display tank and spills into the Dursos I don't believe that gravity alone can possibly be sufficient "motivation" to create enough overflow so that the system runs properly. So...I'm still stuck at water into sump tank, then I will have my Protein Skimmer in the next compartment of the sump tank. Do I need a pump or powerhead to force the water into the Skimmer while at the same time pulling the water out of the display tank?? OR!!! (and maybe I've figured it out)... If I have a pump with a great enough GPH flow rate on the output of the Skimmer that it will a) suck water through the Skimmer and b) force water back into the tank thereby completing the cycle with enough force that the tank will fill so rapidly that as the water exits the tank via Dursos stand pipe the gravity becomes sufficient??

I really want to do this right. I'm just having a hard time understanding how all this works.
    Last edited by hbarberra; 02-11-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarification

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    You can do two drain lines an two return lines. That is pretty common and would likely be your best option

You also have to understand your return pump make the whole thing work, nothing else. The pump pushs water up into the display tank. Water will then drain through your drain line(s) into the first compartment of the sump. When the first compartment is full, the water will then flow into the second compartment (which is not as tall as the first), and so on and so on. Once the water gets to the last compartment with the return pump, it is pushed into the display tank again by the return pump

Have you read through the link I posted above about sumps ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default understanding plumbing

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You can do two drain lines an two return lines. That is pretty common and would likely be your best option

You also have to understand your return pump make the whole thing work, nothing else. The pump pushs water up into the display tank. Water will then drain through your drain line(s) into the first compartment of the sump. When the first compartment is full, the water will then flow into the second compartment (which is not as tall as the first), and so on and so on. Once the water gets to the last compartment with the return pump, it is pushed into the display tank again by the return pump

Have you read through the link I posted above about sumps ?

Yes, I have and will again. That makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for all your help. I'm excited to get it all setup.

Alrighty then, so two lines coming out and two lines going in. Two Dursos then as well. I'll have to get another plumbing parts package from the manufacturer, or build it myself.

Thanks again. I'll send pictures when it's done