· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Cloudy Eye Loaches

0 Not allowed!
    HELP! (Also, can anyone instruct me on how to upload pictures? When i try to attach file it will complete the upload but no image will appear. Then when i try to insert image, i will choose a file from my computer and the website will it will act as if it is processing the request, but then it does not insert an image).

My loaches have cloudy eyes, frayed fins (with what looks like little fine white strings at the frayed edge) and some salt-grain like spots on their sides. Recent issue with ICH in another tank, so was worried that they had ich but then saw the cloudy eyes. Two of the four have died. No open sores.

They are in a tank with some parrot cichlids that likely have ich. They have been laying on the bottom of the tank and have frayed fins, salt-grain white specs all over their bodies. No open sores. No fuzzy or stringy growths but it looks like that they have some spots on their body that are white, mucous like stringy things hanging off of their body.

The geophagus in the tank has a cloudy eye that appears swollen. He had it three weeks ago but it went away with just two water changes that week. It is now back. No frayed fins, sores or signs of ich.

Any diagnoses for:
    Loaches____________
    Parrot cichlids____________
    geophagus____________

Treatment options for each?
    Loaches____________
    Parrot cichlids____________
    geophagus____________

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, that's a whole mess of problems. Something is very wrong in your tank. Can you tell us a little more about it?

Size of tank and stock? You mentioned the species, but how many of each? What species of loach?
    Water parameters? How long has the tank been set up for?
    Filtration and water change amount/frequency?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino View Post
    Wow, that's a whole mess of problems. Something is very wrong in your tank. Can you tell us a little more about it?

Size of tank and stock? You mentioned the species, but how many of each? What species of loach?
    Water parameters? How long has the tank been set up for?
    Filtration and water change amount/frequency?

Filtration: 55 Long tank; marineland penguin 350 filter HOB filter; ammonia 0.5 ppm; nitrate 5.0 ppm ; nitrite 0 ppm;
    Five angel fish (2-3 inches); three blood red parrot cichlids (4 inches each); one geophagus (5 inches); two clown loaches (1.75 inches); one common pleco (3 inches);

Currently at 3/4 tsp per gallon of non-iodized salt (goal of 1.5 per gallon as tolerated by the loaches); considering adding pimafix (removing carbon filter)

48" bubble wand on high power for aeration; water level 1 inch below top to add to aeration
    water change (30%) conducted today.

HOW DO I UPLOAD PICTURES???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

2 Not allowed!
    sorry I can't help much with the photos, I always upload mine to photobucket and link them from there. I think maybe what's tripped up people before is that their images are too large and the forum doesn't accept them. Try making them smaller and see if that helps.

As for your tank, you've definitely got ich, you've got cloudy eye, you've got fin rot, and you've got ammonia. You didn't answer how long it's been set up, but it's either not cycled or something happened to disrupt the cycle. Your first priority has to be providing water that is as clean as possible. I'd do another water charge until you've got that ammonia down to no detectable amount. If you're using salt to treat for ich, you'll have to maintain the same ratio as you're adding water after the water change. Have you elevated the temperature as well?

Super clean water and treating ich with heat and salt are probably your best bet to start. If the cloudy eyes and frayed fins don't improve from there, you may need medications as well, but that's something I'm less knowledgeable in.

To be honest this many different symptoms at once is downright scary. Good luck... you're going to need it.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    OK. here are some photos: http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/winset/library/

Since we last spoke, have been continuing salt treatment--currently at 1.5 table spoons per gallon. ALL loaches have died. Day two of pimafix at 1ml per 5 US gal

At this time the geophagus is laying upside down, both eyes are now cloudy with what looks like a gas bubble in each eye. Fins are starting to fray on the angels and some are beginning to get cloudy eyes (you can see some have faintly cloudy eyes and some have very white, opaque cloudy eyes)..

PLEASE HELP with treatment recommendations.

here is a link for photos: http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/winset/library/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    You can't use salt with scaless fish, they can not handle any type of salt. You really should not use both meds and salt at the same time unless you carefully look into how the meds you are planning to use will react with salt

You one fish has/had pop-eye. This is a type of infection caused by poor water quality

What are your current water parameters ?

How often and how much water do you change ?

How often do you vacuum the substrate ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Which one fish--the geophagus? the upside down one?

0 ppm ammonia
    0 ppm nitrate/nitrite
    ph 7.4

water changed (34% every two weeks)
    substrate vacuumed every month with usually a return of moderately dirty water but not terrible.

There are no interactions between salt and the pimafix FYI

I am still curiously waiting for treatment recommendations.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    It would look like there is something wrong with your test kits. There is no way you would have no nitrates in a 55 gallon tank with just a marineland penguin 350 and your current stocking level

I would suggest daily 50% water changes for the next few days until you can have you water tested with a different test kit. Perhaps a local fish store near you ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    you need much more filtration (penguins are useless) and instead of medicating should have been doing daily water changes. all of your problems are because of very poor water quality.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!