· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice tanks and set-up! - Slaphppy7   

Default Coldwater Algae Eaters?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey All,

Some of you may know I have started an outdoor pond - I'm starting to look at different coldwater algae eaters incase I get some sort of algae bloom in the pond (I'm expecting it).

Not sure what algae eaters will be happy in coldwater. bare in mind this is Australian cold, not American cold. I'm willing to run the risk of housing guppies in said pond because they can supposedly handle 10C so what other fish can do the same?

dont have to worry about predatory tankmates - theres 1 goldfish and I only plan to add guppies and said algae eaters.

Cheers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    What is the difference between Australian cold and American cold, except that the seasons are switched because one is in above the equator and the other below it? Temperature-wise, how are they different? Just curious...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    appreciate the quick response! Thanks Mermaid

Well, although parts of Australia get snow in winter - in the mountains on the opposite side of the country - most of Australia doesnt get snow, and rarely will the temperature drop below 0 degrees C where I live. My understanding is that majority of America gets snow in winter and the temperature drops below 0C regularly.

in short - It never snows in my city or state.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I plan to try some mountain suckers (Catostomus platyrhynchus) in a cold water tank some day, and I might even try throwing a few in my pond to control algae...but I suspect they're a bit hard to find in Australia. So that's absolutely no help to you. I would suggest looking into species native to your area. Every aquatic ecosystem seems to have an animal or two that eats algae. Find the one that fits your environment, and put a few in your pond.

Failing that, if it were me, I would try plecos. From what I read, they are fairly adaptable, and since your climate is pretty warm most of the year, I be they'd do OK.

Good luck!
    Tom

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Cheers Tom,

Just did some research and the nearby river gets down to around 10C in winter, I think it's probably too much for most fish. I'm going to put guppies in there when the ones I have start to breed, reckon they could survive on the algae in the pond? and say if I had 100 guppies or even 200, reckon they would eat enough of it? surely if I just didnt feed the pond and force all the guppies to basically be brought up eating algae I might have some success.. hmm youve got me thinking

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by philthy View Post
    Cheers Tom,
    Just did some research and the nearby river gets down to around 10C in winter, I think it's probably too much for most fish.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. It gets very cold here, and the rivers and lakes are frozen over for at least a couple months every winter, but there are many fish species that do just fine.

Why not contact your local wildlife agency and ask them to put you in touch with a fisheries biologist. They might be able to help you identify a local, non-game species that would help you out.

Regarding your other question, I don't know how much algae guppies eat. How big is your pond? I have a large pond (about 10m across and 2m deep) with goldfish in it, and I never feed them, and they grow and spawn like crazy! So I'm sdure your guppies would find enough to eat, assuming it's a healthy pond. Would they control algae? No idea.
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 02-16-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Appreciate the response mate.

Guppies have spawned in my aquarium so I just moved all the adults out to the pond.

My ponds about 1000L, not huge at all and filtration is minimal. I'm going to just try my luck with the guppies and see how it goes.

Need a UV filter tooo :/ time to start saving.