· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   company for your pleco!  nice job setting things up - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    Was thinking a community tank i quite like the tetras myself those cardinals look cool they only had albino cory cats at the lfs for $45 each

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

4 Not allowed!
    Holy cow. $45 for one cory cat? Yikes. that's pricey

The electric yellow cichlids your wife likes are african cichlids. Very aggressive and as has been said, too large for your tank.

What kind of fish does your fish store carry that appeal to you and are in your price range? Give us a list and we will try to help you make some good choices and numbers.

Also, you said you had some seeded filter media. I don't know how long you've had it, but the beneficial bacteria in the media will die (or may have already died) if it's not kept wet and does not have an ammonia source to feed it. If it hasn't been too long and you've kept it wet, you may be okay but I'd sure be checking your water parameters.
    You might want to get the tank filled up and the filter running, then start feeding it a little pure ammonia if you aren't stocking right away. Even then, you'll need to watch your water parameters for ammonia and nitrites and nitrates and act accordingly if you did lose your BB
    If you're uncertain, check in with us and we should be able to help.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday my friend. - Taurus   Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I would stick with fish like Cardinals, Black neons, Head and tail lights, Von rio tetras, Ember tetras and Harlequins rasboras just to name a few good smaller fish. If your going with Cardinals add them after the tanks well established as they like their water seasoned :)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

1 Not allowed!
    Image - Welcome wave.gif to the AC!

Harlequin Rasboras are colorful, active fish and a school of 10 would do great in a tank that size. Great advice from fishmommie regarding your media and cycle.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   company for your pleco!  nice job setting things up - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    Ive had the tank full and running for a couple of days which is when i noticed all the dead snails come to the surface will be getting a test kit today . Im lucky that we have 2 pet stores and 2 aquarium stores within 5 minutes of home all with slightly different stocks of fish and what i cant get from them i can get online . The better half likes the bright colorful fish where im happy with species that will get along well in the tank with a little color here and there . Thanks for all the advice so far

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So went to the lfs got my gravel vac seemto have got all the crap out. This seem to be the the list the she likes
    I added some rough numbers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    If those are the fish you like I don't see any problem with compatibility. And you have nice size schools except I'd up the head and tail light tetra to 6 which is generally minimum for schooling fish like tetras.

I want to caution you again, however, that you may not have a cycled tank if the media has been without food. For that reason, I'd start with the mollys. they're pretty tough fish. If your water parameters are in line (0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and less than 20 but more than 0 nitrates) all should be will. Then you can add more stock in 2 - 3 weeks intervals adding the Albino BNP last. if there are going to be nitrate issues, they will affect bottom dwelling fish the most.
    So glad to hear you're getting a test kit. If t he API Master Water test kit is available, that would be a good choice. Much more accurate than test strips.

PS - also be aware that the mollies will be popping out babies pretty regularly. The parents will eat a lot of the fry but I don't know if the rasboras or smaller tetras will help with population control.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 01-31-2015 at 03:43 PM.
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks fishmommie none of the stores had the master kit apparently they walk out the door faster than they get them in i have the strip test kit though till i can get the liquid which tells me i have between 0 and 0.25 ppm nitrite i think it was and 2ppm nitrate after 3 days running the tank not sure about ammonia as they didnt have those either the fish will be atleast a week before i think about getting them any way plus the store does free water testing

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately, it appears you have lost most of the BB in your seeded material or you would not have nitrite. Unless you start feeding it some source of ammonia you will be starting from scratch.
    You can do one of 2 things.
    1) get ammonia at one of your local hardware stores and dose the tank daily (see fishless cycling link in my signature line). if you shake the ammonia bottle and and it bubbles, it's not what you want. If you can't find the ammonia, you could add some raw fish or shrimp pieces or some fish flakes as they will break down and give you the ammonia you need but I would use that as a last resort. You'll have to test water regularly and once you come up with 0 ammonia and nitrites and some nitrates ( which means the biological cycle is complete) you can add your fish

2) You can add the mollies asap then check your ammonia and nitrites DAILY. Any time either one or both get over .25ppm, do a water change. You will eventually get the tank cycled but it's a fine line as you need a little ammonia ( or if you're past the ammonia stage of the cycle and onto nitrites) to grow enough bacteria to convert to nitrAtes but not enough to harm the fish. Anything close to .50 can be very harmful. again - see fish IN cycle link in my sig line.

Normally I'd say fishless cycle but since you are in the nitrite stage, I believe I'd get those mollies in there asap and get ready to do a ton of water changes while you're waiting for the nitrites to convert to nitrAtes. :o(
    Last edited by fishmommie; 01-31-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast