User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice tanks and set-up! - Slaphppy7   

Default Philthy Fish Pond Reno

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All,

I'm going to attempt at making a blog of my pond renovation - hopefully I don't forget to update it but time will tell. I'm already part way through the project so let me catch you up on the details

The liner in the old pond got punctured and so the pond ran on about 50% water for a year - I'm 20 and live at my parents house so the pond wasnt exactly mine to worry about (sarcasm).

This christmas holidays I decided to demo the pond and restart with a concrete bottom pond instead of just a plastic liner.

I dug out a wheelbarrow or two worth of dirt and make the pond much deeper - I was restricted because the pond has rocks cemented around the waterline so I stayed within that area and just dug it out a bit more.

Because my old mans got tight pockets and I have empty pockets we decided we wouldnt add a pond filter to the set up - we'd just leave it how it was with a pump to the waterfall. So instead I plan to heavily plant the pond and have minimal fish to hopefully set up a maintainable system - it did ok before.

at this stage I've just done a second coat of waterproofing and by next weekend I will hopefully have sorted out what I will use as pond substrate - at my work we sell Zeolite for pool filters - I'm thinking of using Zeolite mixed with an aquatic potting mix for the plant beds in the pond. Or maybe just zeolite and liquid nuets/root tabs - I'm leaning toward Zeolite and some sort of pond potting mix.

I'm going to try growing plants like hygrophila, cabomba, crypts and other "easy" plants. I live in a temporate climate but I'm hoping I can make it work - I really want the hygro to protrude the water line and I'm thinking the submerged growth would stand a better chance of surviving.

Any suggestions on substrates for a planted pond? - no pots, I've made plant beds/shelves in the pond.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So today I went and bought some pond soil, filled my plant beds and capped it off with zeolite.

filled the pond - forgot to check the water meter - derp

planted a heap of cabomba and some variety of lilly-looking thing.

down have a heap of money to spend on plants at this point so im hoping I can keep nutrients/algae under control until then.

also added the goldfish back to the pond.

The pond is set up so that if filtration becomes a significant problem I can easily add a canister filter between the pond and waterfall.

now to propagate enough plants to fill said pond :/ and get some long tweezers to make life easier... then breed a tonne of guppies again and fill the pond with guppies.

to be continued...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So it's been about an hour since I introduced my goldfish to the pond and now I don't see him. I grabbed the torch to have a look too and still no luck.. hopefully hes still there, otherwise I'll be blaming birds or a cat.. not happy jan

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok, the goldy is still alive, went to the fish shop and bought some plants for the pond.

some hygro, vals and some stuff for my aquariums too

I guess we'll soon see how they survive unheated :/ - I have my doubts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad to hear that goldy has been seen and is still in the pond.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It was a relief, that's for sure.

hopefully have some pics or a video uploaded soon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    do you have water hyancynth and/or water lettuce over there? they are floating plants that block algae from getting sun and also suck up nutrients that algae would use. they grow and propogate rapidly. common plant for ponds around here.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think I've seen any water hyancynth or water lettuce in the fish shops here. I did a bit of a google search and there were several state government websites stating they are invasive species so theres a good possibility they are no longer imported to Australia. I've got some vals, hygrophila costata, hygrophila difformis (water wisteria), some sort of lilly pad plant and what I think is cabomba.

yesterday morning I was out by the pond, everything looked sweet. come back from work later that arvo, look at the pond and the water is veery green.

Did a bit of a water change but I'm thinking I need more plants and soon. I'm actually quite surprised that everything has new growth and I'm not seeing a lot of leaves melting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but green water is caused by single cell algae in the water - Diatoms. Diatoms have a cell wall of silica. I recently added some silicone to the waterfall of my pond. could this be leaching silica or something that would aid in a sudden outburst of Diatoms? Because that seems to be the case. The green water and silicone work happened around the same time.

So, I need to solve this problem. I'm far from having spare cash to throw at a UV filter so I'm looking at chemical solutions. Does anyone have any previous experience with pond algaecides?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    photo (7).jpg

Heres a pic of the pond before she turned into green cordial