· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Advice

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Jabroni View Post
    My only concern with not setting water aside is the temperature of the water ... Provided I guess the temperatures are about the same, is that alright?
    Invest in a cheap little digital thermometer, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9840-Di.../dp/B00004XSC3

Hold it under the water stream until it matches the temp of your tank, then fill your bucket

Ok. I stopped by my pet store today to have a water sample checked. Results were very high nitrate with no ammonia.

I've ordered the water kit and Seachem. Unfortunately with Amazon Canada the shipping isn't as fast as I'd like, looking at a week.

So for now, keep changing water daily?
    Yes, change at least 50% or more each day, what water conditioner do you have now?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your cycle! - Slaphppy7   good research is good! - James`   

0 Not allowed!
    It was two different test strips to test my sample.

Just so you guys know, their recommendation was to do one 25% water change and then leave the tank for a week to cycle.

Right now I have water dechlorinater that came with my tank, I think it's made by Marineland.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Just so you guys know, their recommendation was to do one 25% water change and then leave the tank for a week to cycle.
    They may have good intentions, but that just won't work.

Stick with the AC, we'll give you SOUND advice

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    They may have good intentions, but that just won't work.

Stick with the AC, we'll give you SOUND advice
    Haha That sounds great!

Do you think I am ok to keep using this dechlorinator for the time being?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, anything is better than nothing...but the Prime is great stuff, a little goes a long way, and it detixifies the water is ways most others can't

And the paper test strips just don't compare to the liquid test kits

When you get a minute, check out the 10G journal in my sig...I started out pretty much the same way you did, and lots of others here as well

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    When you get a minute, check out the 10G journal in my sig...I started out pretty much the same way you did, and lots of others here as well
    Ok quick question, I read in your journal that for a 50% change to do this:

-To do a good water change without any special tools, just scope or siphon out 50% of the water into buckets etc
    -Add in enough of a dechlorinator to treat the entire tank, so with a 10 gallon tank, if you do 50% water change, add enough dechlor to treat 10 gallons, not just 5
    -Add water back in gently, as to not slam the water into the fish, I used to set the cup in on an angle and slowly dump it out

I normally just siphon out the water, dump it down the drain and get tap water. I dechlorinate tap water then put that into tank. Should I be using the above method instead?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A "cool icon" for a "cool kid" - Slaphppy7   No Message - pRED   No Message - pRED   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Save on declorinator by treating only the amount you're adding back to tank.
    Slaps method is for people adding water straight from the faucet via Python water changer. They do not use a reservoir/buckets. Your method saves Prime, and IMO is safer.
    Ricky

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Your method sounds just fine

A general rule of thumb with Prime: if you use buckets, treat the bucket amount only

If you use a siphon hose to fill from the sink, treat for the entire tank worth of water

I'm not familiar with the Marineland stuff, but I would treat the whole tank's worth each time regardless if you use a bucket or a siphon...I'm fairly sure it is safe, but again, I've never used that one

Most use buckets with a 10G; I did a few times until I discovered this thing, and never went back to buckets...makes WC's (water changes) SO much easier: http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python.../dp/B000255NXC

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I see! ... I missed that, sorry guys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need this! - talldutchie   Have another Clown - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Even when using a python you still only need to dose prime per the change water. Prime will still effectively dechlorinate. If you have plants I wouldn't reccomend over dosing prime because we like nitrates (after cycle)

It should be known other products such as Kordon's products will effect the pH negatively and you really don't want to overdose

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast