Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need this! - talldutchie   Have another Clown - Compass   

Default be harsh [video]

0 Not allowed!
    Where do I need improvements:

Size: 60 Gallon
    Cleaning Schedule: Every 3 days with RO replacing kH, GH, and selected minerals.
    Dosing:
    • Week Schedule including Iron, Nitrogen, and Phosphorous (I put something in tank daily (List not complete))

Equipment:
    • 2 x Sunsun filter rated for 1,000L/hr
    • 5lbs CO2 Cylinder with Electric Solenoid
    • CO2 Reactor connect to canositer outside
    • Submersible Heater 200wt
    • 4x T5 1200kt double day spectrum, 6700kt day, growth spectrum, and a twilight light with mostly reds
    • Many timers
    • Auto fed 3x daily, and 2x personally.

Substrate: Seachem Florite, Iron Rich Grave, and Caribsea Eco Complete
    Stock: Clown Loach, Gourami, Ram, Eel, Platys and frey, Guppy, Yoyo Loach, Raspora, Tetra, Oto, Pekoltia, Danio
    Plants: Lots, see video
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_i...referrer=watch

Please give serious change opinions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    there, I embedded the vid for you.

nice lush greenery in there and I like the variety of small schoaling fish. is it just the lighting or is there a bit of bubbles kind of foaming on the top? if so, a surface skimmer would take care of that.

I bet your eel loves it in there! so many places to hide!
    Last edited by Crispy; 01-08-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I think that is duckweed on top? Or some other floating plant. The lights are washing out the color so they look like bubbles.

I don't know James, you got a pretty good set up there. I personally don't see anything I would change about it. :)
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    What type of growth rates are you getting ?

The only area I would suggest looking into is the balance between the rate of CO2 and the ferts. However, if you are getting good growth rates I would leave well enough alone.

What about nitrate and phosphate levels ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    "Being Harsh"

I'll judge it - rough lol - just my quick thoughts

-too many different species of fish, If you can, simplify it, it'll allow for more enjoyment of the planted aspect
    -I'd do a black background, blue is good in marine, but the blue doesn't show off the plants as well
    -get rid of the duck weed ;) (good luck)
    -not a big fan of the mixed gravel/sand on the right side, i'd say bury it in more gravel so that the substrate is consistent

Tank and plants look great though, those are just my "super judging" remarks :p

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    nice lush greenery in there and I like the variety of small schoaling fish. is it just the lighting or is there a bit of bubbles kind of foaming on the top? if so, a surface skimmer would take care of that.

Thanks for the embed! Like Compass mentioned, it is duckweed on the top. Growing way too quick

The only time I see the eel (towards end of video if you watch) is during bloodworm time and at time. I am hoping he begins to eat the platy frey... That was the intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I don't know James, you got a pretty good set up there. I personally don't see anything I would change about it. :)
    Thank you! Any artsy suggestions on plant placement I would appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    What type of growth rates are you getting ?

The only area I would suggest looking into is the balance between the rate of CO2 and the ferts. However, if you are getting good growth rates I would leave well enough alone.

What about nitrate and phosphate levels ?
    The Anubias is not responding to CO2 as much as other plants. The stem plants I am getting just incredible growth rates. I inject about 5-7 bubbles a second on my fluval counter. I say I am cutting 7" plants every 10 days. Some plants grow send out 4 runners from where I cut... It an get out of control to keep trimming making it nice

Balance is key, you said it....

I use a lot of Purigen in my canisters so my nitrates do not really raise. Nor is nitrate enough nitrogen for the plants. I dose Nitrogen and Phosphorous twice a week in a 5:1 ratio. Aquavitro is the brand. I'm not too specific on these two as I am other levels. I should monitor them better...

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    "Being Harsh"

I'll judge it - rough lol - just my quick thoughts

-too many different species of fish, If you can, simplify it, it'll allow for more enjoyment of the planted aspect
    -I'd do a black background, blue is good in marine, but the blue doesn't show off the plants as well
    -get rid of the duck weed ;) (good luck)
    -not a big fan of the mixed gravel/sand on the right side, i'd say bury it in more gravel so that the substrate is consistent

Tank and plants look great though, those are just my "super judging" remarks :p
    I look at my tank and see the 2 danio or just 6 raspora and always think if I didn't have these guys i could have so many more of these... Ultimately it comes down to I need more tank so I can more of each species! I enjoy the diversity in species and the small challenges that come with cross mixing

You're so right, I wish it could be a black background. When my dad gave it to me it was blue... Irony of it... my marine tank is black :/ oh well...

Each day I think to myself maybe today is the day I'll take it all out and I end up removing 80% only to wake up to a fully covered tank of it. I am fortunate enough to have friends in the hobby with less "farm tanks", as they call mine, who enjoy the duck weed coverage. They have taken my surplus as well as all the LFS. If you pay for shipping I'll send it to anyone haha..

My loaches appreciate the shade though. The 4 x T5 annoys them without shading... I think at least hahaha

Tell me what you think about drawf baby tears over there? It's always been my idea but I just don't know... It doesn't fit in at all does it?
    Last edited by James`; 01-08-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    if you have co2 and higher light the baby tears would be nice

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    if you have co2 and higher light the baby tears would be nice
    I inject quite a bit of co2 on timers and quality bulbs on point for growth. I am not worried about it being able to grow. I worry this might be the plant the platy decides is dinner, or loach destroys... And would it even look nice over there? That is kind of the loach area where they post up on rocks in the back right corner under that driftwood cave thing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    true. I've never seen success with ground cover plants and loaches lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

You saw him come out around 4:15 right? Kinda cool moment for me whenever he comes out. He has a PVC tube tunnel system across the back 10x4 inches under rocks and then sand.

@Triton I think this may be my motivation to seek out loach friendly carpeters.