· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Question about overstocking tank, with (shy) inactive schooling fish. (Glass Catfish)

0 Not allowed!
    Please don't hate me for having such an overstocked tank, my main question is whether it is worth it to add more fish to keep them in a happy school, considering the all circumstances

HI THERE! Here's my deal -

I currently have Glass Catfish, and "Debauwi" (Three Striped African Glass Catfish) - currently 3 of each.
    The Glass Catfish stay in a tight school towards the middle/top of the tank, and the Debuawi school at the top.

Both species literally hover in one place, although the Dubwai occaisionaly seperate and rapidly zigzag around the tank, skimming the surface with their whiskers (This is how they look for food, and they stop short and nibble on anything they brush against, even my finger! It's so cute)

Anyway, I know that both of these fish are extremely peaceful schooling species, and I was wondering if it would be okey to "overstock" the tank -
    ***Assuming I have adequate Filtration! *** Would it be better to "overstock" the tank with a school of 5 Glass and 5 Dubuawi, especially considdering the glass is a shy and sensitive species?

I also have 3 Corys, which add much needed activity to the tank, and stick to the bottom, in a loose group, and of course don't bother anyone. I wouldn't consider it a school…
    And finally, I did get 1 Upsidedown Catfish. Hes similar to a pleco in the way he keeps to himself and hides a lot, but that's about it - He doesn't get huge, he doesn't seem to eat/poop a lot, he swims upsidedown, and he frequently (and rapidly) changes color. Also, compared to all the plecos I've seen (or haven't seen?) he comes swims around a lot more than plecos. He does hide a lot and is skiddish, but when he does decide to switch positions in the tank, he actively swims about for a few minutes.

I did a photoshoot of each species (All of them get a max of ~4 inches):
    CatfishRESIZEDforum.png

Not only do I find large schools of fish extremely interesting to watch, but the fact I am able to clearly observe to seperate schools of fish in my own aquarium is just amazing, and the fact that they don't move around that much and swim at totally different levels of the aquarium would make me think that it would be okey to do this.

FishLevels.png

I am also going to college at a University that has a large Fishary Biology program, so many of my friends are extremely interested in fish, and we could talk for hours about them. Because it is going to be a catfish tank, it'll be great to educate all my friends about how diverse catfish are, not only in shape, but also behavior, adaptations, and even personality!

My Tank:
    FishTankResized.png
    This is my current tank setup, it's a 10 gallon, and I set it up so most importantly, you can see the fish, while the fish do have many places to hide, and yet there are still many open spaces and paths for them to swim (it's hard to see depth in this picture.)

PLEASE NOTE: I would do more frequent water changes and would definetly want to upgrade the tank size when the fish get a little bigger and I have the means.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the forum. First off, no one is going to "hate" you here. Obviously you realize we might disagree with how this tank is set up but we won't hate. It is good of you to realize the needs of your fish but I think your plan to correct the problem is a bit misguided. Yes these fish need larger schools but they also need more water. They need space to move around and space to feel comfortable in. It isn't just about water quality, it is also about available space. As far a the water quality goes, you'd end up doing water changes every day just to keep the tank stable and then even that might not be enough. Small tanks are rather hard to keep in balance and I would never suggest one overstock a small tank.

Your plan to get a bigger tank later is admirable. However this isn't the best way to go about it. Let's say your fish get to that point where they must have that bigger tank. You go to get it and something happens and you can't afford that bigger tank. It is an expensive upgrade and a luxury item. I can't tell you how many times we have planned on a new tank and our time tables have been moved because of money issues. Right now I think your best option is to look into rehoming the fish that are going to get too large and/or will need to big a school to fit in this tank.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    ++ to Compass. What most people don't realize is that fish will get stunted and not grow to their normal size if they are kept in a tank that's too small for them to grow in. Not a good thing because their internal organs will continue to grow and their body cannot accommodate them and therefore the fish become disfigured. Again, not good for the fish.
    Your heart is there but you need to make some tough decisions.
    I don't know much about any of your cats but the cories. You might consider upping the cory school to 6 and if one of your other varieties doesn't grow much larger than the cories, you could have another school of 6. Or go with 10 or 12 cories. they'd be a blast to watch.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for the kind, and helpful replies. Money is not as much of a problem as athority figures - There is a 10 gallon limit on tanks in the dorms (I'm sure I could sneak a 12 if I find one, or even slightly larger if I keep them in my personal bedroom/under my bed. Which I wouldn't want to do.), and my parents are already annoyed that I came home from college with a bunch of fish, although I do have an empty 20 gallon and 90 gallon sitting in the house. I think once I can prove to them that I can keep up my grades with these new distractions, they would be okey with me upgrading my tank size.

I think if I Could house 10 or 12 cories, then I think that 10 or 12 fish in general would be okey, especially because as I said before, each school of fish rarely comes into contact with eachother becasue they stick to totally different levels of the tank. What about 5 Glass, and just 3 Dubuawi and 3 cories? Glass need the school for survival (because they are so sensetive and stressed) but the Dubuawi and cories are both hardy, and when the Dubuawi do get spooked, they actually join the school of glass cats, which is interesting (but not surprising, since both species have such similar behaviors, just at different levels of the tank.)

Water Quality - I actually found this forum thru a topic about overstocking a tank but giving it extra filtration, which evened things out. I always make sure not to overfeed my fish, and I think the cories clean everything up (I do target-feed them occaisionally.)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    again, I'm not familiar with any of the cats but the cories and they, too, need the comfort of 6 minimum.
    One other thing to take into account - you have all bottom dwellers, Not only will it be crowded with 3 schools, you must really be on top of your water parameters as toxins settle and nitrates will be much higher at the bottom.
    let us know what you decide and a photo would be great.
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean by bottom dwellers, I understand that they are all catfish which are stereotyped as bottom dwellers, but the cories are the only true bottom dwellers - Like I said, the Glass Catfish hover mid-level and the Dubwai school at the surface. I don't think that physical space for the fish is too much of an issue since the 3 groups of fish rarely collide.

I did post pictures of the current fish I have, but I will be sure to keep you updated and post pictures of the finished tank, and of course, I will be on top of the water parameters!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Great! Like I said I don't know anything about the other cats and made an assumption. My bad :o).

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean by bottom dwellers, I understand that they are all catfish which are stereotyped as bottom dwellers, but the cories are the only true bottom dwellers - Like I said, the Glass Catfish hover mid-level and the Dubwai school at the surface. I don't think that physical space for the fish is too much of an issue since the 3 groups of fish rarely collide.

I did post pictures of the current fish I have, but I will be sure to keep you updated and post pictures of the finished tank, and of course, I will be on top of the water parameters!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    The cories will stay the smallest. The others are going to get way too big for a ten gallon tank. You are going to have fish that push 3 inches (the upside down catfish getting to 4 inches). I do not think that upping your stock is going to help your fish in anyway. I can see you really love fish but I really think you need to reign that enthusiasm in a bit. Looking at your other thread, you currently have these fish in a 3 gallon tank. Even for a short period of time this is very bad for those fish. They are not meant to live in something so small. I figure you are doing the best with what you have, but you need to realize that maybe you should wait until you are certain you can have a bigger tank. I would also wait until you are in a more stable environment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    the glass cats are tough. They require a large group to feel comfortable, get a bit too bit for a 10g, really think min for them would be a 20g.

I think a cory school would do plenty fine, and then maybe some sort of microfish for a upper level swimmer

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    To add to that, I don't want to sound needlessly harsh. I want you to know where I am coming from here. I tried keeping tarantulas in college and terrestrial creatures are much easier to care for than fish. It still didn't end well. I lost mine over Thanksgiving break because I wasn't there to help it after it molted. What will you do with the fish during fall break? Spring break? The summer? I've seen friends get fish in college and the logistics are a nightmare. I can tell from the questions you ask that there is a lot you don't know. That is totally fine, understandable, we have all been there. But being new AND trying to do things the way you are doing them is going to be incredibly difficult. I know this sounds horribly pessimistic but I just want you to see the other side of the coin.