· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Great! Like I said I don't know anything about the other cats and made an assumption. My bad :o).
    It's fine. The main reason I chose to make it a catfish tank was to teach people about how diverse they really are.

At first glance the Dubwai Catfish more looks like those little minnows you would see in most North American streams, but that's where the similarities end. They spend most of their time in a tight school at the surface, or rapidly zig-zagging about, skimming the surface with their whiskers the entire time, in search of food. It's quite a sight.

I've tried to photograph it but haven't gotten a *perfect* picture, but here's a few I got where you can at least see the behavior:
    Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 12.12.50 PM.png

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oops, I really thought that 3 gallons would be enough for 3 weeks of winter (None of the fish are over 2 inches yet). And the only pets we are allowed to keep are fish, in 10 gallons maximum :/
    Fall Break is only a 3 day weekend. ThanksGiving isn't even a full week, and the Residence Director who lives in the dorms full time volenteers to care for people's fish in the main lobby (As you could imagine, I got to a pretty small school)

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do during Spring, but I'm assuming there will be a similar scenario to Fall.

I'm going to have to do my best with the 10 gallon at college until May, and maybe during the summer I'll just move everyone into the 20 gallon and just keep them home for good.

I have one friend with 15 goldfish in a 5 gallon tank, and another who has two 4 or 5 inch Koi in a 5 gallon tank. The water becomes so murkey so fast that he has to change every 2 days.

Someone in another building also has 40 gallon axlotls under their bed… . .

Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 12.50.27 PM.png

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    I commend you on having the largest tank there. That is an absolutely terrifying picture.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    (Mine's not in the picture, that's the 5 gallon koi tank) For the most part, everyone has bettas, and the bigger 3 gallon tanks usually have about 4 Walmart mollies and a tonne of poop in them.

Maybe I can somehow convince the college to let me "donate" my 90 gallon, and set it up in one of the buildings… Maybe the science center? There's already a pretty big tank in the gym.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    those photos are horrifying. very sad and extremely irresponsible. the fish would be better off out of their misery
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Agreed. That picture is terrible. All those fish are living in toilet water, and if that wasn't enough, it sounds from your descriptions that their owners don't take proper care of their tanks. It's usually a good thing when someone buys a beta fish, because the conditions they are kept in at most stores are deplorable, but this is probably worse. Most of those fish would be much better off back in the store.

I commend you on coming here for advice, you obviously want to do what's right for your fish. Please listen to what everyone is saying. Definitely don't add to your stock, and you should seek ways to move the fish to a larger tank very soon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Please tell me there's only shrimp in those pickle jars....

Poor shrimp, even
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers