• 15 to 20 years

1 16.67%
  • 20 to 25 years

1 16.67%
  • more than 25 years

1 16.67%

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

Default How long do think they live ?

0 Not allowed!
    This topic always seams to get people's attention. Just wondering what everyone here thinks. How long would you guys think most tang fish can live for in a aquarium (assuming proper conditions are provided)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm going to guess 10 - 15 years.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone else care to guess ????
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmm well I picked 0-5 first because I know that some Tangs (Yellow in particular) are not kept right. I can't tell you how many Yellow Tangs I've seen at the pet store that look like skin and bones because there is no algae to eat. However, then I read where you said "proper conditions." lol Now I'm not so sure.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Oh heck...I thought this poll was about the shelf life of Tang, the breakfast drink

I picked 0-5
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Mommy1 was the closest

Actually, most tangs will live to between 20 to 25 years in captivity. My orange shoulder tang is at least 12 years old right now.

I once read a study completed by the US government concerning the harvesting of fish for the hobby along the shores of Hawaii. The oldest yellow tang they captured and studied was 30 something. I can't remember the exact age. nor can I find that darn article again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Oh heck...I thought this poll was about the shelf life of Tang, the breakfast drink

I picked 0-5
    You consider tang a breakfast drink? Gross........... Seriously hahha Just thinking of drinking Tang with eggs and bacon makes my skin crawl. Just because it is orange flavored doesn't make it worth it! Sorry, Florida boy here with his Oranges... I'll see myself out now. :P
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Dang it! I was going to choose 20 t0 25 years but went conservative. A lot of fish can live a lot longer than we think when kept properly. "When kept properly" being the important part of the equation. My father just lost a couple panda cory that I gave him about 5 years ago and they were about 8 years old when I gave them to him. Last year I finally lost a couple buenos aires tetra that were 12- 13 years old. I know I am talking freshwater fish and you are talking saltwater fish, but the concept is the same regardless, "properly kept fish".
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think a lot of the fish we keep (both freshwater and saltwater) can live very very long lives when kept properly. The only time I have lost any of my congos (once out of QT) was when I had a heater failure. Several of my congos are about 6 years now, even tho most sites say they only live about 4 to 5 years.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

3 Not allowed!
    the Shedd aquarium in Chicago has a lungfish that is over 100 years old. it was donated to them when the aquarium opened and they aren't exactly sure of its actual age, but it's still alive and swimming. now thats some dedicated fishkeeping there!!
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!