· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

Lightbulb 20 gal. Goldfish/Tropical Fish Mix Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I recently got some fish, I'll name the kinds later, and had a couple of questions.

I was told by a pet store employee that it is possible to set the heater temperature to a point where both tropical fish and cold water fish can live together in harmony, so I went ahead, trusting his advice, and began the process. After a day, I successfully managed to get the tank down to 75 degrees Fahrenheit, which was the recommended temperature given to me by the pet store employee. Any comments about this? I've only had the fish for two days, am I killing any of them?

I currently own one pearl scale goldfish, two mollies, a vampire shrimp and two apple snails, though the pearl scale is my favorite.

My pearl scale does not go near the top of the tank, this could be because the temperature at the top is warmer than the bottom, as its favorite spot seems to be at the bottom, but I'm not sure. What can I do about this? It's difficult feeding him when he has to wait for flakes to sink to the bottom (I also have sinking pellets he seems to enjoy) (he may be constipated, I'm not feeding him tomorrow).
    I've caught him just sitting on the floor of the tank a couple of times too. I fiddled with the water flowing from the filter, which may or may not solve this problem, any advice?

I think my other fish are healthy; my black and white mollies seem happy, and don't seem to be bothering my pearl scale. My vampire shrimp keeps to itself and hides in some of the plastic foliage I have around, I actually watched him filter feed today using his feeding fans (so cool). The apple snails shouldn't require any extra work, right?

I guess the final question I have is water chemistry: how difficult is it to maintain? My Penguin filter has something called a bio-wheel which should help maintain proper water chemistry, but is it enough?

Thanks for reading through my story, if you did. I'm just very concerned because I've never done anything like this before, and my girlfriend would be absolutely crushed if she found any of our new pets dead.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

3 Not allowed!
    Even though goldfish are traditionally thought of and kept as cold water fish, they can actually tolerate a wide variety of temperatures. 75F should work fine for both species of fish. However, your goldfish will outgrow a 20g tank, and if he is properly cared for he will out grow it quickly.

I am assuming you put your fish in an uncycled tank and that is why the goldfish is at the bottom. Do a large water change, at least 50% of the water and don't forget the water conditioner, then read this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Water quality/chemistry is not difficult to maintain at all as long as you have a properly stocked and filtered tank.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Mommy1 hit it, the goldfish well outgrow the tank quick and is a messy fish. Keep a close eye on your water parameters and be prepared to do frequent and large water changes if your tank isn't cycled.
    29 gallon planted
    125 gallon work in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Water quality/chemistry is not difficult to maintain at all as long as you have a properly stocked and filtered tank.
    And cycled....an uncycled tank will kill fish quicker than the wrong temp ever would...

Do read thoroughly the link mommy1 provided you about cycling with fish

And be wary of what fish store employees tell you...most of the time, they don't know or don't care about proper fish keeping
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Okay, I hear what you guys are saying and it's really good advice.
    My tank wasn't cycled, it was just left to settle with the tap water and conditioner in the tank and the filter running for 48 hours, that's all the pet store employees would recommend doing.

What's the best way to do a water change? 50% can be pretty drastic, I don't want to remove bowl after bowl of water, then pour bowl after bowl back in, that's just stressful for both the fish and I haha. Any other way of replacing water? Do you guys use commercially available tools? What kind of water do you recommend (is tap water fine)?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Get a water siphon; makes water changes MUCH easier

I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python.../dp/B000255NXC

You can buy them in different length hoses, this one is the shortest at 25 feet

Aqueon makes a nice one similar to this, too

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   Enjoy the season! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC! Thank you for caring about your new pets. Please do follow the excellent advice given above and keep asking any questions that pop up. Pay particular attention to that article mommy1 linked to.

How might you and your girlfriend feel about returning your fish to the store while you cycle? There is a fishless cycle option.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slaphppy, I'll be sure to look into that. How is it used? Do you attach it directly to the faucet? I'm pretty far away from a sink, just as a note, but I do have plenty of big bowls and buckets.

Hey RiversGirl, thanks for the welcome. You guys are so great with replying in a timely matter.
    I have another tank, 10 gallon, that houses 2 frogs and 3 neon tetras. If I had to do a fish-less cycle could I temporarily move my guys into there?
    Last edited by Goudie300; 01-02-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Hmm, I don't keep frogs, but I understand they put out quite the bioload

If it were me, I'd leave things as they are, and do the fish-in cycle on the 20G

You're gonna need a good water conditioner, and a good test kit...I recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI

http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043...=seachem+prime

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks again Slaphppy, I can go out to the pet store and find these today.

One other thing, do you condition the water before adding it to the tank or after?