· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Thanks so much for the rep!! - Compass   Have another banana, LOL - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7   For your new addition - Boundava   

Default In Search of the "Perfect" Moss

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I'm hoping that someone can help me find the "perfect" moss for an upcoming project. We are going to be building a diffuser (seen here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...t=44359&page=4) for a freshwater tank and filling it with ceramic rings, and I am looking for the perfect moss to cover the bottle. Ideally it is...

• really short
    • interesting
    • able to grow at least a little out of the water to cover the bottle
    • fairly low maintenance
    • not java moss
    • not going to take over the top of the tank (I'll prune, I promise)

It will be getting first dibs on water coming from the filter, and the intake is pretty darn close to the bottom of the tank.
    I was going to buy some star moss off of ebay until I learned that "star moss" is a really general term and it may even be a terrarium moss.

Here are some other things I have looked at...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe flame or Taiwan moss.
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    That was either Java moss or Christmas moss in that thread

The below link gives you a list of some mosses, click on the names and you'll get some pics
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Thanks so much for the rep!! - Compass   Have another banana, LOL - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7   For your new addition - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm... I really like the Taiwan moss personally because it reminds me of out-of-water ferns but still looks too long for what we want for this project.

I think the moss in that thread was listed as java moss, but we did not like how it seemed to take over the tank. We have other plants that light needs to get to.

The "Marine Aquarium Info" link? I can't get it to work =(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I have "christmas" moss and its stays nice and compact. Matter of fact I actually bought this for the 5 gallon betta tanks I have upstairs, it was a quarter size when I got it last summer. I have this amount in my 75 gallon and about the same in the two 5 gallon tanks upstairs. Hey we are right near wisconsin-I can ship you some in a week when it might warm up...or you can stop by me if you are near the IL border and I can give you some. Have more than enough.

IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    moss.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 01-01-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We don't get down by the IL border much. I'll pm you my address and you can check out how much it is to ship. It certainly doesn't look like it has taken over your tank, and if you don't mind sending some then it's worth trying. I can send you $$ for shipping through pay pal.