· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New Started and a Air Stone Question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I am proud to announce that foe Christmas I got bought my first aquarium from my mother and father and am currently buying all the bits and pieces for it. It's only 40l but I hope this is the start of a new venture for me.

Anyways I have done much research over the last few days. I have got myself a air pump and a air stone to oxygenate the water and also get that cool looking bubble effect. I am going to install one under a log so the bubbles come from under it. I was also thinking of installing one near the front under some pebbles (or in the gravel itself) to create effect number two. As it is only a 40l tank would having two be to much? given the size is only 47cm across.

Its probably a dumb question but as I say it's tank number one and trying to get some of the novice questions out of the day before I tackle the whole....shall i get freshwater or marine wish....

Regards

Chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Start with freshwater and do a fishless cycle. This means purchasing a liquid test kit like the API freshwater master test kit, and a bottle of pure ammonia (90% water and 10% ammonia). If you shake the bottle and it foams, then it has other ingredients that you do not want to use for the fishless cycle. You will need a good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime.

Also, you will need a hang on the back filter rated for a 80 liter tank filled with bio-media like fluval bio-max. The aquaclear powerfilter 20 is a good one or you can get a hydro spongefilter and replace one of your airstones.

Fishless cycle
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    + to Rocksor. While you're correct that airstones do help with oxygenation in the water, you also need a filter, as Rocksor suggested to help keep impurities out of the tank.

As to burying your airstone under the gravel - good idea but not a good result. it will constantly stir the substrate and make your water cloudy. Better to tuck it behind something.

And don't worry about newbie questions. That's what this forum is all about. helping newbies and even experienced fish keepers with questions and problems.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you.

I do have the filter, thats all in there and ready to go. Is there a limit to how many airstones you should have was really my main question.

But thank you and I am sure I will be here a few times over the next couple of days.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    there's no limit but for the size of your tank one would be plenty. You could have 2 if you want but you should see how it looks when it's up and running and then make your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_bham View Post
    Thank you.

I do have the filter, thats all in there and ready to go. Is there a limit to how many airstones you should have was really my main question.

But thank you and I am sure I will be here a few times over the next couple of days.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need this! - talldutchie   Have another Clown - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_bham View Post
    Is there a limit to how many airstones you should have was really my main question
    With the use of gang valves and T connectors you're able to implement bubbles into your aquascapes at a more desired bubble speed and size. This may limit the amount of surface agitation, which is what oxygenates the water.

I use little 1" stones all over the place in one of my clients tanks. She loves having little bubbles in every possible place haha.. Looks kinda cool

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    there's no limit but for the size of your tank one would be plenty. You could have 2 if you want but you should see how it looks when it's up and running and then make your decision.
    Actually there is a limit fishmommie... If you really overdo it you run the risk of this. Which is rare but not unheard of.

http://en.wikivet.net/Gas_Bubble_Disease

@chris: If you like the look of a bubble thingy then add one or two if you like. They're not necessary, a filter return just over the water does at least as much. Personally I don't use 'm but there's plenty of people here who do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Actually there is a limit fishmommie... If you really overdo it you run the risk of this. Which is rare but not unheard of.

http://en.wikivet.net/Gas_Bubble_Disease

@chris: If you like the look of a bubble thingy then add one or two if you like. They're not necessary, a filter return just over the water does at least as much. Personally I don't use 'm but there's plenty of people here who do.
    according to the link, you need to have pressure applied, which means something like a powerhead or sump pump to suck in the bubbles and force it to dissolve into the water thereby saturating the water with gases. A good example is tap water that is under pressure, where during the winter, the cold water is more susceptible to allowing more gases to be absorbed into when put into the water lines.

The airstones do not apply any pressure to the water in the aquarium. In fact, airstones help to relieve the water in the tank of gases and equilibrate the water in the tank with the atmospheric air.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-29-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    according to the link, you need to have pressure applied, which means something like a powerhead or sump pump to suck in the bubbles and force it to dissolve into the water thereby saturating the water with gases. A good example is tap water that is under pressure, where during the winter, the cold water is more susceptible to allowing more gases to be absorbed into when put into the water lines.

The airstones do not apply any pressure to the water in the aquarium. In fact, airstones help to relieve the water in the tank of gases and equilibrate the water in the tank with the atmospheric air.
    Precisely...I learned the hard way, even started a thread about it here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...bubble+disease

In my case, the tap water was too warm, 84-85F, to add the the tankwater (78F) for the fish to handle, I believe because the overwarm water was too saturated with gas(es)

Thankfully, I still had an airstone strip (that I never use) still attached to an air pump...the bubbles from the airstone created enough agitation to release the gas(es) quickly enough, and I only lost 4 fish...but it could have been ALOT worse

Thanks again, mommy1

My tap temp in the summer is 86F; I now float frozen water bottles, and run the sirstone, every water change day during the hot months here.

As stated above, you don't need an airstone, if you like it, get it

In my case, I have to have them, IMO
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post

The link may not be entirely correct. This has also been reported in systems where the water is close to saturation from various other causes. I remember one case on another forum where an air curtain and a leaky filter caused a very bubbly tank, close to complete saturation. That owner reported mystery deaths.

Anyway, it's rare but not impossible even without pressure.