• Eheim Classic

1 50.00%
  • Marineland C-360

0 0%

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Talking Upgrade canister filter - least bypass

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I currently am running an API Filstar XP small on my 30 gal. Although the filter is easy for maintenence needs and runs very silent and seems to be keeping the tank super clean, Im concerned with the overall design of the canister. Seems to allow for alot of bypass. So in short I'm lookin to return it and replace with a sligtly stronger canister. I keep seeing mixed opinions and reviews everywhere so I turn to AC forum for expert advice here; here are my suggestive options..

Fluval 306, Marineland C360, Eheim Classic 2215

Fluval - I keep hearing they are good and I know they have been around the aquatic scene for quite some time now. However alot of people also mention that the quality of Fluval has degraded? Anyone have input on this particula 306 model? Im very interested in this one.

Marineland - toooo many reviews stating that the product leaks. Even after Marineland did a revision on this canister series, they still seem to be faulty, otherwise, quality seems excellent. We all know Marineland makes some of the best HOB filters so maybe with time they'll hit the mark on canisters.

Eheim - from what I research, this seems to be a favorite -- I just dont like the part where the filter does not self prime. Not too excited about having to suck the tube and maybe taste some aquarium water every time I do a water change lol. Anyone have input on this?

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by cosmicgabe; 12-27-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Just a quick note on the eheim: you really only have to prime it by sucking once. After that, if you leave water in the intake hose when cleaning the filter, the water in the hose will prime the filter. Works very well, there are some youtube videos out there on how to do this. I've only had to prime by sucking the very first time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicgabe View Post

Eheim - from what I research, this seems to be a favorite -- I just dont like the part where the filter does not self prime. Not too excited about having to suck the tube and maybe taste some aquarium water every time I do a water change lol. Anyone have input on this?

Thanks for your time!

With a classic you don't need to suck the hose any time, just when you clean the hoses . And even then just unhook the outflow hose and let gravity do most of the work.

Also a 2215 is quite a bit of flow for something that size. Not all species of fish will appreciate that. If you got slow flow or stagnant water species a 2213 is a better option

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    What exactly is your concern with the Rena? I have used three of them now with never a problem

I would suggest one additional option not yet listed here. Leave the rena XP small on the tank and add a HOB filter, like a aquaclear 50

https://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Clip-On/A610

If you want to just replace your current Rena, then I would suggest either the Eheim 2213 or the Fluval 306
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for feedback guys, ive since returned the filstart api and switched to a Fluval 306. The fluval is better in every way just a bit noisier than the api if that matters to you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicgabe View Post
    Thanks for feedback guys, ive since returned the filstart api and switched to a Fluval 306. The fluval is better in every way just a bit noisier than the api if that matters to you
    I've liked all of my fluvals. I had one marineland and had it leak on me and it just felt cheap compared to to fluvals.