· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks so much for the advice - Slaphppy7   Have a betta! - Slaphppy7   

Default Air bubbles in sand

0 Not allowed!
    Started the set up of my 55 gallon today. I used 60 lbs of black sand bought from a chain pet store, have the water in and the HOB filter going. Its been running for about three hours now and there is a lot of trapped air in the sand. I've been stirring it periodically to release the air and its helping but the now the air bubbles are getting trapped in balls with some of the sand, making little floating sand bubbles that are hard to break apart.

How will will this last? Will the trapped air/gasses eventually go away on its own?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Did you wash it well before adding it to the tank. ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Christmas Clownfish,  Enjoy the holidays - Cliff   Happy New Year!  Pop a cork for me :o) - fishmommie   Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family are well. - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I have had bubbles for days on things new to my tank including the substrate. They will go away in time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No, I didn't wash it at all. I put some in a glass with water and saw that it wasn't dirty at all so I didn't worry about it. The water is barely cloudy, it was a very clean sand.
    The bubbles are slowly going away on the surface but still pop up like crazy when I stir. It needs to cycle so there is time for everything to settle before the fish move in.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    You can get trapped air when you don't wash the sand first

Complete a gravel vac and you should be fine
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You can get trapped air when you don't wash the sand first

Complete a gravel vac and you should be fine
    Or, just leave it alone.

The trapped air bubbles will evntually work their way out....no harm in letting them settle/dissipate with the substrate.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'll make sure and wash the sand next time, thanks. I'm going to just leave it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Or, just leave it alone.

The trapped air bubbles will evntually work their way out....no harm in letting them settle/dissipate with the substrate.
    Yeah... why would this bother anyone?!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Because there was a lot of floating sand bits that I was worried about getting in the HOB fliter but I rigged up a prefilter for the time being.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I use hydrosponge replacement filters on my hob and canister filter intakes to keep sand from getting sucked in. Sand will very quickly destroy impellers.

^^^Please click on the eggs/dragons, thank you!^^^