· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast

Thread: My Aquarium

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The tank has been re-stocked with corals as I lost most due to not doing nothing with it for 6 months

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I know this may sound odd. But 6 months of very little done to it?? To me that is actually very amazing.
    Because it shows the ecosystem was function quite well. Just like always a aquarium has a finite amount of rescouces to use, IE minerals, ferts, and waste removal.
    Do you mind me asking how much it has all cost to fix??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I know this may sound odd. But 6 months of very little done to it?? To me that is actually very amazing.
    Because it shows the ecosystem was function quite well. Just like always a aquarium has a finite amount of rescouces to use, IE minerals, ferts, and waste removal.
    Do you mind me asking how much it has all cost to fix??
    The system is well matured and the equipment is over spec for the size and for it to last as it did for 6 months with not a single water change, no additives or anything added it done well.

I DID loose a lot of the sensitive corals but that was to be expected.

And the rough cost to get it back to where it is has been about £200 A lot of the corals have been frags from mates who have tanks and they was returning the favour when I helped them with frags ECT when mine was thriving.

Total cost so far including all losses since setup over 3 years and all equipment is in excess of £10'000 but what can you do for that amount over 3 years and enjoy it indoors all the time there is nothing.

There is more planned for it in the future but at present I'm bringing the nutrients back down and getting the water back to perfect which means weekly 200L waterchanges it will soon get there and has bounced back well.

I've known a lot of systems crash going through far less then my system has so it must be fairly well setup and balanced :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Little bit of an equipment update

I had been thinking about one of these for a while a macro algae reactor but the prices for these units seem crazy for what they are so went about making one.

It consists of a second-hand TMC500 pellet reactor (Thanks Shane) and a £10 waterproof 5m strip of 12v led's 300 in total and daylight spec 6000-6500k

I got them and wrapped them around the reactor followed by a several rolls of insulation tape and there we have it DIY macro algae reactor I'll see how it goes

And here it is fitted to the tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That's pretty cool Marty things are looking a lot better.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwfish13 View Post
    That's pretty cool Marty things are looking a lot better.
    Have checked the reactor tonight 8 days later and I'm impressed

How it started

And after 8 days this so it's clearly working well

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What is that?...a green wig?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    What is that?...a green wig?
    It's Chaeto

As it grows it consumes nitrate and phosphate so people in marine keeping grow it to absorb those nutrients we don't want and when we then harvest and take a chunk out we are exporting it from the system :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh!...I've heard of that stuff before, but don't believe I've ever seen a pic of it

Does it grow naturally in the wild?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Oh!...I've heard of that stuff before, but don't believe I've ever seen a pic of it

Does it grow naturally in the wild?
    Yeah it does it's an excellent way to export nutrients

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast