· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: My Aquarium

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    You have great setup! Lots of equipment I haven't seen before. Seems some googling is in order for this newbie!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
    Thanks for the comments it does seem that the pellets just do not perform in tropical but because tropical sump setups are not as vast as marine
    I think it might have more to do with the different types of bacteria that you get within each, but that is only based on what I have read and my very limited experience trying the bio-pellets in fresh water.

I am really looking forward to reading about your thoughts on the o-zone. I have never used it so I am hoping to learn from you
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!

The thing with aquariums no two are the same what works in mine may say not work if my neighbour had the exact same tank the basics are all the same particle filtration then biological you can then add different equipment for different purposes.

For example the purigin and active carbon will remove the tannins from bog wood and will also remove other suspended substances.

You can add items but it also depends of people's budgets and setups as on a basic tropical setup with no sump you would struggle to run the equipment I run its basically a marine setup with freshwater fish in only thing I don't have the marine has is a skimmer and salt water and live rock and corral sand.

I find having the sump keeps the display tank clutter free as all my heaters ect are on the sump.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I think it might have more to do with the different types of bacteria that you get within each, but that is only based on what I have read and my very limited experience trying the bio-pellets in fresh water.

I am really looking forward to reading about your thoughts on the o-zone. I have never used it so I am hoping to learn from you
    I have spent many hours researching on using ozone it's better to be in a reactor under pressure so it helps saturation into the water on a freshwater setup.

As said the most important thing is to keep the ozone contained so not to escape into the atmosphere in the room or into the water to then enter the display tank.

I take it you are running marine so you would Imput it through your skimmer but make sure your skimmer is ozone safe as it will soon degrade any material that isn't including airline. On a skimmer you need a bag of carbon on the top to absorb the ozone that will be coming from the top of skimmer or you will be smelling ozone only way to describe the smell is its like the smell you get outside once it's just hammered it down with rain as that smell is also ozone. You will also skim a lot better with ozone and the water leaving your skimmer needs to go through activated carbon to remove any trace of ozone.

You will know when the carbon is exhausted as you will get the smell of ozone make a note of the date you install it and you will then know roughly how long the carbon is lasting so you can then change it before you get the ozone smell.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Great tank :)
    I would up the numbers of your panda and swarz cory to 5 each if you can
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need this! - talldutchie   Have another Clown - Compass   

1 Not allowed!
    When you begin injecting co2 watch for pH fluctuations overnight due to co2 exhaled from plants. If there is no refugium observing the extra co2 or no increased agitation this will effect pH. Refugiums in fresh are not As beneficial for plants as they are marine corals.

I'd run uv all day before ever doing ozone. Especially in fresh.

ozone gas, which is directly dissolved in the water, is very poisonous for fish, invertebrates, and humans. be certain you are adding just the right amount into a contact column and the water is filtered before reaching the main aquarium—activated carbon is effective for filtering like you said. I would just run Purigan and a UV sterilizer before freshwater ozone.

Most manufacturers generally suggest adding 0.3 to 0.5 mg of ozone per gallon of water per hour, but I have foundhalf that much is sufficient to keep the bacterial concentration in the aquarium very low and oxidize all the organic matter without hampering the power of the biological filter. The problem is that if excess ozone does enter the aquarium, inverts will die first, followed by fish.

One interesting benefit of adding ozone is that ammonia is immediately transformed into nitrate, which is obviously a desirable outcome.

Please let me know your ozone eperience as you go. How domyou dose flourish? Do you use excel or just flourish? Any other ferts such as iron? I can't imagine you have high nitrates with the Purigan. Have you considered nitrogen dosing?

Edit: I really like your tank! How do you like those T8s? If you decide on injecting CO2 I'd consider a T5 fixture or some more supplemental light. With more available plant energy you'll need more energy in the form of light as well.
    Last edited by James`; 12-27-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

Thanks for the comments I'm pressently just using flourish. I will be looking at upgrading to 2 x 5ft T5's and 2 x 3ft T5's on lids or may remove the flourecent tubes totally and go for LED yes the LED cost more but they last longer and more you can do with them.

With regards to CO2 altering the PH I had researched that and there for will be getting a system like this

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co....et-p-3177.html

That has a controller and will monitor and adjust accordingly I have already invested a lot of time and money into my setup so would sooner not go for a cheap system where it leaves the chance of a tank wipeout due to an error I make or a cheap kit going wrong. I'm a firm believer in if you buy cheap you buy twice so would sooner get a good setup to start with.

I will keep you updated how the use of ozone goes once it's all up and running

:)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by afro123 View Post
    Great tank :)
    I would up the numbers of your panda and swarz cory to 5 each if you can
    I have to bear in mind the clown loach are going to get considerable better and there is a chance the cories can get injured accidently by the clown loach when it's dinner time that is something I had been considering upping there numbers but I don't want it being detrimental to them a year or so down the line when the clowns are bigger as 10 of them banging around at feeding is a sight to watch.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need this! - talldutchie   Have another Clown - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
    I'm pressently just using flourish.
    Consider promoting the ferrous state of iron for better growth rates. Water colum ferts are very important for stem plants. They especially require nitrogen to grow new leafs.

I will be looking at upgrading to 2 x 5ft T5's and 2 x 3ft T5's on lids or may remove the flourecent tubes totally and go for LED yes the LED cost more but they last longer and more you can do with them.
    HOT5 in cojunction with LED is going to be the best available plant spectrum. Led have a hard time displaying The red spectrum responsable for photosynthesis across the whole tank. I wouldn't reccomend many LED other than ATI or Kessil for growth.. ATI makes great full spectrum bulbs that are top of the market. I use 4 ATI bulbs on my fresh each with different spectrum. Care more about your light spectrum than watts.

With regards to CO2 altering the PH I had researched that and there for will be getting a system like this

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co....et-p-3177.html

That has a controller and will monitor and adjust accordingly.
    You really don't want a controller to inject CO2 overnight with no refugium (even if it's to control pH). Typically the controllers are hooked up to same timer as lights.

If you wanted to spend money on a controller why don't you just get a Apex and get a pH probe.. Seems that that would be a better and more efficient method of monitoring and do more than monitor pH.

So when you start injecting co2, even with the controller, I'd watch for overnight pH changes. If you don't go for the T5 fixture though I don't think you'd have enough growth rate to have to worry about the pH fluctuating. If you keep expanding your system though a refugium will become necessary for stability...

Edit: I don't think that co2 system even has an electric solenoid. You'll find you really want that in your co2 system. Since you already have a high tech tank why don't you get a CO2 reactor with pumps rather than forcing yourself to see those tiny co2 bubbles everywhere from a simple diffuser. Use that sump. I'd opt for a 5lbs tank instead of that 2kg one. Kinda tiny? Try and itemize out your CO2 rather than getting the easy "all in one fully automated" ones they sell for high dollar.. Just my thoughts though. I prefer the dr fosters fully automated co2 system if I was going to go the easy route..
    Last edited by James`; 12-27-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    That CO2 setup looks pretty good.

If you find the diffusion reactor doesn't work that well, there are other reactors that will work perfectly find for a set-up like that
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast