· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading from 20 gallon to 75 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everybody! I've had a 20 gallon high tank for several years with a Fluval/Aquaclear 20 gallon HOB filter and a Fluval/Aquaclear 30 gallon HOB filter. There's CaribSea sand substrate, fake plants and fake logs and caves. For fish I have 4 harlequin rasboras, 3 spotted cory's (Corydoras ambiacus), 2 otto's, and a single electric blue dwarf ram cichlid (who killed his friend but mostly leaves the other fish alone).

I have a new empty 75 gallon tank, 48 inches across, 18 inches back, and 20 inches high. I got a 48 inch Marineland aquarium plant led light with timer (and an extra Marineland single bright led 36 inches I can add if necessary). I also have a fluvial 306 canister filter which I know is only rated for 70 gallons but I'll add one of the HOB filters from the 20 gallon to get the nitrogen cycle started. I haven't put anything in the tank yet.

I want to have a good number of plants and some driftwood in the tank but I've never had plants before and I have a limited budget (also I'm not good at DIY) so I'm planning on getting pool filter sand and then supplementing with root tabs, I don't want to mess with CO2.

Ideally I would take all my fish from the 20 gallon and put them in the 75 with some fish that would get along with them, I'd like as many varieties as possible but very peaceful, I hate to see fish fight. What are some good plants for me to start with and some interesting fish. I was thinking maybe I would eventually get discus but they seem pretty high maintenance and I heard angels can get aggressive, so maybe Bozemani rainbows, or rose line sharks, or rummy nose tetras, black neons, maybe whiptail catfish? Is there another centerpiece fish that would get along with my dwarf ram like a Bolivian ram or should I leave him and some of the others in the 20 gallon, I would like maximum flexibility but definitely want some cory's and some schooling fish. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    looks like you've got a pretty good list of possibilities. Roselines are gorgeous fish - expensive but gorgeous :o) Rainbows would be great in a 75. Congo tetras are gorgeous fish too and would be okay in there. Or you could go all tetra and get 3 nice big schools of rummies, congos and another tetra you find appealing. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas.
    Also looks like you've got a smooth transition plan. Just watch your water parameters closely for a while as you may have a mini cycle as new BB grows to accommodate your fish.
    I'd leave the ram in the 20 since he's already killed another ram.
    Plants: Hornwort is inexpensive and grows quickly. You can plant some in the substrate and let some float if you like. Amazon swords grow nicely as do java ferns - and the good news about the java ferns is they produce lots of little plantlets from their leaves that you can transplant. Hygro is also a great plant and can spread like wildfire.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice! What else do you think might go nicely with the ram in the 20?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    You could up your school of harleys and cories and the 20 would be nicely filled. Cories are more comfortable and active in groups of at least 6 of their own kind. same with the ottos. add some mystery snails and it would look great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somethingfishy101 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! What else do you think might go nicely with the ram in the 20?
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    For a centerpeice fish you could have a Pearl or honey gourami.
    Then Diamond tetras and rummys as your schooling fish
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    A large school of diamonds in a 75 would look great with rummys. I would up your filtration from just the AC20 and Fluval 306.

Use the Fluval 306 and add a very inexpensive, but good SunSun HW302, rated for 75 gal. I have 2 and love them. I got both from this seller -

http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW-302-...A308TXLYHTTMA5
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They didn't have a Gudgeon. Have a Sea Cow - Compass   Have a cory for your future tank! - steeler58   Have another Cory! - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep :) - steeler58   everyone needs one of them - cm12setx   

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't mess with a large school of a slightly larger tetra. I would stick with 2 large smaller schools, but stable school of 6-8 larger schoolers(Diamonds, Congos, or Boesemanis), OR you could get a group of 5 small angels and remove the other 3 until a pair forms. This is a 75 gallon tank here, and that's 4 feet of swimming room here, any more than 10 of a large schooler would make it very difficult for the smaller schooling fish to thrive in a tank this size.

You have room for some kind of fish at the top, such as a pair of Mollies, Swordtails, or even Killifish. I would only get a few hardy fish at the top of this tank rather than another school of small schoolers, just because you're going to have so much action in the middle and mid-top of the tank.

I would go with a stocking around these lines:
    15 Rummynose/Black Neons/Cardinal Tetras
    15 Rummynose/Black Neons/Cardinal Tetras
    6-8 Decently sized schoolers/Angels
    10-12 cories

If you go with the school of 6-8, you have the room for a gourami, and if you go with the angels, they are already your centerpiece fish, because they reach up to 6 inches, sometimes a bit more.

You could probably fit in a small pleco at the bottom of your tank, like a bristlenose, or you could go fancy and get a type of hypancistrus pleco, which are mainly carnivorous and won't really touch your plants. Just make sure whatever pleco you get, you have a decent cave just for it, as well as a shady area for your cories because sometimes they want shade. Some hypancistrus get very pricy, but in return are some of the most stunning fish in the hobby. Just google "hypancistrus pleco" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Java Ferns and Anubias are low maintenance plants. Neons, Rasboras, cories,Rainbows and Discus are good planted tank fish. ottos, Chiclids and Angels are not planted tank fish.
    currently setting up a 125 gallon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post
    Java Ferns and Anubias are low maintenance plants. Neons, Rasboras, cories,Rainbows and Discus are good planted tank fish. ottos, Chiclids and Angels are not planted tank fish.
    Huh?

I may be mistaken, I've never owned discus, but many owners keep them with NO plants because they sometimes have a tendency to uproot plants at will, all day long, for fun almost

If by "ottos" you mean otocinclus catfish, those I DO own, in a thickly planted tank, and they do just fine...they keep the plants nice and clean by grazing upon the algae that grows on them
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I used to have a planted Discus tank years ago and had no problem. Also I have seen many videos of Discus in planted tanks. I maybe mistaken on the Ottos part, but I thought people complain that ottos suck on the leaves. Sorry if I am wrong.
    currently setting up a 125 gallon