· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Unforseen Move with new aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    As a beginner I have loved getting our aquarium up and running the last few months, but sadly something unforeseen has happened.. In 2 months we are moving from Toronto Canada to the West Coast USA for a work opportunity (Yay, but... D'oh!).

I've debated multiple approaches, but all have involved selling our livestock due to the long distance :( Plus potential issues bringing them across border etc.. and same goes for plants I think.

Option 1: Find friend/family that want to start an aquarium :) -- They would be ready to go right off the hop, just need to re-cycle and pick livestock

Option 2: Sell off the aquarium as a bundle or piece by piece -- More hassle for me

Option 3: Look into getting the moving company to ship the aquarium for us. We are noob long distance movers as well, always moved our own stuff.. My understanding is we should be able to get insurance on it and I am sure they have moved more delicate things than an aquarium? We would bag all our rock/driftwood as well.

Unsure of how long we will be at our new destination, but it will be 1-2 years minimum. Doesn't make sense to go through the beginner learning curve and then stop the hobby after an unforeseen move, so we want to set up another tank. Plus.. Fish are so relaxing :)

Would like to hear any thoughts/recommendations from the community, it will help me a lot.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Well... #1 is probably going to feel the best to you.

Alternative is to give away the fish, keep the tank and the filter. Ship the efilter media wet. Fill and add some ammonia when you're add your destination. Good chance you'd be fully cycled again in a week or so.

Of course that's asssuming you got room for the tank at your destination and that you can save the time and energy for the hobby in your new life.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I would personally donate or return livestock and plants just do I wouldn't have to worry with shipping or regulations like you stated.

How long would the tank have to be dormant before you could get it setup again? If it's more than a week I wouldn't worry with trying to save the BB, even if it's longer you could save some by keeping your media wet in a container and feeding it fish flakes or ammonia.

What size is your aquarium?
    29 gallon planted
    125 gallon work in progress

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the feedback!

Definitely will have the time and desire to set up again post move. It is a 45G tank, and the dormant time is unknown for now (Guessing less than a week). Should know within the next month after some cost analysis etc.

I assume we would just bag/elastic the filter media as if it were a bag of new fish? EDIT: I guess a solid container would be best haha

Next hurdle is finding a rental home that will accept aquariums >.< Seems many are against it