· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Thanks so much for the rep!! - Compass   Have another banana, LOL - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7   For your new addition - Boundava   

Default New Tropical Community Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forums. This website looks like it has some really good, helpful information. We are setting up a tropical community tank (20gal) focusing on guppies. The plan, at least for now, is to have neon tetras, kuhli loaches, and guppies in the tank. Currently it does not have any fish but it does have the following:

• A big sunken airplane decoration that is hollow for hiding
    • A cannon bubbler
    • general set up (filter, light, hood, heater, thermometer)
    • background
    • gravel substrate with nutrients for plants
    • 3 live plants (micro-something, onion plant, and hornwort)
    • An anemone decoration that is flexible/can be swum through or moved
    • 4 (that I have seen) snails that survived plant rinsing with tap water

We were told at the local pet store that we cannot siphon the gravel because it will remove the nutrients that the plants need (and then what was the point of buying the plant substrate gravel?), but instead we need a good clean up crew. Well, we already have a few snails so there's a start. We plan on getting 2 or 3 kuhli loaches. My son (who the tank is really for) does not like ghost shrimp. Is there anything that any of you here can suggest for a good guppy tank clean up crew? Or will the loaches and existing snails be enough? (of course we will still be doing water changes, but won't siphon the gravel)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hydrophile; 12-19-2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: I think this is in the wrong section

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Thanks so much for the rep!! - Compass   Have another banana, LOL - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7   For your new addition - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    So, I'm sorry. When I first came here I thought that the "Aquatic Community" section of the forum was the only section and I saw other questions here. =( I can't figure out how to delete this thread or move it myself, so would a moderator please move this to either "Beginner Freshwater" or "Tank Setup" please? >.>
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You have to cycle the tank first.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Also pic please?

Welcome to the AC :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, we actually already started that process 5 days ago. I took a sample of water to the lps 2 days ago and ammonia was a little high but everything else was in line. According to the person I talked to there the ammonia should bee good by Friday or Saturday. I'll take a sample in again for testing before we add fish. They do free water tests there (the liquid kind not the paper ones).

So far I have found a LOT of helpful info here in the forums. I found the loach primer info posted by Dave. I am worried that 6 kuhli loaches will put too much stress on the filter though I imagine that many would do a fine job of catching any leftovers. I have a Marina S20 slim filter that holds 4 cartridges for a 20g tank. I checked out aqadvisor after seeing it referenced here. Unfortunately it doesn't have the Marina brand filters in its filter list. It gave me these results for 5 neon tetras, 6 guppies, and 5 kuhli loaches.
    Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 61%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 31% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 102%

I was planning on doing a 25% water change every week. So as you can see that would have to be more as well. =/

Also... how do I get the poop out if I can't siphon? o.o

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Your cycle wont be completed by friday.
    Please dont follow what fish store employees say as they seldom dont know what they are saying. Please follow the instructions in the cycling sticky
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Thank you for all the plant advice - showmebutterfly   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You can use the vac just above the gravel to clean out the tank - remember - you are the clean up crew :)

The guppies will breed. So be prepared for that

Read up on cycling before buying any fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Picture... for real this time

1 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I failed miserably at posting a photo from my phone =/ Here is the tank.

We are using Nutrafin Cycle with Nutrafin Aqua Plus (It came with the tank set up kit). It says that you can immediately introduce fish after adding it. I really didn't like that idea after reading about new tank syndrome and cycling. That is why we are waiting a week minimum & for the chemicals to balance out. The instructions say to add more of it for 3 consecutive days, which we did, then to dose weekly, when new fish are added, and at water or filter changes. I can't really find anything that says how long the cycling process takes, other than the label which says it's ready immediately. Everything I've read just says to keep testing the water. Do you guys remember how long it to for your tanks to cycle?

We are planning on only adding one fish per week until fully stocked. With weeks possibly being skipped. Since these are all schooling fish should we add two when we first introduce a species to the tank?

@afro That's why I came here. I don't trust them to know everything (although generally this local place is better than Petco or Petsmart which are my other options).

@Triton We aren't getting any females, so that shouldn't be a problem. At the store they keep the males in a separate tank so buying only males should be fairly easy. Thanks for the siphoning info!

I guess maybe I don't know what "clean up crew" really means. A store employee said I would need a good one since I can't siphon the gravel. I took it to mean digging through the gravel eating up little food scraps and algae, so I guess that is what I'm looking for (I don't expect anyone to eat poo in the tank.. ew).

There is so much conflicting information out there.

Also... please call me on it if I'm doing something stupid. I want these fish to thrive.
    Last edited by hydrophile; 12-19-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

4 Not allowed!
    Cute tank! There is definitely a learning curve for beginners and absolutely, a lot of conflicting information. There are 2 links in my signature line that may help you regarding the cycling. If you plan to add fish soon, then you would benefit from reading the link to: cycling with fish. If you hold off on adding fish, then the 'fishless cycle' link will be of help.

To thumbnail it for you: cyling the tank amounts to adding an ammonia source. If you have fish, they will provide the ammonia. If you do it without fish, you add the ammonia. The process then begins. Ammonia will eventually turn to nitrites. Nitrites will turn to nitrAtes. Once that's accomplished your tank is cycled and your fish are safe with weekly water changes of 30 - 50%.
    If there are fish in the tank during this transition from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates, then YOU must make sure that the ammonia and or nitrites don't get higher than .25ppm or it will harm or kill the fish.. You keep those levels down to .25 ppm with water changes. You may have to change the water daily or every other day until this cycle is complete and you only see nitrates. You need a water testing kit to monitor this. We generally suggest API liquid test kit that provides the means for testing ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH.

This process could take 4 weeks to 2 months.
    Hope that info helped and do ask more questions if you have them. More importantly, read those links :o)
    Oh - and if you go with loaches, they should be the LAST fish you introduce to the tank. Bottom dwellers bear the brunt of ammonia and or nitrite poisoning and should only be added after the tank is fully cycled.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp