· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

An extra tetra to hold you over 'til you get more! - Slaphppy7   Another one for your tank - Compass   

Question Need a larger centerpiece fish for my 55.

0 Not allowed!
    Well I "had" a 55 gallon angelfish tank. I say had because I had 5 and got two pairs out of the five. Now I'm just going to re-home the remaining angelfish and start fresh. I'm in search for a larger fish to be the centerpiece fish/fishes. They need to be able to get along with small community fish such as cardinal tetras. I do have a few ideas and you can tell me which you like best or you can suggest another fish. So far Ive been thinking about Rainbow fish Denison barbs and Congo tetras. Its a low tech planted tank if that helps. Thanks in advance for any advise!
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So you've got two pair of angel fish in a 55 gallon tank? Are they matched or mated female\male pairs?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

An extra tetra to hold you over 'til you get more! - Slaphppy7   Another one for your tank - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    I mean mated male/female pairs.
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They didn't have a Gudgeon. Have a Sea Cow - Compass   Have a cory for your future tank! - steeler58   Have another Cory! - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep :) - steeler58   everyone needs one of them - cm12setx   

0 Not allowed!
    Seeing as you have generally small and peaceful fish, and a pretty high(but reasonable and well organized) stocking as well, you can't really add another schooling fish. All of the fish you mentioned do get too large for a 55 gallon at full size, especially with that many other fish. Plus, they are all schooling which would cause your tank to be overstocked.

I would suggest a larger gourami, but you already have honey gouramis.
    All i can really think of that would be reasonable is a pair German blue(or gold but GBRs look better) or a pair of Apistos.
    The Apistos can get very pricy, especially for the fish with more color, and the GBRs die very easily if conditions aren't near perfect for them. Ive failed 2 times with GBRs even when the rest of the fish in the tank were thriving, but I'm not trying to scare you off because they are really stunning and beautiful.
    If you were to go with Apistos, you would need to research for one that would work in your water conditions because some don't tolerate normal freshwater community water conditions.
    Also, both of these fish need their own cave to use as territory once they start mating.

Other suggestions?
    Sailfin mollies or a group of 4 checkerboard barbs would probably work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmax View Post
    I mean mated male/female pairs.
    Two pair of mated female\male angel fish in a 55 gallon tank? That, in itself, is a recipe for disaster for a community tank. One pair of mated angel fish has the potential to kill everything in a community tank when it's time for breeding. I recommend that you that you give some serious thought to your current stocking.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well lets get some things clear. My sig is a separate tank this is a whole different tank. Second of all i know mated pairs are bad thats why I re-homed both pairs. All I have in the tank is an angelfish which I plan to re-home. So this is a basically empty tank. Also on all the care sheets Ive read denison barbs congos and rainbows particularly dwarf neon rainbows all can live in a 55 48 inch tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    OK. So your initial post was a bit unclear when you said you got 2 pairs and were rehoming the remaining angel. Read like you were keeping the pairs and rehoming fish #5. So now we understand, you have a 55g tank just itching for new occupants.

If you wanted to keep that one angel (love them), you could work around that. A large school of rummy nose would work with the angel, along with a good size school of cories.

I haven't had any of the other fish you mentioned but I love the look of the congo tetra. Another tetra I do have that I've recently fallen in love with is the Diamond tetra - just gorgeous in a large group.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking about rainbows-even bought 12 of them only to have them die off day by day until I had 3 (now 2) left. Problem with many rainbows (from what I read) is that their lifespan is about 1 year. I guess the adults I had all died, and the 3 I would up with (the much smaller ones) were the juvi's. I still have 2 in my school of tetras, they are having fun dithering about-but at their cost it isn't something I will try again.

I have a shoal of bloodfin tetras and will tell you that I wish I would have purchase more of them than the rummy school. For some reason I was loosing a rummy a day at first. I haven't lost one bloodfin and they are so cute and as busy-if not more so than the rummy's. As my rummys go I will definitely get more bloodfins.

here a photo (not of mine)
    Picture1.png

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    O sueD Diamond tetras bring back memories. I haven't had them for about 7 years or so. The problem with me is its not uncommon for my tanks to have 3 species in them because I love to looks of large groups of fish. If go with diamonds I'm going to have to get at least 15 to 20. I think I'll start taking trips to all my LFS and see what in.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They didn't have a Gudgeon. Have a Sea Cow - Compass   Have a cory for your future tank! - steeler58   Have another Cory! - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep :) - steeler58   everyone needs one of them - cm12setx   

1 Not allowed!
    The rainbows, like I said, get large for a 55, and it would be better to stick to a smaller species that doesn't reach more than 3". Mine are already almost too large and I am rehoming them in the next 8-10 months. The dwarf neon, threadfin, and celebes are all good options.
    Congos get very large if properly cared for, a size that a school of 10+ would be best suited to a 5 foot or more tank, but if they were the only swimming fish in your 55 gallon, they would do much better than being with. Like someone mentioned already, Diamond tetras are a great option.
    Denison barbs are the most unreasonable for a 55 gallon out of the 3, again speaking in long term. I've have one that I've had for 3 years now and it's literally 5 inches, and they are active fish. There are plenty of barbs appropriate for a 55 gallon, though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast