· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

An extra tetra to hold you over 'til you get more! - Slaphppy7   Another one for your tank - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Well I trust the advise from people on this forum so if you say its not a good idea I won't do it. Although I'm thinking of stocking this. 6 Congos 10 rummynose 10 black neon tetras 10 corydoras. This video has just made me fall in love with congos...
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmax View Post
    Well I trust the advise from people on this forum so if you say its not a good idea I won't do it. Although I'm thinking of stocking this. 6 Congos 10 rummynose 10 black neon tetras 10 corydoras.
    Now this is a start to a good stocking plan. Pearl gourami are another fish you might want to consider.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice. I've had the black neons too and I like them, but did not have good luck with the stock I got. Down to 2 left out of 7. But that might just be that they came from PetCo. The Congos will be the stars of that tank. Any chance you could squeeze in a couple more than 6 - even one more? (I like odd numbers, myself) I know they get to a good size, but they are so pretty.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post
    The rainbows, like I said, get large for a 55, and it would be better to stick to a smaller species that doesn't reach more than 3". Mine are already almost too large and I am rehoming them in the next 8-10 months. The dwarf neon, threadfin, and celebes are all good options.
    Congos get very large if properly cared for, a size that a school of 10+ would be best suited to a 5 foot or more tank, but if they were the only swimming fish in your 55 gallon, they would do much better than being with. Like someone mentioned already, Diamond tetras are a great option.
    Denison barbs are the most unreasonable for a 55 gallon out of the 3, again speaking in long term. I've have one that I've had for 3 years now and it's literally 5 inches, and they are active fish. There are plenty of barbs appropriate for a 55 gallon, though.

That would depend on what rainbows. Many rainbows will stay 1-2" like the threadfins, blue eyes, neon rainbows and forktails. Other varieties can get quite large to be in the correct numbers for a 55 gallon tank.

I find many barbs to be too aggressive for other fish-so if you are going for a tankful of barbs make sure they can hold their own. The exception I have come across are the cherry barbs and gold barbs-both of which you can have in a 55 gallon tanks as they are comfortable in schools of at least 6. The cherry's will stay small (2 maybe 3") the golds get a little bigger (3-5"). I have had both with corys, tetras and a betta in a 55 gallon tank with no issues.

The congos are gorgeous but I think I read they are lower pH and favor pristine water conditions-so I chose Diamonds instead.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I kept 1 angel with smaller fish in a 55 gallon and all was well. But all angels are not equal in dispositions. I've also had angels that would kill small fish in a heartbeat. If you want to keep larger fish with smaller fish, make sure you have lots of places for the smaller fish to hide. No tank needs a "center piece" fish. Large schools make for a nice centerpiece all by itself and the smaller ones won't be hiding all the time in fear of the big one.

In regard to rainbows, there's no reason they can not have a lifespan as long as others. They do like cooler water, LOTS of swimming room and to be in large schools. I agree with Faded when he said a 55 gallon is actually pretty small for rainbows.......other than the neon's. It's not because they don't fit but because they like that large school and are very fast swimmers.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

An extra tetra to hold you over 'til you get more! - Slaphppy7   Another one for your tank - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree to the fact schooling fish can make a great center piece but thats what I did with my other 55. Also Boundava I have found through my research that congos are hardy if their going into an established tank. They do need some time to adjust before they stop hiding but once they do they come to the front of the tank.
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't do the congos, the diamonds are a great alternative. I have 12 in my 29 gal and they are super. You could do a large school of 20, with 10 rummys and 10 sterbai cories. Remember, the diamonds and rummys like a bit warmer water, 76-80 deg and the sterbais can handle that.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Lets say I went for more smaller fish and wanted a pearl gourami. Should I get one or could I get more?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think you could do 5 or 6 pearl gourami in a 55. Just get them as juveniles and that way you don't need to worry about sexing them. If they mature together they should be fine. Not saying you have to get that many but more than one would be just fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    if not pearls honey gouramis are a great alternative,they are also said to be the most peaceful of gouramis
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast