· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the site! - Plecos   

Exclamation Important! Read!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone!! First off, I'd like to say my fish are doing very well, they've all grown and are eating heartily as ever, and the baby piranha is doing well, I still haven't seen any signs of aggression, even though he's gotten quite bigger and is getting his red belly!! However, what I have been noticing is a very intelligent behavior in my blood parrot, Julius; and that is he plays with other fish!! I decided to write a scientific as well as a more "philosophical" report on fish intelligence and get it published. I already have a few experiments in mind to test Julius's intelligence and see what he can do in a more controlled, methodical fashion, as well as writing down the little anecdotes of his play. I want to know about YOUR experiences with fish, and suggestions of their intelligence! Some studies have shown that aspects of certain fish species intelligence have rivaled that of even primates! I want to know what YOU think on the topic, and behaviors you have sen in your fish!! Also, any thoughts on methods of experimentation that I can use to prove things such as memory, ability to make connections, tool use, and other aspects of intelligence. THIS WILL MEAN A LOT NOT ONLY TO ME< BUT TO THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY AS WELL! Imagine, if I, if we can scientifically document the intelligence of fish, and get it published, imagine what that could mean for not only fish, but us as humans. The "leap from ape to man" and the "huge" gap in intelligence might not be so huge after all. This could bring us closer to our animal brethren, and discourage massive overfishing detrimental to the environment and us. THANK YOU FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN DO!!
    Work hard and have fun

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like an interesting project.
    I used to have 3 blood parrots. More than once i saw the largest (she was the tank boss) intercede by swimming between my gold sev and my electric blue Jack Dempsey when the sev was harassing the EBJD. There was no doubt in my mind that she was warning the sev to knock it off by backing him into a corner and keeping him there for a while. It was quite something.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

1 Not allowed!
    It is wel known that cichlids among other are smart and enjoy a number of games. The problem is that it hard to test their IQ in a good way.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    This is interesting, hope you get some good feed back. I for one have not kept any fish I would deem "smart." Well not in the sense you are going for. No behavior outside the norm for that species I guess.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a very interesting project!

Here are some articles you can read to get started and perhaps get ideas on how to measure these things:

Social Learning, Innovation, and Intelligence in Fish
    Fish cognition: a primate's eye view
    Fish intelligence, sentience and ethics

And finally, this books sounds like it could provide tons of background material and ideas -- maybe your local library can get a copy for you?

Fish Cognition and Behavior

Please keep us posted!