· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for the rep - mommy1   You need some of these. - mommy1   One more for your AC tank. - mommy1   You are an amazing young man!  Keep up the good work. - mommy1   Bravo! - Rue   

Unhappy RIP Red Bandit :(

0 Not allowed!
    So i had this red betta and i named him the red bandit. He has always been a little lethargic but last night he died :(. I had only had him for a few months, but i think he was sick when i got him.
    When you have a 12-inch bowl and a fish that gets up to 15 inches, it's obviously not going to fit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

5 Not allowed!
    So sorry about your betta. More and more I think that the ones we buy in our local stores are not of the best quality. We lost 3 in a row and I had decided I wasn't going to get another. Ever.
    But I now have a beautiful crown tail in the tank. I decided that every betta I buy, no matter how long it lives, has a better life than it would have had.
    So .. don't be afraid to get another one. You're doing a good thing
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for the rep - mommy1   You need some of these. - mommy1   One more for your AC tank. - mommy1   You are an amazing young man!  Keep up the good work. - mommy1   Bravo! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    So sorry about your betta. More and more I think that the ones we buy in our local stores are not of the best quality. We lost 3 in a row and I had decided I wasn't going to get another. Ever.
    But I now have a beautiful crown tail in the tank. I decided that every betta I buy, no matter how long it lives, has a better life than it would have had.
    So .. don't be afraid to get another one. You're doing a good thing
    I will probably get another after i have my 3 small tanks rearranged. I have 3 2.5 gallon tanks and i am planningon upgrading them to 10 gallon tanks. After i have upgraded i will probably get another betta. I currently have 2 bettas in the other 2 tanks.
    When you have a 12-inch bowl and a fish that gets up to 15 inches, it's obviously not going to fit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss, I agree with fishmommie-we may have them days, months or years-but that time is so much better than sitting in a pathetic plastic cup on the self of a pets store waiting for any care and hoping for a home.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about your fish! :(
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    I was in PetCo the other day. It was sickening to see those tiny plastic betta cups stacked one on top of another, with a poor lethargic little fish in each of them. There was even an empty cup. Hopefully, that fish went to a nice home and is being well cared for, and they just forgot to empty that cup. I hope they don't cram a new betta into that dirty old water the last one was in! Those people haven't a clue about the right thing to do -- they're just answerable to some distant suits in a huge corporation concerned only with profits and little else.

Seeing that kind of thing in a place like PetCo is understandable, though deplorable. Seeing it in an LFS where the staff should know better is another matter. I've even seen bettas sold that way in LFS! At least put them out into small aquariums with partitions in them so they can't fight each other -- even that would be better than a dinky plastic cup. At least the water would be filtered and oxygenated.

Space is limited even in those places, so I guess they have to go tiny and stack vertically to make it work. What happens to the ones they don't sell?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    I was in PetCo the other day. It was sickening to see those tiny plastic betta cups stacked one on top of another, with a poor lethargic little fish in each of them. There was even an empty cup. Hopefully, that fish went to a nice home and is being well cared for, and they just forgot to empty that cup. I hope they don't cram a new betta into that dirty old water the last one was in! Those people haven't a clue about the right thing to do -- they're just answerable to some distant suits in a huge corporation concerned only with profits and little else.

Seeing that kind of thing in a place like PetCo is understandable, though deplorable. Seeing it in an LFS where the staff should know better is another matter. I've even seen bettas sold that way in LFS! At least put them out into small aquariums with partitions in them so they can't fight each other -- even that would be better than a dinky plastic cup. At least the water would be filtered and oxygenated.

Space is limited even in those places, so I guess they have to go tiny and stack vertically to make it work. What happens to the ones they don't sell?
    I do not really like my local store because they are worse than the chain store. They keep the betts in small disposable drink cups, they sell brown recluses, they never clean their tanks, there are at least 8 dead fish in every tank and the employees called me stupid for having my goldfish in a 55 gallon tank. They said that i was stupid because "goldfish are bowl fish". I am never going to that store again. I got my betta that died at petsmart not this crappy local store.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    Is it even legal to sell brown recluses? I assume you're referring to the spider? Dangerous and highly toxic for some people, if bitten.

Have you spoken to the manager or owner of that store about their rude employees? Or is he or she just as obnoxious as they are? If I owned an LFS, there's no way any of my employees would be calling any customer "stupid"! Wonder how long they'll stay in business?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Is it even legal to sell brown recluses? I assume you're referring to the spider? Dangerous and highly toxic for some people, if bitten.

Have you spoken to the manager or owner of that store about their rude employees? Or is he or she just as obnoxious as they are? If I owned an LFS, there's no way any of my employees would be calling any customer "stupid"! Wonder how long they'll stay in business?
    It is illegal to sell brown recluses. The manager is never there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, bad LFS. I have gone to PetCo many times and an always saddened at the half dead bettas in their "blueish" water. When I see the manager I always make it a point to say something like "You have a lot of bettas that look like they are dying, maybe they need a water change?" and she always says "well they do that at night, but I'll have someone look at it" Whether they do or not I don't know, but I would hope they do. I have told them many times (when I go in for cat litter) that they have ich in their tanks, at that point it is rampant and you can see it 5 feet away. When I go back they have their little "fish under observation" sign up. I won't buy fish there anymore-unless a gorgeous betta that I have named already. You can't walk away when you name them, they have a home in you heart then!