· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Leopard Shrimp?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Leopard Shrimp?

0 Not allowed!
    So, I just heard from my LFS. They have, in the past, gotten "Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp" for me, which I assume to be another name for Amano shrimp--they look the same. Those things were on the black beard like kindergarteners on cupcakes. Unfortunately, they all died and/or escaped from my tank. I have since taken measures to ensure that future shrimp will stay put.

But it was too good to last: now my LFS says they are no longer able to get Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp. Grrrrr Just when I find a good thing. Instead, they said their supplier has replaced them with something called "leopard shrimp." I have no idea what these are, and can't find any info about them online. There are a couple of *very* cool looking pics in an old aquabid add, but that's all she wrote.

Anybody know anything about these? Latin name? Size? Eating habits? Difficulty of keeping? Hardiness?

Help!
    Tom

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    So, I just heard from my LFS. They have, in the past, gotten "Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp" for me, which I assume to be another name for Amano shrimp--they look the same. Those things were on the black beard like kindergarteners on cupcakes. Unfortunately, they all died and/or escaped from my tank. I have since taken measures to ensure that future shrimp will stay put.

But it was too good to last: now my LFS says they are no longer able to get Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp. Grrrrr Just when I find a good thing. Instead, they said their supplier has replaced them with something called "leopard shrimp." I have no idea what these are, and can't find any info about them online. There are a couple of *very* cool looking pics in an old aquabid add, but that's all she wrote.

Anybody know anything about these? Latin name? Size? Eating habits? Difficulty of keeping? Hardiness?

Help!
    Tom
    Found latin name but nothing else really;

caridina rubropunctata

Places I saw speculated they were related to tiger shrimp, if that is the case they would be smaller than the amano-and maybe not as voracious at eating algae. Oh and they were originally found in a pool in Vietnam?
    Last edited by Boundava; 12-10-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    I keep bumping into the Latin name Caridina rubropunctata; an image search turns up some cool pics. I am definitely going to try a few of these if they aren't too expensive. Hopefully they like BBA as much as amanos. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to keep reposting on my own thread. This says they are similar in needs to, and a bit bigger than, Cantonensis. Guess I'm just going to have to get a few and find out...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Just make sure that is what you are actually getting and that they're not trying to stick you with some kind of macrobrachium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Found latin name but nothing else really;

caridina rubropunctata

Places I saw speculated they were related to tiger shrimp, if that is the case they would be smaller than the amano-and maybe not as voracious at eating algae. Oh and they were originally found in a pool in Vietnam?
    Yes, I found that too. But that's about it. Didn't see your post before I posted again. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Just make sure that is what you are actually getting and that they're not trying to stick you with some kind of macrobrachium.
    I wouldn't know a macrobrachium if it pinched me on the backside, so I guess I'm at their mercy. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes you would. You've been in the hobby long enough that you've developed an eye for small details in the livestock.

If I tell you that the key difference is arms/pinchers then you can quite easily see the difference.

Macrobrachium (female)

A young male of another species;

Now compare that to the species you want:

The key difference is in the pinchers/arms as you can see. On caridina species these are very small and only useable to pick at dead things or pick up tiny pieces of food. On the macrobrachium species these are developed enough to suit a more predatory livestyle.

Hope this helps!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Yes you would. You've been in the hobby long enough that you've developed an eye for small details in the livestock.

If I tell you that the key difference is arms/pinchers then you can quite easily see the difference.

Macrobrachium (female)
    http://www.petshrimp.com/images/macr...inumfemale.jpg

A young male of another species;
    http://www.mdfrc.org.au/bugguide/ima...nbergigero.jpg

Now compare that to the species you want:

http://www.mk-zoo.cz/fotky12297/foto...punctata-1.jpg

The key difference is in the pinchers/arms as you can see. On caridina species these are very small and only useable to pick at dead things or pick up tiny pieces of food. On the macrobrachium species these are developed enough to suit a more predatory livestyle.

Hope this helps!
    Wow, that is very cool, thank you for the information!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, indeed, Dutchie, much appreciated. I went and had a look at them. Pretty little critters, with the emphasis on "little." I think they would make great red tail shark food. :) I think I'll hold out for amanos.

Tom