· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default *curses* Columnaris?

0 Not allowed!
    So things have been pretty tame in my aquarium lately. No one is chasing anyone down and causing injuries, no new fishes... my Congo tetras are getting even bigger and looking lovely..

I got some new plants and another piece of driftwood a few weeks ago. (3-4 weeks)

about 2 weeks ago I noticed 2 neon tetras looked like they had some fungus going on. Well, crap. Was hoping I had caught it early enough.

I was treating with just melafix and frequent WCs. It wasn't really getting better, but it wasn't getting any worse. suddenly a growth that I had thought was more fungus started to appear of some of the driftwood. Drat... looked it up and it seemed like it was nbd.. a situation that would naturally solve itself with time.. even though my aquarium has been going for about 2.5 years now. (and no, this is not my 1st aquarium.)

Continued with WCs and melafix. Had a neon disappear. Was assumed dead, but couldn't find it for a few days. Realized my HOB Aquaclear filter was performing sub-par. Found the dead tetra floating at the top completely surrounded by a cloud of what I thought was more fungus. Removed and did a big WC, cleaned the filter, including the motor. Things seemed okay. The other two neons still had fungus, but were eating and active. Thought it was kind of weird that of all the fish in my tank, the neons would get fungus. Everyone else seemed fine, but appetites for some were reduced. No other symptoms.

A few days later my filter became quite loud and the water seemed a lil cloudy. The filter output seemed weak. There was more fungal growth spreading across different pieces of driftwood. Cleaned the tank again, as well as taking the time to do a more thorough job cleaning every single aspect of the filter. Reassembled the now super clean filter, feeling satisfied on a job well done, only to find that the filter was even LOUDER than before, and the output was a joke. Was hoping to not have to buy a new filter though, so tried to tough things out with WC & melafix. About 2-3 days of this lead to a suddenly EXTREMELY CLOUDY tank (bacterial bloom, I would suppose) and my poor fishes, even the clown loaches, staying near the top, trying to just breathe. Did an immediate WC and decided enough was enough, time to order a new filter, complications of ordering just a motor or filling a claim with the company under the warranty. I did not want anyone to die! Ordered same filter (I already have the right sized replacement mediums for it and such, didnt want to waste them) with same day delivery through Amazon, as I had a field trip with my Marine Bio class I had to attend that day. Amazon FAILED, big time. I woke up the next morning to the cloudiest aquarium I have possibly ever seen, and again, my poor fishes all up at the top, stressed and struggling. Cancelled my still nowhere in sight order with amazon and got a friend to drive me to petsmart asap to purchase a new filter.

Got home, did a massive 50% WC, found the other 2 affected neons dead, and set up the new filter. The fishes already seemed less stressed. Let the filter start doing it's job. Later in the day, things seemed pretty good, but still a lil cloudy. I decided to do another, smaller WC before going to sleep as I had to go into work the next day and would be gone for over 12 hours. Day's total: 66% WC. Remarkably happier fishes.

The next morning things seemed well. Everyone seemed more normal and the water did not regress to a super cloudy state again. However, there was still all of that white fuzz growing on the driftwood... went to work. Got home late and all the fishes still seemed happy and hungry, but I noticed that my beloved Rainbow Shark had some white fuzz on his barbels, and a pretty small patch just behind his operculum on the right side. Bristlenose Pleco seemed to have a light amount of it as well, on his dorsal side, just behind the head. CRAP. My big guys are getting it now???? Meanwhile the water finally looked crystal clear.

Did another WC brushing some of the white fuzz off the driftwood and finally added salt. The fungus growth on the wood is still there on some places, but over all things look a LOT better. It looked like my DW had frost. and even some of the plants and their roots had fuzz lining them. Not anymore! But I kinda freaked out about Rainbow Shark and ordered a bunch of stuff that is supposed to help fungus. More melafix, some pimafix, cattapa leaves. they arrived the next day (today) and I did another massive WC, 66% again. Added a little salt again. Rainbow Shark looks a little better. The fuzz seems to be gone from his barbels, at least. The tiny patch is still there, though. Couldn't get a good enough look at my BNpleco yet, tho. added stress coat and decided to let things filter and cycle like normal, until I got home from my class tonite.

Things looked good, so I went ahead and removed the carbon from the filter, and I added the prescribed amounts of melafix and pimafix. prepped and added the cattapa leaves. Went upstairs to watch some old school Sailor Moon S bootlegs and then went back down to my room when we decided enough for the night. Noticed my cardinals were almost completely lacking their red colour. (the two remaining neons that school with them seemed perfectly fine, however.) Did a little online research and didn't find anything about cardinals or any of my fishes normally having reactions to the pimafix, (as the label said, safe for all types of fish - which is why I chose it.) But decided to add the carbon back to the filter asap.

When I was reading up on adverse reactions to pimafix, I came across some information about Columnaris which made me think that perhaps it is possible that that is what is going on in my tank!! Which of course now has me extremely stressed out and worried about my fishes. I read this: http://www.fish-as-pets.com/2008/12/...inth-fish.html which lead me to doing a search on Columnaris.

Which lead me to read a few other things, and this: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/column...d...-1689.html

It is late. I will try to take pictures of the places that my driftwood is still fuzzy, tomorrow, as well as of Rainbow Shark and BNpleco.

In the meantime.. anyone have any advice or oppinions, based upon what I have described???

Does anyone have experience treating columnaris with hydrogen peroxide?? It seems like quite the undertaking, but also one of the more realistic ones that I have access to... Share your experiences???

Thank you!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, when I vacuum the water out into buckets, it smells rotten.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    If it is columnaris, you need to drop the temperature of the tank to below 75F. Add salt at a ratio of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons or higher. The next thing is get gram negative bacteria medication. For ph above 7.5 , Seachem KanaPlex or Triple Sulfa is more effective. For a ph below 7.5, Furan-2 or equivalent is more effective. You can actually combine Kanaplex and Furan-2 if the tank PH is close to 7.5.

If the water smells rotten, there is really something wrong with the aquarium. It should smell like wet dirt or wet wood. When was the last time you tested ammonia and nitrites? Do another large water change before you treat the tank with hydrogen peroxide.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Up so late last night, I accidentally slept too late! So checking water params will have to wait til tonite. Couldn't get a pic of Rainbow Shark, he is rather camera shy. But now the spot is actually right along his gill slit. I did get some pics of the driftwood where the fuzz still is..

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    image.jpg

image.jpg

hoping attaching these pics work...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    okay, it may appear a lil differently because I'm on an ipad, but for me, you have to click on the pics to see the whole thing and really get a look at the fuzz. Thanks, everyone!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    p.s. pH is *usually* around 7ish or lower

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, Cardinals are now looking/acting normal again. Yay carbon filter!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    That just looks like plain old hair algae to me...

Did you list your water params above?...if so, I missed them (besides the ph)
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra! - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Stinky water is not always a sign of bad water condition.
    And agree with Slappy with hair algae. Either that or something much minor I think. Is it much furrier and whiter in person then the pictures?

And Carbon Filter, when you are using medications, remove it. Or it will remove the medication as fast as the pump can pump the tank through the filter system. Which in many cases is too short for the medication to have any effect.
    Last edited by Skullz; 11-26-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    10G Planted - Ren's Little Palace (Butterfly Betta) and Pond Snails.
    30G Planted - 1 Angel, 1 Whiptail Catfish, 2 Bristlenose Catfish, 6 Assassin Snails, 7 Kerri, 8 Diamonds, 16 Lemons, Pond Snails.
    Water Wisteria, Java Fern, Anubias Nana and Vallisneria.
    3.6G - Sitting with water ready for something.

1 Russian Dwarf Hamster - Hathor
    1 Syrian Hamster - Danny