· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Angles doing curious things. Any explanations?

0 Not allowed!
    So I currently have 4 angelfish in a 75 gallon aquarium. Last night my younger female laid eggs on a leaf and my large male fertilized them. But then shortly after he plucked them all off the leaf. He also is chasing the younger female away from the sight an nipping at her when she tries to lay more. Also I thought angle fish were monogamous. The large male has paired with my large female. Any ideas why the younger female would lay the eggs if he is the only male and is paired?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Cichlids are only monogamous for a short period of time. Males will go to females that are ready breed and females will reject males of the same species for larger males of a different species.

The Male ate the eggs because he got a better offer from the larger female. I guess in his eyes, larger female, means more robust fry.

0 Not allowed!
    i figured that was why he plucked them from the leaf, i just dont get why he would fertizize them, then turn around and pluck them within 5 minutes. especially since only the small female was laying eggs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    It's probably just timing. With the smaller female laying eggs, the larger female probably had had hormonal trigger happen inside her that indicate to the male that she was ready to breed. The male "sensed it" and discarded the eggs that were fertilized since that was an ideal area to lay eggs.

It's not unusual for a female cichlid to lay eggs and "trigger" other females to breed or lay eggs days later.

In the future, maybe setup a similar spot on opposite side of the tank, and maybe you get to keep fry from both females.