· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: My New Betta!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome! - Fishhook   Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   A betta to celebrate... - Slaphppy7   

Default My New Betta!

2 Not allowed!
    After changing the positioning of my driftwood, my harlequins started to only swim in the middle of the tank, which I couldn't understand. I then decided that I wanted a fish for the top of my tank.

I thought about hatchet fish but didn't want to get a bunch of them so I decided on a Betta. I knew nothing about them except that they were "fighting fish" but did all my research and thought it was a good idea since the fish I have in my tank are quite peaceful and don't nip.

I was at the store and fell in love with this one, it looked so feathery and cute. I was only concerned that it might have a problem with my apisto since it looks similar. But I watched them all closely and they're all getting along fine. The funniest thing is that he's nervous around the cories because they're so carefree and swim around carelessly. I named him Alpha the Betta.

The day I got him, had to keep him in a temporary jar until I got him to the tank. He was in a much smaller container at the store.

day 1 full.JPG

In his new home

photo 1(1).jpg

image.jpg
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 12 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Cockatoo Apisto, 1 Crowntail Betta, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 BN Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my he is just beautiful! Love his color, I have found that their color changes when you get them home. I think because they are so stressed at the store in those little bowls.

This is the first time in a while that I have a tank that does not have a betta. In my 55 I had a King Male and a splendis female, they were the best of friends and would sleep in the same plant or floating log together. I guess the Kings have a short life and he dies after 3 years, she died a month later...I think she missed him.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking betta! Love seeing them in a proper aquarium as opposed to the little containers.

Could you show some pictures with the other fish and the betta showing as well? We're setting up our first aquarium and thought about putting a betta in the community :) Possible aggression and the chance of having to give him a new tank put us off the idea thus far.
    Last edited by Blizzy_206; 11-21-2014 at 05:06 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome! - Fishhook   Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   A betta to celebrate... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks you! I'll take a pic as soon as I get a chance. What I noticed so far is that there's no aggression in general. The only thing is that he claimed the top right side of the tank since he enjoys that space. So once in awhile when another fish hangs out too long there, he will flare his gills and shoos them away from that area.

The apisto and the diamond tetras get shooed away when they're there. He leaves the cories and harlequins alone.

What type of fish do you think you'll have in there with him?
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 12 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Cockatoo Apisto, 1 Crowntail Betta, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 BN Pleco