· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to wait until tomorrow afternoon... hopefully someone can give me advice by then, so I know what to look for.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Go with a saltwater specific substrate. Argonite or crush coral. You can also use sand, I believe Pool Filter Sand would work in this instance. It is cheap and effective. Do not use anything that is for a planted tank. Laterite would be out. Vermiculite I don't think would even work in a tank. First time you put water in it the whole substrate would float to the top of the tank. lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I would suggest just sticking to a made for marine aquariums. Other substrates will leach out minerals that can cause difficulties with both marine and brackish water parameters.

Marine based substrates will help to maintain the correct calcium and alkalinity levels (through the minerals that will be leached out) which will help you maintain your pH a lot more stable and help you avoid problems with certain types of algaes
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I have high pH / hard water, so I went with the pool filter sand. Argonite or crushed coral could raise your pH. If your water has a low pH, I recommend those. If your water has high pH, I recommend sand.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for your help. The water here has a pretty low pH so I I'm going with the aragonite or crushed coral.
    I would also like to know what the effects would be on the water quality and pH if I mixed aragonite/coral with sand or put a layer of sand on top of the aragonite/coral... I can imagine putting a layer of sand on top would stop the aragonite/coral from bringing up the pH as much as it normally would... but that's just a guess.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also curious about what would be safest and easiest to keep clean.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Over time the sand will mix with the other substrate. I think it would be difficult to have the sand stay on top.
    To me the aragonite looks like sand and coral mixed together - sort of the best of both worlds.
    I don't have a guess as to which would be easiest to keep clean. Hopefully Cliff can help with that question.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    After doing some more research, I've decided to go with aragonite on it's own and thanks for pointing out those things :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good! I'm excited to watch your build. :)