· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inlovewithtrust View Post
    I don't think that him washing the sponge could of harmed it as washing it is the normal cleaning pattern ice been using, the sponge is held under the kitchen tap until the slinky stuff and colour is gone (the sponge is empty).
    Ok. A few thoughts:

- Washing your sponge under tap water is DEFINITELY cause for problems. Since you haven't read the cycling sticky, here is a crash course on the nitrogen cycle: all fish produce ammonia as waste. Ammonia is highly toxic to fish, so you need a way to quickly get rid of it. This is done by colonies of bacteria in your tank, which turn the ammonia into nitrites (also toxic) and then other bacteria turn the nitrite into nitrate (less toxic). You get rid of nitrates through water changes (siphoning some water out, and replacing it with new, nitrate-free water). It takes about a month for these beneficial bacteria to become established. Since you've had the tank for 8 months, they were definitely already there. They tend to live in your filter (specially in your sponge) and in your substrate. These bacteria, however are killed by chlorine and chloramines, which are in your tap water -- this is the reason you need to add a dechlorinating conditioner to your tap water before adding the water to your tank.

Washing your sponge in chlorinated tap water certainly gets rid of a big chunk of your beneficial bacteria. Up until now maybe you haven't had problems because perhaps the bacteria remaining in your substrate might have been able to take up the load, but it sounds like this time something bigger happened. Maybe your BF forgot to condition the water he added to the tank (thus killing all the bacteria), or perhaps he also washed the substrate, or any one of many other possible scenarios. In any case, it does sound as if your nitrogen cycle was disrupted in some way.

To confirm this you need to test your water. If you find ammonia or nitrites at levels above 0.25 ppm, your cycle is certainly disrupted (in a well cycled tank, both of these should be at zero). If this is the case, quickly read and learn the sticky on cycling with fish, which you can find here. You can still maintain your fish healthy while your bacteria colony grows again by doing daily water changes -- just follow the sticky.

And yes, I will also reinforce the need for a water testing kit. Get a liquid test kit, not one of those paper strip kits. Liquid kits might be more expensive, but they are much more accurate. Many here use the API fresh water master test kit, which measures ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH -- all the basics you need.

EDIT: Slap beat me to it, and said it MUCH more concisely.. this is what I get for talking so much LOL

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    +10 to the above, good explanation
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all,
    I did what was recommended in the cleaning methods, cycling is a very interesting topic from what yous have said. I'm surprised the lady at the pet shop didn't say anything...
    I do live in the Broome, we don't get 'winter' we only get wet and dry season. It is always hot in Broome. Accordinimage.jpgg to The BOM website our lowest temp was 14, in July.
    We are currently in our hottest months so I don't think the heat could be affected now, but I will look into a heater. And am currently looking online for a liquid tester.

I can not remember the brand of the conditioner
    The filter is a TC 1000 Aquacare brand...
    The food I feed my fish is frozen blood worms and recently frozen shrimp, I also have small balls for them, like the pellets.

My fish are, zebra fish (danios), platys, tetras, black knife fish (now separated) and sucky fish

I cleaned the tank yesterday, properly according to advice given, so was nervous how my fishies would react, so been watching them carefully...,
    Today I noticed one of my two need tetras was missing half its tail 😫😪 anyone know which of the above fish is capable of this? I have decided that it's very possible that my fish have been eaten 😭
    Apology if the pic does not work,,, it is of the neon tetra and altho blury you can make out the top of his tail missing :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think the danios or platies are responsible for the fin nipping. What tetras do you have? I don't know anything about the black knife fish, but a quick google search turned up something called a "black ghost knifefish" (Apteronotus albifrons). If this is the same fish, it is moderately aggressive, particularly towards smaller fish, so it could have definitely been responsible. Also, these fish need very large tanks -- 125 gallons or so--. I don't know how big your tank is, but from he picture it seems way too small for the knifefish, which might contribute to its aggression.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    It would help to know what the "sucky fish" actually is, too

I'm surprised the lady at the pet shop didn't say anything...
    I'm not surprised at all....the majority of employees at LFS's know absolutely nothing about fishkeeping; they are in it to make money, and could not care less if the fish they sell live or die...sad, but true
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 11-17-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Both danios and tetras can be nippy. How big is your tank and how many danios do you have?
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    sorry if you google sucky fish it actually comes up! Aha, correct name is pleco.. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plecostomus

Just an update, I purchased 2 gouranis and 4 guppies to go along with my 2 danios, 2 platys, and my 2 sucky fish. One of my gouranis died on the second day! I went onto facebook and asked for any fish enthusiasts in my town who has a tester to tsst my water, it all came back perfectly fine , which I'm almost sad about because it doesn't explain the deaths and sicknesses...
    I also lost my 3rd danio that has dropsy who was in a hospital tank..
    It's been 8 days since a fish death, my tetra is still in the hospital tank undergoing antibiotic treatment and unfortunately I've also had to add my bright orange platy, respectively named Fanta to the hospital tank because this afternoon I noticed a difference to the scales on top of him, and within two hours my mate discovered white colouring forming, which seems to be getting bigger as the hour.
    I've googled it and it sounds like fungus disease :( which is horrible again... I am at the point where I feel weird driving all the way out of town to the pet shop to tell her my latest fish disease and try to get medication -.-
    I've also started feeding my fish every second days (except my goldfish which are in a seperate tank again)
    My tank is 90 litres. Which I thought was more then enough room.. My black knife fish is known to be aggressive, he has been removed now and lives by himself, unfortunately fish are still dying from illnessrs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   Enjoy the season! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I went onto facebook and asked for any fish enthusiasts in my town who has a tester to tsst my water, it all came back perfectly fine ,
    Would you please post your specific numbers? Several members here are pretty good at being able to help you, but they will need specifics to work with.

My tank is 90 litres. Which I thought was more then enough room..
    This is a 23 gallon tank, and no, I am sorry to inform you that is it not big enough to keep your stocking happy.

You mention some schooling fish (danio and tetra) that are not in a proper sized school. As Laura said, they can be nippy when not in the properly sized school.

In addition, Danios need more swimming length, as well.

Plecos can get very large.

Please do not add in more fish until you can get several things straightened out. If you can return any to your lfs, It would be really good to return particularly the Danio,and both Plecos, plus the black knife, unless you happen to have him in a much larger tank.

I hope you can save your Platy and the tetra (which kind of tetra is it again, please?). The members here are very helpful, but you must be able to provide more information.

Best of luck to you, and I sincerely hope that you do not just give up.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow