· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Goldfish Question

0 Not allowed!
    I could use a little insight here. I recently removed my Oranda from my 72 (which he/she shared with 5 comets and a fan tail) into my planted 25 gallon. I'm treating the water with melafix as his/her fins are looking a little ragged and it looks like a few scales are missing here and there. There were fish in the 25 but I removed them into other tanks so all that is in there with the oranda is a siamese algae eater and an otocinclus. Is it a bad idea to keep these two in there with him? Also, I just did some water testing. Here are my results: PH 7.5 to 7.6; ammonia is 0; nitrite is 0; and nitrate is somewhere between 20 and 40 ppm. Should that constitute another water change? Is there really anything I can do for this fish's overall condition? I try to feed them a varied diet of flakes, pellets, peas and some frozen brine shrimp or blood worms. I'm not as comfortable with goldfish as I am with tropical so I feel I still have more to learn about them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the site - Plecos   Welcome to the AC! - ~firefly~   Full time work and school..good job - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I typically recommend not mixing goldfish and tropical fish. Tropical water temps typically cause goldfish metabolisms to increase, which causes them to eat more, and thus produce more waste, which goldfish are already super high waste producers. The increased waste can create less ideal water conditions which is not good for tropical fish, since goldfish can typically handle less than ideal water conditions. I find aquarium salt is actually rather beneficial to goldfish as it helps replenish slime layers and helps improve gill function, so anytime I start to notice ragged fins or anything along those lines on the goldfish at the LFS I work at, I dose with salt, and the issues usually clear up. As for the nitrates, it may be a good idea to do another water change to bring those down. That is all just my opinion, and Im sure others will have some additional good advice.
    50g Jag tank - 37g discus tank - 30g discus breeding tank - 26g BF Angel tank - 20H guppy breeding tank - 20L turtle tank - 17g planted community tank - 55 gallon discus tank build in progress! (see link)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=120260

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I did take out the heater as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cluce20 View Post
    I find aquarium salt is actually rather beneficial to goldfish as it helps replenish slime layers and helps improve gill function, so anytime I start to notice ragged fins or anything along those lines on the goldfish at the LFS I work at, I dose with salt, and the issues usually clear up.
    Salt should never be used on healthy freshwater fish as a tonic. Only use it for when fish are injured or dealing with ich, velvet, columnaris, or other disease that can be healed by using salt.

Causing the slime layer to increase by using salt is like throwing salt in your eyes when they are excessively dry. Under normal water conditions can you please explain what improving gill function means?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    In my opinion, even that original 72-gallon tank is too small for all those goldfish --- the oranda you had in there plus five comets and a fantail. The comets should be in a pond.

I agree that goldies shouldn't be mixed in with tropicals. And I've found melafix to be generally ineffective.

What kind of filtration do you have on your tanks?

Do you plan to keep the oranda in the 25 only temporarily? Because, a 25-gallon tank is too small for a goldie, too.

If you can provide a photo of this fish in its current condition, the goldie experts here might be able to tell you what's wrong with it, if anything.

Just my plug nickel's worth ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    WELL, THEY ALL HAVE HOB FILTERS AND A FEW HAVE A HYDROSPONGE AS WELL, THE 72 HAS TWO FILTERS ON IT. i WAS CONSIDERING REHOMING ONE OF THE COMETS AS HE IS ABOUT 10 INCHES OR SO LONG. i WASN'T PLANNING ON KEEPING THE ORANDA IN THE 25 PERMANENTLY. TRYING TO GET A PICTURE OF HIM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He wouldn't stop moving long enough for a good photo.

ORANDA1.jpgORANDA2.jpg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How many fancy variety goldfish would you recommend in a 72?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That would depend on what variety and their adult size. Goldfish are very dirty fish and I would guess 2-3 would be the limit. Your Oranda can grow from 6"-10". I found a site that may help you more;

http://thegoldfishtank.com/do-goldfish-need-a-big-tank/

They recommend at least 20 gallons for one fish and then 10 more gallons for every additional fish, which in my opinion may not even be enough. Also your Oranda has different temperature requirements than other goldfish, so I wouldn't recommend anything other than another Oranda to go with it. I would not put plecos in with them as plecos will harass them to get the slime coating off of their bodies and cause ragged fins and sores, stressing them out to other diseases if not killing them outright.

Your filtration needs to be 5x to 10x the tank amount an hour. So if you have a 25 gallon tank it should be filtered with something that can handle 125 to 250 gallons an hour. A 72 gallon tank needs something like 360-720 gph. More is always better with filtration.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wow...there is so much I didn't know about goldfish. I mean you read books and whatnot, but they don't have more than the basics most of the time. I didn't know the fancies got that big. Thanks for the site info.