· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't had goldfish for a while, but they are unfortunately sold as "simple" fish when they have a whole set of needs on their own. I wish you luck with him and your other "goldies". I loved my two and they were with me for many years before they passed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the site - Plecos   Welcome to the AC! - ~firefly~   Full time work and school..good job - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Under normal water conditions can you please explain what improving gill function means?
    During times of stress (such as the high nitrate levels in original post) electrolytes are sometimes lost, which reduces the efficiency of oxygen absorption through the gills, so salt helps replenish those electrolytes even under normal conditions. Small trace levels of salt are found naturally in almost every body of water on earth. Am I suggesting to add enough salt to the tank to make it saltwater, or even brackish water? No. Just a small amount every once in a while is not a bad practice, as most rivers/lakes/streams have trace levels of dissolved salts.
    50g Jag tank - 37g discus tank - 30g discus breeding tank - 26g BF Angel tank - 20H guppy breeding tank - 20L turtle tank - 17g planted community tank - 55 gallon discus tank build in progress! (see link)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=120260

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cluce20 View Post
    During times of stress (such as the high nitrate levels in original post) electrolytes are sometimes lost, which reduces the efficiency of oxygen absorption through the gills, so salt helps replenish those electrolytes even under normal conditions. Small trace levels of salt are found naturally in almost every body of water on earth. Am I suggesting to add enough salt to the tank to make it saltwater, or even brackish water? No. Just a small amount every once in a while is not a bad practice, as most rivers/lakes/streams have trace levels of dissolved salts.
    Actually, adding salt helps to prevent the loss of minerals by raising the TDS levels. The higher the TDS level relative to the body, the slower the mineral loss. Mineral loss happens as a result of stress. Losing minerals too fast leads to sickness and death. Using salt is an old technique used by folks who ship fish. Raising the TDs levels in the shipping bag prevents the stressed out fish from losing minerals too fast, and increasing the survival rate.

One way to aid in gill function is to prevent ntirite poisoning. The fish's gills take in the chloride ion of the salt rather than the toxic nitrite ion, thus preventing "brown blood disease".

Goldfish are part of the carp family and can tolerate a higher nitrate level than most fish.

Still a small amount of salt once in a while is still using the salt as a tonic. There's no reason to add the salt once in a while when the fish is healthy and has "been established" in the tank. There's also no point in add salt to deal with high nitrates when you can fix the problem of high nitrates by doing a water change.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/salt

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2850

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=3075
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-05-2014 at 01:32 AM.