· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Low ph low alkalinity low calcium help

0 Not allowed!
    i guys i am new to this forum please anybody can hell me

im suffering for 3-4 month of low nutrient , low alkalinity , low ph, low calcium in my 100 gallon reef. calcium reactor, kalkwasser and 2 part additives i have to use a lot every day to keep all my levels at minimum only and i even did 60% water change slowly and still everything low and no body can explain me what is going on, i have coraline algae whitening also, i used to have good grow. please need help!

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't know enough about Salt water. I'll bump this for Cliff to see. He might be able to help you. You can PM him if you don't get a response.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Never shake a baby birrrrrrrd! - rebecca_finny   Safe travels, Shenzi! - rebecca_finny   Just Saying Thanks! - Plecos   Here's some candy for your candy bag. - mommy1   More candy for your candy bag - mommy1   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - rebecca_finny   

0 Not allowed!
    Bumpppp ^_^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    What water are you using for the changes/top-ups? What kind of mix are you using, and what salinity do you keep your tank at?
    What "nutrients" are low - generally that's a good thing? What is the pH,alk and cal levels of your change water before going into the tank?

Low pH, low alk, low calcium, are all parameters that are affected by what you are dosing and how you maintain your water. How much are you dosing? Have you tried a different salt mix? Or even a fresh batch of the brand of salt you are currently using?

What do you have in your tank for stock, and hard scape? Whats in your sump? Have you made in changes to the tank or house that may have triggered a change in your tank?

sorry, thats a lot of questions, but low levels can be caused by so many things...
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for a reply sheamurai
    So I'm used to use tropic marine bio active salt and calcium reactor everything was good after everything started going down alk, ph, cal, mag I started using kalkwasse with calcium reactor and even that wasn't enough to maintain numbers so I changed a 60 water with different salt Which I'm still using Red Sea coral pro and still numbers low and I'm running kalkwasse as a top off and 2 part brs still takes a lot like 2000ml of kalkwasser and 200 ml of 2 part brs
    I don't understand what could happened or changed so I have to use crazy amount of additives to maintain my numbers
    Right now my calcium 430 alk 136 ppm mag -1450
    I have 22 small frags mix sps and lps, I have smal to medium peaceful 10 fishes
    I didn't do any changes I added only 6 month ago algae scrubber and no changes in my appartment
    In my sump I have return pump and probes
    And I have a good skimming
    Thanks

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe it takes time to Seattle down I mean ionic balance after water change
    I'm frustrated about all of this happens I don't know how people use calcium reactor as a set and forget
    I wish I can do it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    what about your base water? Is it tap, RO, RO/DI? Auto top-off? what is the pH before you add it? Trying to see if pH is low even before you add or mix it to tank. If that was the case it would be almost impossible to fix after adding to tank.

you used to use calc reactor, but changed to Kalk and BRS dosing since you had problems, correct? Just trying to get a handle on what's been going on and what you are doing currently...

I hope Cliff chimes in on this thread, his tank is more like your set-up than mine was.
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Using tropic marine bio active salt is a form of carbon dosing as that salt contains a additive to preform that function. When using a good skimmer, your nutrients could be too low to even support coraline. Combine the carbon dosing with the supplement dosing you are doings, your level are going to remain off.

I would suggest switching to another good quality salt and us RO water with 0 TDS and complete some daily 10 to 20% water changes for a while. Even a heavy SPS dominated reef can be maintained through dosing only dKH, Cal and Mag along with good weekly water changes. Sometimes the simplest approach can also work well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish to get you started - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I would change the salt your using, I used to use a salt that wasn't so good and my alk levels went through the roof, I couldn't do anything to bring it down, I finally was talked into switching the salt to a more expensive higher quality brand and now my tank doesn't even need additives to keep the calcium and alkalinity stable.