· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arowana Blind ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Take a picture with the test tube in front of the white part of the card. Have it touch the card. The light blue background is making it difficult to see the true color.

Either way, you should have 0ppm ammonia in a properly cycled tank. Having ammonia above 0.25ppm for months will affect the health of your fish. Test ammonia everyday, and when it reaches 0.5ppm, do a 50% water change to bring it down to 0.25ppm. If you really need the zeolite then filter the new water in another large holding container with the zeolite. The container would have to hold at least 50% of the water volume for your aquarium. Use this as the source of your new water for your water changes. Don't use the zeolite in the aquarium.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's another oscar for you! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Alright I have done a 50% water change and it is close to 0ppm now, but his behavior is the same, lack of appetite and unable to see the food floating on top of his head and very much the same condition as I had mentioned in my first post and without any improvements so far, what is to be done?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    the amount of time it takes for a fish to recover from having ammonia in the tank varies from fish to fish.

are you testing for nitrites as well?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thought you needed a gift :) - arkie   for a fellow front lover - sailor   this is the biggest fish they have!! - The Red Severum   For making me smile with your Arow story. - Brookfish   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. keep up with 50% weekly water changes. I would also leave the zeolite out of the canister. I would also consider adding some salt to the tank. this generally helps with distressing and healing.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    keep up with your water changes. have you tried any other foods? I would try some superworms or earthworms.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thought you needed a gift :) - arkie   for a fellow front lover - sailor   this is the biggest fish they have!! - The Red Severum   For making me smile with your Arow story. - Brookfish   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    How big/old is this fish? sorry if I missed it earlier in the post.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's another oscar for you! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I got no notification that there were replies on my thread and hence the late reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    keep up with your water changes. have you tried any other foods? I would try some superworms or earthworms.
    Yes Crispy I am doing weekly water changes and little has changed in his behavior, Superworms/Earthworms/Mealworms are all unavailable in local aquariums and I have inquired in three shops.
    I can order Tubifex worms online, if that's ll help do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Demjor19 View Post
    How big/old is this fish? sorry if I missed it earlier in the post.
    My Aro is still a juvie, he will be 2 years old this April as per certificate.
    And yes I have ordered API Aquarium salt and it should be arriving tomorrow, how often do I have to add it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Add the full amount of salt within a 48 hour period, dissolving in tank water before adding to the aquarium. Maintain the salt level for 2 weeks after adding the full dosage. Whenever you do a water change, add back in the amount of salt removed, so If you added 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and do a 10 gallon water change, you add back in 2 tablespoons. If it is not helping after 2 weeks, I would slowly remove the salt by doing only 25% water changes for at least the first 4 water changes.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 01-04-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    definitely sounds like a water quality issue here. have you checked your water supply for nitrate or heavy metals? I would dose new water with prime and run lots of carbon or chemi-pure in your filters and see if that helps.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!