· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arowana Blind ?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's another oscar for you! - Slaphppy7   

Default Arowana Blind ?

0 Not allowed!
    Well my Red Arowana seems to be not noticing the food (freeze dried shrimp) that I drop into the tank. Well he knows food is there in the tank but he swims furiously round and round as if he can't find it and takes almost a minute to find the food. My Aro was eating tons and almost pouncing on my freeze dried shrimps every time I fed it before and this has never happened.
    This behavior started about a week back, I wouldn't say he's blind because he can see me and turns towards me when I move around in the room and I have three artifacts in my tank and a Boyu SP2500 powerhead that creates a powerful current and he has never bumped into any of the artifacts or onto the tank.

Any ideas why he is exhibiting this behavior ?
    I gave a 60% water change yesterday and will be keeping a close eye on him to see if that changes anything.

The only thing that's new is the temperature its raining here and the room temperature has dropped by 4 degrees and is around 27 degree Celsius, the tank temperature reads 30 degree Celsius, it normally stays at 33 degree Celsius, I guess that due to the heat generated by the power head motor and Canister motor.

I have two heaters one main and other backup both set to 28 degree Celsius, they haven't triggered yet.

So is the drop in temperature causing this behavior?
    Or is it anything else?

Any advise would be great

Thanks guys

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Come on guys any help, is it an infection ? , well its not cloudy eyes I have zoomed in with my camera and had a good look at his eyes and there are no white spots or anything. I had skipped water change by a week before this happened as they had added Chlorine to our water tank and I let the chlorine to die out over the week. How come he is exhibiting loss of vision within a week of not changing water, ammonia poisoning ? I have made a 60% water change as mentioned above and have another water change scheduled for this Sunday. If its an infection kindly let me know if I need to add any medication, I have Paraguard and Stress Guard as a standby. He is also slowing loss of appetite and strange behavior ( swimming at a particular corner of the tank).

FYI : My Canister contain Aquarium Grade Sponge, Ceramic Rings, Activated Carbon, Seachem Matrix and Zeolite.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

1 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with this fish or its particular needs/ problems. But I'll bump your thread for you.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Still no replies ?
    His condition is still the same and he has had his second 50% water change too.
    Any ideas whats wrong ? He is not observing the shrimps that are floating on top of his head and takes a few minutes to eat each one.
    I am desperate to get any advise.

Thanks guys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Can you give us a pic?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Why do you have zeolite in your canister? This removes the food source for the good bacteria and mess up your cyle. How long has the zeolite been in there? Eventually this stops working, and ammonia will then start to rise. If you are not testing for ammonia, then you won't know when zeolite is no longer effective. I would use an ammonia liquid test kit.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Why do you have zeolite in your canister? This removes the food source for the good bacteria and mess up your cyle. How long has the zeolite been in there? Eventually this stops working, and ammonia will then start to rise. If you are not testing for ammonia, then you won't know when zeolite is no longer effective. I would use an ammonia liquid test kit.
    I replace the zeolite every month when I clean the canister and I have kept zeolite as part of the canister media since I got the canister 8 months ago which is about the same time as I have the Aro, so I wouldn't think that zeolite is the issue as I don't have it to remove ammonia, we have hard water here and in hard water zeolite absorbs calcium and magnesium from the water instead of ammonia which is why it is there, I haven't changed the canister contents and they are standardized since I have the fish, I replaced the aquarium sponge and zeolite every month and activated carbon every two months.

I wouldn't think it is related to a ammonia spike, I am changing his water by 50% every week after this happened and there is never any such thing as uneaten food in the tank, I have been feeding him shrimps one at a time ever since I had him that's 8 months.

The only things that are new are the cyclone here which made the tank temperature drop by 4 degrees and I had guests in the house for about 5 days and he was exhibiting this behavior after that, so is it related to stress ?

Quote Originally Posted by afro123 View Post
    Can you give us a pic?
    Forget the pic I can give you a video but I have had him for 8 full months and I myself can't find anything wrong with him physically, his eyes are fine and he is not blind.
    Last edited by fishery; 11-05-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/fi...-Aquariums.htm

Any ammonia produced by the fish is adsorbed by the zeolite. How do you stop that chemical process from naturally happening? Remove the zeolite for a week and test for ammonia using a liquid test. If you have 0ppm ammonia, then you have a large enough bacteria colony.

Zeolite formulated for freshwater aquarium use will readily absorb ammonia...
    http://www.galleries.com/zeolite_group

http://www.pfpc.unimelb.edu.au/peopl...cations/41.pdf

...on the adsorption characteristics of the zeolite in terms of ammonia capacity at varying solution concentrations.
    The natural zeolite, clinoptilolite, is highly selective for ammonium ions,
    compared with most other cations...
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-05-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Alright I ll try that I have ordered a API ammonia test kit and I ll remove the zeolite right away and we shall have the results on monday most probably.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright test results:

With Zeolite:

10 Days after Zeolite Removal:

I think the ammonia content was at 2.0ppm with zeolite and it looks like 0.50ppm after removing zeolite, do correct me if I am wrong.

But there is no improvement from my Aro, he is still searching for food as if he is blind but he is positively not bumping into the artifacts.
    What is wrong with him any insight would be useful and highly appreciated.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by fishery; 11-19-2014 at 12:38 PM.